“Little extras?”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
ireland
“Little extras?”
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Im a Chef/Catering Tutor by profession and all I can say that I was shocked beyond belief by what I saw when Dining in Jacksons Hotel one Sunday afternoon. During the meal (which was awful (table not set properly, soup lukewarm, staff unhelpful and a general felling of a 'couldn't care less' attitude), I needed to visit the 'Ladies' , so proceeded to walk through a connecting corridor, onto which the back entrance to one of the kitchens can be seen..and to my horror I saw a dog eating from a slop bucket standing by a 'Chef's' side in the kitchen. I really couldn't believe my eyes. I always always underline the importance of following the H.A.C.C.P system to my students and following it to the latter. Why oh why is that procedure obviously NOT being followed or indeed put in place in this particulat hotel???. To me there really is no point in having 'grandeur' when the basic procedures are NOT in place...!!! Do they not realise that Environmental Health Officers have the right to enter premises at any given time? Or in their wisdom do they think they are above that?. I certainly will NEVER enter those premises again. I value my health..!!

• Liked — no comment at all
  • Disliked — Bad access
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blondieoneIreland
RonniKerrigan, Sales & Marketing Executive at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, we would like to point out that we are a pet friendly Hotel. Pets are extensions to the family for most hence we do not like to discriminate. In regards to your comment, we have strict guidelines that no animals can be based anywhere near the kitchen or dining facilities. We conform to all current Health standards and have had no issues with this problem before. We are sorry to hear that you felt this way.

Jackson's Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
belfast
Reviewed August 10, 2008

The hotel promises a restful stay. This was not the case. Our hotel bedroom was almost directly over a reception area where a wedding was being held. Knowing that this event would continue into the early hours we requested a change of room. There was no other room available. We eventually got to sleep at approx 3am. There was no apology from the hotel. The staff were wearing uniforms which in most cases were badly stained. Breakfast was poor. One elderly lady attempted to cater for a very busy dining area with just some assistance from 2 waitressing staff. Toast was cold and served uncut on a saucer. Sorry but would not attempt to return to this hotel. Very disappointing.

• Liked — the fact that we stayed for less than 24 hours
  • Disliked — noisy and poor hygiene
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, we are sorry to hear that you did not completely enjoy your trip. We enjoy large numbers of weddings throughout the year and I apologise that we were booked up and unavailable to offer you an alternative room. We pride ourselves on offering high quality meals for all our guests and I will take your comments on board and take the necessary steps to rectify them.

Jackson's Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Ballybofey hotels

Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights from the 29th June. I was very concerned having read the previous bad reviews (after I had booked) and was considering moving hotels. I contacted the hotel to explain my concerns and was assured by the hotel that there would be no problems and decided to take them at their word. The did not disappoint. Our rooms (in the new part of the hotel) were spacious and clean, which leads me to beliveve the problems other travellers had was with the rooms in the old part of the hotel. We got an exceptional deal Euro 190 for 4BB3D, and the food could not be faulted in any way as far as we were concerned, it was plentfiul and there was a great selection. The staff are to be commended, they always had a smile on their faces and nothing was too much trouble (a rareity I find more and more these days!).
There is a lovely ambience in the hotel, we found it especially relaxing to sit by the fire in the foyer after dinner (as it would seem did most of the other guests).
The only comment I would make is that its a bit confusing initially finding your room in the new part of the hotel as you have take the elevator/stairs in reception to the first floor of the old part of the hotel, then follow the green and white tiled floor around corners and down "the glass bridge" as some guests named it to the new part of the hotel where you take another lift/set of stairs to your respective floor. Having said that, its not actually that far and you do get used to it quickly and can always pop out the back door if you are parked out there and are heading off for the day.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Spacious Room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, Thank you for your generous comments on your 4 - day stay with us. We take great pride in making our guests feel at home and have a wonderful time and it's great to hear that you enjoyed it all so much.

We welcome you back with open arms and look forward to seeing you soon.

Dublin
Reviewed June 25, 2008

My partner and I stayed here a few weeks ago and it was really lovely. I was worried when I read the previous reviews on here but in the end, the hotel was exactly what we were looking for for a mid-week break. Rooms were clean and well-maintained and the staff were very pleasant and professional. We had a breakfast included as part of our package which was lovely also. I would definitely recommend Jackson's to anyone!

