“Unfriendly Bed and Breakfast,”
Review of Teac Campbell

and 1 more site!
Teac Campbell
Ranked #2 of 6 Bunbeg B&B and Inns
England
“Unfriendly Bed and Breakfast,”
Reviewed March 24, 2008

We recently stayed at Teac Campbell and had an awful stay. We felt very unwelcome during our stay, the service was lacking throughout and the whole place could do with a good clean and dust!

The welcome tea and coffee were served in chipped cups. We had to chase for a room key, the towels were hard and crusty..clearly softener had never been used!

We waited for over 20 minutes for breakfast and nobody came. During this time we could hear coughing and spluttering coming from the kitchen..hardly appetising. We then gave up as we didn't fancy eating here anymore and picked up breakfast elsewhere.

The other Bed and Breakfasts we stayed at during our trip were outstanding..shame we couldn't say the same for this place.

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank kat83083

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed October 12, 2007

Stayed here many times over the years. This is an example of a classic Irish country B&B (Guesthouse) with a genuine family welcome.

This is my favourite part of rural Ireland. Some nice pubs and hotel restaurants nearby.

Highly recommended.

• Liked — Lovely location and the friendliness of the Campbell family
  • Stayed July 2003, traveled on business
4 Thank leex
Cork
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We had a lovely stay here. Family run B & B - the family were lovely. Their personal photos all over the place and loads of interesting memorabilia on the walls. We had a grand large room. Very good value for money. Basic, but clean and comfortable. Lovely view over Bunbeg. We would stay here again

• Liked — homely feel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank MaryCork
Dublin
Reviewed November 10, 2006

I'm just back from a very enjoyable trip down memory lane in Donegal. As a kid I went to the gaeltacht to learn Irish in Gweedore many (many) years ago and always thought about going back but never got round to it. So last week I decided to go back again and take my family in tow.

This time instead of a bus from Dublin with 50 other kids we went in style travelling with Aer Arann from Dublin to Donegal Airport which is only 10-15 minutes from Gweedore. The flight was only 35 minutes so it flew by.

We hired a car at the airport and drove to Bunbeg to our guesthouse Teac Campbell. Believe it or not this was the place where I stayed all those years ago when I was a kid! The place has been extended and improved since then but Charlie and Maire are as friendly as ever.

That evening we took the kids for a walk through Bunbeg to Hudi Beags pub. Its amazing the way you can smell the turf burning in the houses and hear the noise of the Atlantic in the background as you walk along the road

On the saturday morning after a big breakfast we all went down to the beach for a walk and walked from Bunbeg to Derrybeg. Later we took the car and went for a spin around the parish and went to Bloody Foreland where the view was just spectacular.

On the Sunday we even managed to climb up Errigal mountain,
which was just about possible for our youngest (6 year old). The last I climbed it I was 14 and it was a lot easier back then!

We had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend in Gweedore and my only regret is that I waited so long between visits.

• Liked — The rooms are very comfortable (eu-suite, tv etc) but they also had a Huge family room that catered for all of us with room to spare. We had a room with a view of the islands. Owners are very friendly and helpful
  • Disliked — It doesn't have a bar.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room with a view of the islands. Get up early and walk off the breakfast on the beach
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank PMC01
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 27, 2005

this was a excellent little irish bb charlie and marie made me and my girlfriend right at home. i feel at home anyway because my family is from bunbeg but nothing was to much trouble. a fantasic breakfast in the morning which set me up for a hard days drinking. i am well coming back next year.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 8, 2004

While the accommodations are very modest, the hospitality is grand, the best in Ireland! We had a very enjoyable time with Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, they went out of their way to make us feel welcome. This is a truly family friendly establishment, and the breakfasts were great. After dismal experiences in Waterford and Clifden at much pricier establishments where my children were clearly unwelcome, we were very relieved to see that Irish hospitality is alive and well in Donegal! Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are oustanding hosts, and Bunbeg is a wonderful community. A hidden treasure in Ireland, even at this date! Excellent for a 3 star B&B.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dumfries, Scotland
Reviewed May 28, 2004

Having relatives from this area, we go across almost every year. We aren't looking for anywhere spectacular to stay, just somewhere nice & friendly with comfortable rooms, and Campbell's certainly fits the bill. This year we (Me, my wife and 2 year old girl) had a large room with 2 double beds and a spectacular view across the Atlantic. Nothing flash, but just what we want. Mr & Mrs Campbell are so nice (they do know us as members of our family have been staying at their guest house for years, but they seem to be like this with everyone). One morning they forgot to give me coffe and Mrs Campbell came racing out to me in the car park to try to give me some when she realised.
The area itself is superb for scenery, as I'm sure you'll know, the roads are a bit dodgy, but much imporved on when I first started going over, and you've got to make sure you visit, Errigal and Dunlewey.
Jack's and Leo's are the famous local restuarants/bar lounges, and both are very good, but I don't think you can beat the Forland Heights, if not for the food (which is very good) then for the spectacular view it gives you while you eat your meal.

• Stayed May 2004
11 Thank Stuart_McLaren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunbeg
Caisleain Oir Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh
Teac Jack
Teac Jack
#1 of 6 in Bunbeg

Been to Teac Campbell? Share your experiences!