“Service & quality has gone downhill since we started going there”
Review of Willstan's Grill - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Willstan's Grill
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We use to go to this restaurant on a very regular bases, however, that has changed. My parents had just recently relocated to this area in December 2010 and we wanted to introduce them to our favorite little restaurant. It was a very disappointing experience. The service was more than terrible. We had to stop any wait staff passing by to get anything we needed. Our food was cold when it came out, which was not what we had grown accustom to when eating here. We had to ask the hostess to get our check when we were ready to leave because we had been waiting for our server to come back for 20 mins. With all of this my husband and I chalked it up to a bad night and decided to try again in May of this year. Again, what a disappointment. My husband and I both had to send our mixed drink back because they didn't taste anything like they were supposed to. The second time wasn't any better, but we decided to choke them down. My drink was part of happy hour, but because I didn't like the first one there was no point in trying the 2nd round. The server said it must have been because of the dish machine residue. I found this to be a very impolite way of making excuses for a bad bartender. Again our food was not the customary good food, so we decided it was not worth going back ever again. I'm not sure if it was a change in management, but this time we were not visited at our table by the manager, as we had experienced on previous visits. It's a shame they can't keep up the quality and service on a consistent bases, they probably wouldn't lose as much business if they would. Their selection of food is nice, but if it's not warm when you get it there is no point. There prices are reasonable, however, again if the quality is not there, what's the point.

Reviewed April 5, 2011

We arrived at the restaurant at about 6:15pm. Our server was very friendly and delightful. I’m not sure where the breakdown occurred but it was very bad. I usually come to restaurant with my husband and our two kids. This time I had my two little kids and I invited my cousin and her son. I really wanted them to experience what a great place Wilstan’s can be. I suggested that they come along with me. By the end of the experience I was thoroughly embarrassed and angered.
We ordered our food at about 6:20. At the time, I told the waitress that I will also be ordering a meal for my son to take home. At that time we agreed that she would put the meal in near the end of our stay to ensure freshness. Our food ended up coming at around 6:50. It was a long time because my cousin and her son started making comments about it. Then, when our food finally arrived all of our fries were cold. I had ordered creamed spinache with my sandwich and received cold fries instead. I also requested that my little son’s burger be cut in half, it was not. My Patty melt bread was extremely hard!!!! I looked at my cousin’s patty melt and her bread was slightly burned and she started complaining about her bread being hard!!!! It was just NOT a good night. But, we were not going to complain. But then, the waitress came up to me and gave me a bill which entailed a kid’s food item. I ordered two adult entrees which meant that my kid’s meals were free. But, the waitress told me that the manager said that I had to pay for my son’s Mac n’ cheese because it was not a side item. We were not given this information while ordering. So, at this time my cousin asked to speak to the manager. We were already silently upset, but to receive an incorrect bill really made both of us angry.
This is really when things got BAD!!!!!!!!!!! A young woman came from the back named Candace. She asked us what was wrong. At this time, she went through all of our complaints and gave me excuses for each. She said that our wait time for our food was “average and acceptable”. She then told us that another reason for the sub service was that they were understaffed. In fact she said that she was cooking!!!! Then, she explained to me that the reason why my son’s sandwich was not cut in half was because she just read the ticket given to her and that it did not say to cut the sandwich. She also told me that my ticket did not indicate spinach, but instead fries (my waiter apologized for this). As a customer, the last thing I wanted to hear was a bunch of excuses!!!!!!!!!! I pay for good service and that is what I expect. If I wanted questionable service and food we would’ve gone to McDonald’s or Sir Pizza. I really believe that the owners of Wilstan’s strive for good service and good food. It is really sad that their employees cannot maintain that standard of excellence while the owners are not in house. I really think that the employees need to be better trained. As a Manager myself, Candace giving me excuses made me sick to my stomach!!!!!!!!!!! A customer should never be told, “We are short-handed”.

2  Thank Restaurantier