“Nice hotel let down by awful spa experience”
Review of Jackson's Hotel

Jackson's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Antrim, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel let down by awful spa experience”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We were given a weekend and meal in Jackson's as a gift, bought on Groupon, the hotel was nice, food was lovely, staff were helpful. The pool is a good size, there is a small paddling area for kids, not really anywhere for little ones to swim except main adult pool, but staff gave us floats to use. We probably would rate this a lot higher except we booked in to get treatments as we had discount vouchers as part of our gift, and when we went to check about them no one could help us. Spa staff didn't come in till late Saturday morning, and we had to hang about, by the afternoon we found out they had cancelled our appointments as since the time we booked they had put new criteria in that you have to have a deposit. No one rang us to let us know or we would have put down a deposit. They then had no space to take us and so we lost the use of the discount vouchers. As the spa operates on its own rules inside the hotel, the hotel didn't help us. I think it is ridiculous that customers appointments would be cancelled without any notice, and we were really disappointed at missing out. As we had been given the vouchers as gifts Groupon wouldn't act on our behalf either and make the spa account for itself, and we didn't want to embarrass our friends by letting them know how badly it went. I really think this hotel needs to look into the spa that it has in its building, because how it operates reflects on the hotel itself. The Groupon was bought considering the spa discount and so our friends paid for something we didn't get. From our experience would we go back? No.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed our food and found our staff members to be helpful. It is very disappointing that you didn't get to utilise the spa vouchers. The spa is operated independently and they handle all bookings and treatments. I have spoken to the owner of the spa about the issues that you experienced and she tried on numerous occasions to contact you in relation to the change in your treatment. Alternative times were offered but unfortunately these didn't suit.
I do hope this doesn't deter you from returning to Jacksons Hotel in the future as we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again.

Jennie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We recently stayed in Jacksons hotel on a recent family holiday. We paid for the privledge of a riverview room in the new part of the hotel.

Firstly our room was lovely. The view was stunning and we were so happy with our choice.

We had a lovely meals in the Bistro on each day we were there. Unfortunately the service was terrible. We waited ages to be seated regardless of the fact the bistro had two people at tables. Upon being seated our waitress told us she was too busy cleaning the back up she forgot to seat us. When we were seated we waited almost 20 mins for her to return to take our order. She returned to explain she forgot about us again.

As this was a family holiday with our 9 month old baby we decided to avail of early eating times to work around baby. However when we went for breakfast each morning at 7.30am (opening time) we were asked to come back as they werent ready. We went back at 7.40am and we were seated. Only to be told breakfast (cooked) wasnt ready yet. We were hoping that the breakfast would be served at the time advertised.

The family friendly hotel is not family friendly....

As stated previously we were here on a family break however the hotel was the nosiest hotel at night we have ever stayed in. On Friday there seemed a lot of parties. Lots of running around and doors slamming. It was not a great nights sleep. However the Saturday was awful. We paid the privledge of staying in the new bit of the hotel. Our room however was a floor above the function room. There was a wedding that night and we could hear every single word of the singers voice. The speakers were blasting constant. It was so noisey our baby (who normally sleeps the night through) was woken several times. The music lasted until well after 1am. I understand hotels are duel purpose and I would never begrudge a bridal party the most outstanding wedding. However i feel provisions could have been made to put families in another area of the hotel.

Overall the stay was mediocre with some lovely parts although mainly disappointing.

We were in town for a family reunion and a number of the families were staying in the Villa Rose or Kees. None of them had any complaints with noise or service. Next time I know we will be staying in either place.

• Stayed March 2014
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Jacksons Hotel and I am thrilled that you enjoyed our deluxe rooms with review views. I do sincerely apologise for any noise disruption and service issues that you experienced during your stay with us. This is certainly not the level of standards that we adhere to. I am extremely disappointed that you left our establishment feeling unsatisfied as we normally receive such high praise from families about our excellent family friendly facilities.

I would be delighted if you could contact me directly at marketing@jacksons-hotel.ie and allow me the chance to rectify the situation.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Jennie

Travelers are raving about these Ballybofey hotels

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I brought my 8 year old daughter and all day there was saint Patrick's day stuff on like a disco and also she made loads of friends and they played in bar and no one bothered about them. I strongly advice you to stay there and bring your dogs too.

