“Not what I was expecting!!!!”
Review of Jackson's Hotel

Jackson's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights as a member of a bridal party, when I checked in with the bride we were not greeted in a very friendly way even when she stated she was getting married in the hotel the day after. We went to the room which was lovely, only the pillows on the bed were as hard as rocks to lie on and the shower was freezing cold. The flower-girl (who was only 3 years old) and the bride had to resort to taking a cold shower the night before the wedding because even when I called down to reception to report this problem I was told it would be sorted within 30 minutes which we didn't mind waiting, only it was never resolved and this was a result of it - disgraceful. This was also the same for the Saturday morning also.

We ordered breakfast to be delivered to our room for all of the bridal party when hair and makeup was going on. The breakfast came and to be quite frank was luke warm, as well as the portions of toast being hard as a brick. :(
The wedding itself was lovely, but only mainly to the hard work of the bride herself, I felt everything was rushed from beginning to end during the meal which was lovely thankfully. The band was ordered to stop playing at 1pm which was fine due to not disturbing other hotel guests. The next day however we were staying for a so called after party of the wedding - most certainly not what you would call an after party, so had no choice but to head to our rooms early. We had to go to bed with the disturbance of the wedding band playing that night which got to play until 3am in the morning despite numerous complaints from ourselves and other guests staying there, we could hear every word to the songs played as well as our rooms vibrating with the bass - absolute joke.
When my fiance went to pay our bill for the room the receptionist was rude and unfriendly and could do with some training in customer service - she didn't even make eye contact with him.
I would also like to add that if you plan on having your wedding here don't bet on being spoiled by the hotel staff as its your wedding, the bride and groom didn't even receive a bottle of champagne in their bridal suite despite the cost they were out on the wedding itself,.

On a positive note I will add some of the waiting staff were pleasant and helpful especially Ciara the manager in the bistro, she was a wee gem and couldn't do enough for you - thank you Ciara :) and a lovely young fella who waited at our wedding and 'after party' I wish I could remember his name.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the new side of the hotel if there is a wedding or function on as you will not get...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lillie123
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lengthy review of Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of our guests feedback as it helps us to constantly improve upon our offering.

I do sincerely apologise for any issues that you experienced during your stay with us. I have passed your comments directly onto the relevant department managers as this is not the level of standards that we adhere to.

We have over 65 years experience in hosting successful weddings, an outstanding reputation along with a highly skilled and hardworking wedding team. It is an area that we always receive such high praise so I am very surprised by your review, but thank you for providing us with it.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jacksons Hotel again in the future.

Jennie

Write a ReviewReviews (1,535)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Just back after 2 nights at this hotel and yes it is in need of an upgrade but the room was very clean and generally it was okay, my only complaint was that weekending 4th June there were wedding on the Friday and Saturday night great for the hotel but not for us as the the people attending made noise running up and down the corridor until 5.30am on the Fri/ Sat and on the Sat /Sun morning they was a group off about 6 singing in the Garden of the hotel until 6.30am and the management just let them ,I'm not a killjoy and love to see people having a good time but common sense from the management should stop have called time and did'nt ,very disappointed as the staff are very friendly.

Room Tip: Don't go if there is a wedding as you will get very little sleep
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. I do sincerely apologise for any noise disturbance that you encountered during your stay with us. We do allocate non wedding guests rooms away from the wedding party in order to reduce noise disturbance. Unfortunately as much as the night porter tries to control and reduce the noise levels of some guests, this can be something beyond our control.

This level of noise disruption is unacceptable and not to the level that we adhere to, I have passed your comments onto our General Manager who will ensure this doesn’t happen again.
We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jacksons Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Arrived on Easter Saturday chair collapssed in room,reported and maintenance came and removed it but did not ask if anyone was hurt. Service in hotel bar was terrible, no one to clear tables, had to do that ourselves. Breakfast was awful, sat 20 minutes before i realised i had to help myself to my own tea and coffee, no one told me this, only 1 toaster for all residents so you can imagine they queue. Think staff at least could bring tea, coffee and toast down or .at least provide trays for this Service in bistro 40 min for 1 sandwich and seafood soup and if we hadnt asked if was ready we would propbably still be waiting for it. Got 1 night taken off bill for chair incident but still wasnt worth money for 3 nights. Jacksons does not live up to name they once had and this was confirmed by locals. Caroline and Joe

