“Eclectically Furnished”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Joppa
“Eclectically Furnished”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at Jackson's Hotel on a group tour of Ireland. The hotel had been compared to Fawlty Towers and after struggling to find our room because signage was incorrect, then seeing the room furnishings, we had to agree. Members of our group wandered the hallways for a good 10 minutes before finally locating our rooms - I was just glad we hadn't been drinking adult beverages.

The room furnishngs were ecletic - nothing remotely matched. If they were going for the look that the room had been decorated with the furniture from four different hotels that went out of business within the last 20-30 years, they succeeded. The carpet appeared to have been there a very long time - with alternating 3 inch square floral patterns.

There was a king headboard on the wall, but the room had a double bed and a twin. The bases of the two beds was different - one was purple and the other burgundy. The mattresses have seen some wear, as there were indentations and they were not comfortable and offered little support. The bedding was another one of those wretched all-in-one duvets BUT it had a very welcome sheet so we didn't have to make the choice beween too much or no bedding. The room was uncomfortably warm and we were unable to make it cooler - this was a common issue with most of us on the tour.

The furniture and cabinetry of the room was all old and battered. The window treatments were sheers that were longer than the window by about 18 inches, but 18 inches from the floor. The "curtains" were made of navy, floral fabric that you could see through but weren't entirely sheer. The 3 side chairs had a cotton velour fabric with alternating gold stripes with gold stripes with black pindots. The wallpaper had a beige background with a floral design. There was a very small TV on a wall mount.

The bathroom was very clean and there were very nice towels. We were very fortunate in our room placement, as we weren't kept awake, as were others with rooms above the pub - nor were we awakened by people exiting the pub and continuing their evening in the wee hours in the gardens that many rooms overlooked. Since the rooms were uncomfortably warm, many had their windows open and were awakened and then kept awake by the noise of their partying.

Our dinner at the hotel was marginal and the staff seemed to be overwhelmed and struggled to service our group of 40. The breakfast buffet was adequate - but they also provided cooked-to-order eggs, which many enjoyed.

I don't mean to be unkind, but this was the worst hotel of the 6 hotels we stayed in during our tour of Ireland. We were very relieved that our stay was only one night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lsb040
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused in locating your room. We have maps at reception to assist guests.
Jacksons Hotel is a family run hotel, not an independent hotel chain, therefore our room décor and furnishings are not a uniform standard. Each room in our hotel is unique both in size and décor.

I sincerely apologise for any noise distribution during your stay with us, where possible we do our upmost to ensure that no guest is disturbed by noise but sometimes this is beyond our control.

It is very disappointing that you left our establishment feeling dissatisfied. Hopefully you will return to Jacksons Hotel again and we will have the chance to rectify your experience with us.

Jennie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed here recently for two nights (2 adults and a 11 year old) Just as well I hadn't read reviews before going because based on what I read on this site, I would NEVER have booked it.
I would have probably given this a four out of five but given some of the overly bitter and nasty reviews below I've given the full five stars :)
During our stay we found the staff friendly and welcoming, our room was spacious, comfortable with a really nice view of the river below. The bar and reception area are perhaps a little dated but still clean and well maintained. There was also an excellent singer in the bar on the Thursday night

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JohnN30
Dear Guest,

Thank you very kindly for the wonderful review of Jacksons Hotel, we really appreciate it. I am delighted that the negative reviews on Trip Advisor didn’t deter you from staying with us.
Our staff members will be delighted with your comments, so will the fantastic singer in our bar.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Jacksons Hotel again in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Arrived last night with the intention of staying 2 nights. I checked out this morning. I was booked into room 137.
Window wouldn't close,
tv reception was abysmal,
cold tap didn't work,
damp on the ceiling,
lukewarm radiators therefore spent the night with my 2 children freezing.
Only one socket in the whole room. Was left an extension lead with 6 sockets. Had to put the kettle on the floor to boil it. Only used it once as the uht milk was off.
Glass tops on the bedside lockers that slid everywhere as they weren't secured.
Kids club room was in a dungeon downstairs. It was ridiculous. Ceiling tiles missing, upside down furniture, uneven floors.
Breakfast was mediocre.
Bar menu minimal.