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, thank you for your comment. We are pleased that you had such a wonderful time and would recommend us to your friends and family. We hope you come back to visit us again soon. You're very welcome!

N.Ireland
Reviewed June 16, 2008

The room we were given was very shabby and the pillows were stained yellow with the saliva of former guests. No way could i leave my head on it. We then paid extra to up grade to the new part of the hotel this was an improvement and we were happy enough having paid the extra but should a clean room not come as standard! On the first night we were awakened by an alarm going off that was beyond there control but on the Saturday night the noise of the music from the wedding going on went on to the middle of the night. Add on a group of smokers below our window who had there own party going on then the people beside us returning to there rooms at 3.30 banging on the door and demanding to be let in. Oh i could go on but i really have to get some sleep. Take my advice dont stay there.

Stayed June 2008
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, we are sorry to hear that your experience was not what is should have been. We have cleaning and maintenance personnel that could have availed of with a quick call to reception. We are also sorry that you did not ask to be moved again if you still were not happy. I apologise, but sometimes there are simply circumstances out of our control and we ask for a little guest patience and discretion.

We do hope to return to us again however.

Dublin
Reviewed May 24, 2008

When we arrived for check in the Lady behind the counter was more interested in the 'Man on the Moon' rather than listen to us as I asked about if there was any problem if we wished to stay for an extra night ,as it was a Bank holiday weekend. Without even checking or showing any interest she said that it should not be a problem - now I know why! She handed me the key to the room as she chatted away in ernest to her colleague about 'her headache' and plans for the weekend showing no interest in us except to state we must pay upfront for the room as it was 'Company Policy' This was despite the fact I had secured the room with my credit card. As we made our way to our room like a time machine we were transported like a time machine back a generation ago! The framed photos of Newly weds taken at least 30 years ago hung on the dated walls with wallpaper to match! The floor creaked like mad as we walked through the corridor aghast at how dated the place was! Once insided the room to say it was basic would be an understatement. Paper thin walls with the constant creaking of the floorbards ye'd think you were on a Tall Ship out at sea rather in a hotel! After my four and a half hour drive from Dublin i decided to have a shower. I ended up having a COLD shower as there was no hot water. This maybe was because I was having a shower outsided the peak hours? When my Partner & I went to bed the fire alarm went off on three occasions in the early hours off the morning!! The next morning as my Girlfriend was having a shower (this time the water was warm (Thank God for small mercies) I noticed water coming from the roof above us! dripping onto my suitcase! Breakfast was a shambles! We couldn't find a table to be seated & once we did I had to queue for about 10 mins at a counter to make my own toast! Normally one gets a pot of tea/coffee at brakfast but we got a cup of tea each! When we were checking out the looked for payment AGAIN despite paying them as they requested on arrival!!!! When we mention we had paid as it was Company Policy' the Man behind the counter seemed surprised we had to pay previously...We couldn't get out of the place quick enough!! Fawlty Towers mark two!!!

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, we are sorry to hear about your stay in this way. Rest assured that we have investigated your claims and have taken the appropriate action so that such instances do not happen again. We do hope you consider us again for future stays and we will make sure your stay is a great one!

Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We stayed in Jacksons Hotel in November 2007,when we arrived at 12pm approx. we where not able to check in until either 3pm or 4pm, the Dundalk football team arrived just before us and they where able to check in straight away, We paid extra for the executive suite, this was not a suite, the room was small,the bed which was very comfortable, filled the room, there was no heating on the Saturday night, Sunday evening the room was freezing and there was no hot water, we where given another room on the floor below us, this was a suite and what we expected our room to look like, although the jacuzzi bath was not working. The dinner menu was not good and very limited, the only meal we either liked was the steak which we had to send back as it was very rare instead of medium/rare. The waitress was very nice and the breakfast was good. Overall we where very disappointed . We will not be returning to this hotel.

• Liked — the bed was very comfortable
  • Disliked — It did not look like an executive suite ie 1 room and the heating broke down
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, we are sorry to hear that your stay was not what you expected. We cannot apologise enough for the small maintenance issues that were apparent during your stay. We do hope however you consider us again in the near future and allow us to provide the 1st class stay that you deserve.

Jackson's Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Villa Rose Hotel
Harvey's Point
Harvey's Point
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,003 reviews

Been to Jackson's Hotel? Share your experiences!