Room Tip: Check chair out before you sit on them.
3  Thank Bernadette W

Dear Guest,

I am extremely disappointed that you felt our service was ‘awful’. We were extremely busy over the Easter period and we had taken on additional staff to cater for this. We want all of our guests to experience our famous Jackson Hospitality and I do apologise if you didn’t experience this fully.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jacksons Hotel again in the future and if you could please contact me directly on marketing@jacksons-hotel.ie so I can personally ensure that you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Just back from a 2 night break- party of 5 (1 child). Had purchased a Treat ticket offer and to be honest would not be happy with rack rate for a hotel that is in a bit of a timewarp. Non wedding guests are located in the older part of the hotel- rooms are good size but decor outdated- over bath showers and very creaky beds. Breakfast is basic- not total self service and very tiny plates for a full Irish- for anyone with gluten allergy little choice. Had one meal in the Bistro and out of 5 people only one had a decent meal- a chicken sandwich. Burnt sausages for child and non crispy skin on fish- basic cooking esp when it wasnt overly busy. Leisure facilities need updated in terms of decor and pool is freezing. All in all - just ok but not 4 star..for full price I would visit Villa Rose instead.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MrsDW300

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Jacksons Hotel for your recent visit to Donegal. Guests not attending a wedding in the hotel are allocated rooms in the opposite wing of the hotel so they are not disturbed by noise. I am disappointed that you didn’t fully enjoy your stay with us and it is a pity that you didn’t mention your issues to a member of staff during your stay. I have passed your feedback onto the relevant department managers, as this is not the level of standards that we adhere to.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Hi all stayed in Jackson hotel this wend and we so enjoyed our stay. After reading all the reviews I did not know what to expect, we stayed in the older wing of the hotel the room was a little dated but very clean, warm and comfortable what else can you ask for.We walked around the new wing and it was amazing. Some reviews used the words old and dated but I just loved it the bar was not all modem which you get in most hotels but nice and relaxing old style,do we all forget where we come from. The restaurant was lovely and tasty compliments to the chef. I loved the way I saw the family who owed the hotel all working and talking to the guests as they went from one department to another. Hope to go soon again

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 102LKG
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Jacksons Hotel on your recent visit to Ballybofey. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and got to experience the different themes and facilities that we offer.
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Wife and I spent wonderful weekend over the Easter. Nothing too much trouble for friendly helpful staff. Excellent value and good food. Easy access to adjacent Drumboe Woods ideal for long leisurely walks. On this occasion fantastic weather added the final touch. Definitely plan to make this an annual event.

Room Tip: Pretty much any view of the river but if you can have river views from two outside walls you get a v...
2  Thank PilotOBrien

Dear Guest,

I am thrilled that you & your wife had an enjoyable Easter weekend stay with us and thank you for choosing Jacksons Hotel. Our staff members will be delighted by your kind comments, thank you for sharing these on Trip Advisor.
The Drumboe Woods certainly is a beautiful walkway, we are so lucky to be situated beside it and the River Finn.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next year and hopefully we will be blessed with more fantastic weather.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Spent 2 days with my fiance in jacksons after the Easter holidays and went home disappointed. We went there very excited about going to a 4 star hotel (3 at best) hoping to get some spa treatments but after requesting a couple of times and leaving my number no one bothered to contact me. Wi-fi also doesn't work in new part of the hotel which was quite annoying and even more so when management dont want to help!! Sauna needs some attention, sheeting boards are jus about hanging on, be careful if your tall as some nails are hanging out of them and could lead to a very sore head. Food just ok. Also don't expect a sleep in as there is rooster at the side of the building makes sure you dont. Hotel staff unfriendly and unhelpful. Won't be returning any time soon.

This is my first time using trip advisor but so disappointed with the hotel I had to get my say in.
(Young couple)

2  Thank Shawn B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am extremely disappointed that you didn't fully enjoy your stay with us, had you notified a member of our reception team of any issues that you encountered during their stay they would have done their upmost to rectify these immediately.
Our staff members are renowned for their hospitality and service, I am disappointed that you didn't experience this. We take all guest feedback on board as we use it to constantly improve our offering. I have passed your comments onto the relevant department managers and hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jacksons Hotel in the near future.

Jennie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Villa Rose Hotel
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Mount Errigal Hotel
Mount Errigal Hotel
#6 of 12 in Letterkenny

Been to Jackson's Hotel? Share your experiences!