Was the craziest layout of a hotel. Never saw so many plywood doors. Was going to ask for Sybil at reception but thought they wouldn't get it. I did relay all this to the manager before I left. Don't know why. I was offered no refund. I will never ever be back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Moira S
Dear Guest,

I am deeply disappointed to read about your recent stay at Jacksons Hotel and I do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us.
I have personally checked room 137 and the only issue with the facilities that I noticed from your list was that the cold tap was very stiff, maintenance have now fixed this.
I am disappointed that you left our establishment feeling unhappy, if you did change your mind and decide to return to Jacksons Hotel in the future I will personally ensure that you have a pleasant stay with us.

Jennie

Travelers are raving about these Ballybofey hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Jacksons is a nice family owned hotel. It has been extended at some point in time and it is clear to see the difference between the rooms in the new part and the old part. There is nothing wrong with the rooms in the old part of the hotel expect they need a bit of TLC to get them up to speed. I would recommend requesting a room in the new part of the hotel.

When I stayed there they had a nice open fire going in the reception and the bar is nice a comfortable. The bistro does decent food. I would recommend Jacksons.

Room Tip: Request a room in the new part of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. It is wonderful to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We certainly have extended the hotel in recent years offering a mix of traditional and modern.

It is lovely to read that you enjoyed our traditional open fire and lounge bar, it seems to be very popular with guests coming into the colder months. Thank you for recommending Jacksons Hotel to others and hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Lisburn, Northern Ireland
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our review is based on a family break for 8 adults 2 toddlers and 2 babies (3 generations of family) for 3 nights in Oct 2013

Staff
all the staff were very helpful, friendly and always on hand to cater for the needs of our group

Facilties
The rooms were comfortable and spacious.
The communal areas were all well maintained and kept spotlessly clean.

Location
We found the Jackson hotel a good base and central location to set off from and explore the great sights of Co. Donegal

overall
our stay was relaxing, enjoyable and made very comfortble by the wonderfully friendly atmosphere generated by the Jackson Hotel
we will definately return to the hotel in the future

• Stayed October 2013
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a wonderful review of Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor, we really appreciate it and are absolutely delighted that you all enjoyed your stay with us.
Hopefully we will be welcoming you back to Jacksons Hotel again very soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The NYPD gaelic football team arrived in Donegal in October 2013 to play football against the Donegal Ledgends select team. We booked in at Jacksons Hotel. Upon arrival we were met by the staff of Jacksons and Mrs Jackson. The hotel was fantastic. The hotel bar was a comfortable place to unwind and have a conversation with family. I have family who traveled to see me and we sat in the lounge. The rooms were large and very clean. Breakfast in the morning was hot and delicious. Jacksons is centraly located and a pleasure to stay in. I can not say enough about our stay. To the staff and Mrs Jackson, THANK YOU. I will be returning next year with my Family.

Room Tip: I stayed in the hotel addition. The room was large and quite. Parking is also included in the hotel...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Noel M
Dear Guest,

It was our upmost pleasure to accommodate the NYPD Gaelic football team on your recent visit to Donegal. We really appreciate your kind and wonderful comments about our hotel, the staff, rooms, food and the owners Mr & Mrs Jackson.
We certainly enjoyed having you all stay with us and are looking forward to welcoming you and your family on your return visit to Ireland next year.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Arrived on Sunday night and was greeted by a friendly receptionist who booked me in without any fuss. Made my way to the room on the second floor (using lift facility) and found a clean and acceptable room. When I opened my suitcase, I found that a plastic bottle of lemonade I had stupidly put in there had burst and some of my clothes had got soaked - by the next morning they were showing a "tide mark". I enquired from the staff if there was a laundrette in the town, and they suggested I have a word with their own Laundry/Housekeeping. This I did and they kindly washed and dried the clothes and returned them to my room in a matter of hours - which was greatly appreciated. It was better than sitting watching your clothes going round and round in a washing machine for an hour on the first day of your holiday!! The breakfast which was included in the price was more than ample with the usual selection of Cereals/Fruit/Fruit Juice followed of course by the famous "Irish Fried Breakfast". So far I have eaten in the Restaurant one evening and the Menu was extensive and food cooked to perfection and by Irish standards, reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ray J
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review of Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. I think we have all been in a situation where liquid has spilt in our case, not a pleasant experience at all but it is fantastic to hear that our staff members assisted in getting your clothes cleaned.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and our famous full Irish breakfast definitely goes down a treat with all of our guests.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Jennie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Villa Rose Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny
Mount Errigal Hotel
Mount Errigal Hotel
#6 of 12 in Letterkenny

Been to Jackson's Hotel? Share your experiences!