Room Tip: 3rd floor has a library
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank catie s
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review Jacksons Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am absolutely delighted that you and your daughter had an enjoyable stay with us. Our St Patricks Family Fun day was a fantastic event and a big hit with everyone.

Hopefully we will be welcoming you back to Jacksons again very soon.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We went to Jacksons hotel on a weekend break & I have to say it was fantastic,all the staff were so friendly & nothing was a problem for them.The entertainment was excellent for the children & the food was just beautiful..Thankyou Jacksons Hotel for making our wee break really enjoyable

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Frances M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Jacksons Hotel for your recent break to Donegal. I am delighted that you had a fantastic weekend stay with us and that you thoroughly enjoyed our staff, entertainment and food.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We have just spent a very disappointing weekend here. We were in the old part of the hotel. On first arriving I noticed a few scraps of paper on our bedroom floor and cobwebs in quite a few places but choose to ignore and not let it spoil our break. Bedroom was very tired and dated but bed and bathroom clean so we decided to make the most of it. Dinner in the bistro was really a good as we're the staff. Breakfast was overlooked and dried out and the service here was dreadful, we were sat down to a dirty table, my husband asked three times for a tea pot and cup and was eventually given just that, a cup but no saucer nor spoon. I found the hair dryer in our room was not working and requested another one, after 70 mins and a lot of hassle I was brought to a different room to dry my hair, no hair dryer was ever left to our room. The manager on duty (Damien) spoke to us during our meal and said he would make it up to us, we are still waiting, not even a complimentary drink was sent to our table. I had heard mixed reviews about this hotel and decided to try for myself but it was worse than faulty towers and we will not return. It is a pity such a good restaurant is being pulled down by such poor quality and service in the hotel. Get your act together Jackson's and look after your customers.

Room Tip: Choose one in a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaulineW209938
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am extremely disappointed that you didn't fully enjoy your stay with us. Breakfast was particularly busy that weekend and I sincerely apologise for any delays that you encountered, these are certainly not the level of standards that we adhere to.
Should you had of informed reception of any dissatisfaction with your room upon arrival they would have done their upmost to provide you with a satisfactory alternative.

I would be delighted if you returned to Jacksons Hotel again in the future and should you do please contact me directly and I will personally ensure that you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have just returned from a lovely break at Jacksons and I can honestly say I have nothing at all to complain about. The Hotel is in a fantastic location and the staff are super friendly nothing was too much trouble. We had a fantastic room over looking the river Finn. Breakfast was lovely plenty off fresh local produce and a roaring fire with complimentary newspaper to while away the hours. Legend has it the Irish Coffee was first discovered by a member of the Jackson family, that may or may not be true but the Irish Coffee we had last night was undoubtedly the best I have ever had.
Loved every minute of it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank melissa m
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for sharing your kind comments on Trip Advisor. Our staff members are absolutely thrilled with your comments, it is great for them to be acknowledged for their hard work.

Mr Joseph Jackson did indeed invented the first ever Irish Coffee right here in Jacksons Hotel. He served the Gaelic Coffee (as it was then called) to cold and weary travellers in a cup for 1/6p.

Hopefully we will be making you another one of our famous Irish Coffees very soon.

Kilkeel, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Lovely entrance and lovely pool but everything else was awful. We were on a groupon deal and were treated very poorly. Our room was dirty, no pillow slips on one bed and dirty ones on the other, cracked sink, dirty bath, awful dinner, and much more. On checking out I spoke with the receptionist who was mortified. We said we would not be back but she gave us a voucher for one nights b+b which we will add on to our next trip to Keys Hotel. I had heard great reviews about this hotel over Christmas but we experienced none of this until checkout. Very very disappointing but will use our voucher to see if things have improved.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank donalddj
Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologise for any issues that you experienced during your stay with us, this is certainly not the levels of standards that we adhere to. I would glad that you explained your issues with our receptionist upon checkout and that she gave you a complimentary voucher to return to us again.
It would be great if you could also contact me directly marketing@jacksons-hotel.ie when you are returning so I can personally ensure you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon and I am certain that you will see a vast improvement.

Jennie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Villa Rose Hotel
Harvey's Point
Harvey's Point
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
5.0 of 5 bubbles 3,993 reviews

Been to Jackson's Hotel? Share your experiences!