“Indifferent hosts, and run-down facilities”
Review of Bunbeg House

Bunbeg House
Ranked #5 of 6 Bunbeg B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The website of the Bunbeg House is just like a trailer for a new movie: You are going to see only the greatest hits, and the pictures were taken on the best days of the year.
What you don't see is the fact that the waterway is, in fact, a mass of rundown boats sitting on trailers with flat tires. The hallway carpet in the room areas is so nasty looking that you're afraid to walk on it in your socks for fear of getting them dirty.
Good luck getting wifi to work. Apparently, the hosts have entrusted that with a young son. In her words, "It should work. I haven't tested it, but I don't see why it wouldn't." Well, it does work... marginally... in ONE room of the entire place.
Breakfast was pretty good--I'll give them that. After it was served up, however, they never came back out. When I needed another cup of coffee I had to poke my head into the kitchen. After my cup was refilled they closed the door so I couldn't just "wander in" again.
The bottom line: The rooms were cold, the atmosphere uninviting, the hosts were never around, and the outside boat/dock area looked like a slum. Find yourself another place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Bunbeg House

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I were in the Donegal because our daughter was on a school trip and having a medical condition we had to be nearby. We chose Bunbeg House because it was only about 1/2 a mile from where our daughter was staying and the added bonus was that they permit you to take your dog. Any dog lovers who haven't had a break because they cannot leave their dog should try Bunbeg House you won't regret it.

We were given a very warm welcome from the proprietors Andy & Jean and were shown around. We knew beforehand that evening meals and bar snacks are only available at certain times of the season. Since we were going to be out most of the day with the dog, breakfast suited our requirements. We brought our own food back to the room one of the evenings so flexibility and not being tied to meal times suits us.

Andy & Jean are an encyclopaedia of local tourist knowledge and were willing to take the time to share this with guests. As it was our first time in the area we appreciated this and to know that there were plenty of places to walk our dog was music to our ears.

The room we had was immaculately clean and spacious. The rooms were cleaned with fresh towels left each morning. It was from home to home.

It was a stress free break and we are definitely returning as a family before the end of the summer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was a 4th time returning guest to this Hotel, having been there only two weeks previous to this stay 7/8th June 2013. On my stay 2 weeks ago, I arrived in at about 9pm as arranged and to find that no food was being served, so having checked-in I had to drive to find somewhere to eat. Next morning breakfast was served as requested at 8am and all was quite fine, a nice spread of cereals, fruit salad, yogourt etc coffee was fresh and fried breakfast was fine. I spoke to the propietier and asked about the evening meal situation and I was assured that from "next week" that food would be available, and on that promise I booked a further stay.

I arrived back at the hotel at 9pm as arranged for my 4th stay here and checked-in and arranged breakfast for 8am the next morning as like the previous 3 stays and again found out to my dissapiontment that there was no evening meal available and yet again having checked-in I had to jump into the car and go in search of an evening meal. I as like the previous times stressed that I was working in the local Mountains area and had to be with people for 9am and thats why breakfast for 8am was important.

Next morning I went down to the dining room at 7:55am to the place in silence, no spread laid-out and the coffe machine off and cold and no activity in the Kitchen. I rambled around making sounds to try attract some attention but to no avail, so on my sixth time back to the dining room at 8:25am I met with the propriters wife, whom I had booked breakfast with the eveing before and asked why there was no service and explained the importance of my timings as I had clients to meet at 9am. She proceeded to insist that she was in the kitchen since 7:45 am and I disputed this with her and explained that at 8:25am that there was stuill nothing laid out in the dining rooma nd that the coffee was not even on. She then reacted by stating that she "does not lay out a buffet at weekends" but I reminded her that I was there 2 weeks previous and that there was a spread laid out and like my two other previous stays before, but she was argumentative and not at all apologetic for failing to provide anything by way of a reasonable explanation as to why there was no breakfast.

Well, all I could do was head off for a 12 hour day in the mountains with no breakfast and a very bad taste in my mouth for the contempt shown to a loyal 4th time returning guest that will never return again nor would I reccommend to anyone this "hotel"

Customer relations was completely absent from this place and if they cannot value the importance of a returning guests schedule then they don't deserve business.

So I left and found another hotel (An Cuirt Gweedore) and was treated as a valued guest and actually was able to have an evening meal in the hotel that I was a guest in.

Shame on you Bunbeg House Hotel for your failure to value a returning guest to your premises, you must not need the money so.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank mickptre
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was part of the group of 13 bikers from Yorkshire, fortunately I arrived after the main group so i missed all of the booking in problems, my opinion is, it's an ideal location if you like peace and quiet, it's a comfortable accommodation but the lack of visible staff either means they were over trustworthy or we were a burden to them. When we booked we did only book B & B and I'm pleased they couldn't help with evening mean as the service at breakfast wasn't what you would expect. Spoke to the owner he seemed a nice chap but he didn't put himself out. We asked for the heating to be turned on to dry the biking clothes, it wasn't.

Trying for positives for you, trustworthy, comfortable rooms that's as much as I can get.

Room Tip: If you stay in Bunbeg book at taxi to the local pub, good food and atmosphere.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mitch250990
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We arrived on a rainy Sunday afternoon,a group of 13 bikers from Yorkshire. On arrival it felt like we weren’t expected as the owner and his wife stood at the bottom of the stairs with a handful of keys whilst we waited to be advised which rooms we were allocated. My room didn’t have a key and I had to wait a further 20 minutes before I could take off my wet waterproofs and unpack my luggage before I was given the “one and only” master key for my room. Once the key had been sorted I asked the owner if the restraunt was open that evening and if they could seat all 13 of us together. He told me yes they served bar snacks, and should go down and see later. When we all met in the bar later, we were told we could have crisps and nuts or toasties and the only drinks were in bottles as they didn’t switch the pumps (or the heating) on until later in the season. We promptly booked a taxi to a nearby pub and had a brilliant night there.
At breakfast we were “sarcastically” thanked for all coming down together (we hadn’t it was just that the owner couldn’t cope and everyone was sat waiting for tea and coffee) they ran out of orange juice and glasses. It was only the young lady that served us that managed to get us the right food.
This hotel has big rooms, a lovely quiet location with ample parking, but unfortunately the lack of an “irish welcome” lets it down.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you are looking for 5-star, glossy tables, superficial warmth from staff doing only their duty, coupled with impersonal service, then this is not the place for you. But, if real relaxation, a slower pace of life, and quality down time, are on your agenda, then Bunbeg House is definitely the place for you!

What makes this place unique is the attentiveness of the proprietors Andy and Jean and how they look after you and advise on everything from island hopping and sea fishing to walking and cycle tours and gourmet evenings (all provided nearby).

The fact that the B&B is located in a beautiful harbour inlet fed by a river which eventually meets the sea, makes for a unique experience of peace and tranquility. Within 5-10 mins walking distance there are many opportunities to sample the local cuisine of this beautiful area, whilst later escaping back to the tranquility of Bunbeg House which, in the peak of summer, has its own privately run bar to relax in as the sun goes down over the boats and the harbour. An excellent breakfast in the most relaxing of atmospheres is assured each morning.

The silence is wonderful whilst the conversations can be mighty.

Having stayed there many times and planning to go back soon, I would definitely recommend Bunbeg House.

Lyle

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2013

As it was a bank holiday the last Monday in may i booked a few days to Bunbeg house.We arrived at lunchtime and were greeted by the owner Andy who was really welcoming.He showed us to our room which was basic but it was spotless.We had a lovely view off the harbour.There is a bar here but as it was early in the season it was not opened.It is only a 10 minute walk into the town.The breakfast was excellent,we helped ourselves to cereal and juice and our order was taken and it was no time at all we were tucking into a lovely fry,with tea and coffee and toast.We would reccomend the Bunbeg house as a relaxing away from it all break.Andy and his wife Jean are are always there to help.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunbeg
An Chuirt, Gweedore Court Hotel
#1 of 6 in Bunbeg
Teac Campbell
Teac Campbell
#2 of 6 in Bunbeg

Been to Bunbeg House? Share your experiences!