“Beautiful Hotel but lacking good service”
Review of Jackson's Hotel

Jackson's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Letterkenny
“Beautiful Hotel but lacking good service”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed in Jacksons hotel mid-week. It was quiet. Jacksons has always been a hotel I remember with great fondness from my Youth. I was bitterly disappointed.
When I rang to book the hotel I asked if we could be placed in a room with a river view. When we were allocated our room it turned out to be a room facing onto the service area of the hotel. Empty bins and untidy surroundings filled my vision. The room was also one that looked like it was part of a family suite. There was a locked door that lead onto another bedroom.
I rang reception and explained the situation. The Lady behind reception was indeed efficient and came up to our room and moved us to a charming room looking onto the river Finn. If it was not for the mattress being completely sunken on one side and the remote control being void of working batteries it would have been perfect.
We went down for something to eat in the "Bally Buffet". Quite a plain menu. We waited 50 minutes for our food to come.
The next morning we went down for breakfast. A Young Gentleman directed us to a table that had already been used by someone else that morning even though the breakfast room was full of re-set tables . The tablecloth was terribly stained. He roughly placed two cups and one saucer on the table and left us there. We were not sure how the breakfast worked and after 5 minutes of sitting waiting on someone to come and take an order for coffees or the likes we eventually approached a pleasant waitress who explained that the breakfast was now all self service.
We went up to the hot food stand and the Young Gentleman said quite abruptly... " What can I get for You?" As all the food was covered and we couldn't see what was available we had to asked him what our choices were. He placed one and a half slices of bacon on our plate and half a slice of white pudding. My Husband had to ask for another piece of pudding. I was not impressed.
This hotel has the bones to become a great hotel. The reception staff are extremely pleasant and efficient. I do believe the waiting staff need more guidance on service. They were young. The kitchen needs to be more efficient and the menu needs to extend beyond food that 'can' be obtained from a frozen food supplier.
I have read other reviews on this hotel and can see that one of the people that replies to the comments is very defensive. Customers write reviews in order to guide a hotel to improve in certain areas. There is a notice at reception recommending Trip Advisor. I hope my comments are taken on board and not replied to in a defensive manner. At the end of the day Jacksons hotel is situated on a beautiful location and has the potential to be the best in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river are a must.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear guest,

It is very disappointing that you feel my replies are 'defensive'. It is certainly not my objective to be defensive to any guest. We take on board all of our guests feedback, both positive and negative and use them to constantly improve our product & services.

I do hope you return to Jacksons Hotel again in the near future, allowing us the opportunity to redeem your opinions. Should you do so I would appreciate if you could contact me directly on stay@jacksons-hotel.ie so I can ensure you have a successful stay with us.

Jennie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Jackson's staff were excellent, we had 3 rooms booked ,were going to a wedding and needed to book in early they pulled out all the stops, to get our rooms ready, we were all on the 4th floor, with lovely airy clean rooms with lovely views, breakfast in the morning was excellent, even if the toaster was a tad slow, the men went for a swim which they really enjoyed, whilst the women visited Mcelhinneys !!!! would recommend this hotel, and definitely book again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

I am delighted to hear that our staff members went above and beyond during your recent stay with us and that you had an enjoyable stay. Our leisure centre is the ideal place for the men to unwind while you all got to explore McElhinneys - good choice.
Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor and hopefully we will be welcoming back for another stay with is again soon.

Larne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had a great night at the hotel on Saturday night for 30th anniversary of the ulster section of the BMW club. We had a lovely lunch upon arrival and relaxed for the afternoon then went to Mcelhinneys for a bit of retail therapy which is open until 7.00pm on a Saturday. We had first class meal in the drumbo room and after took advantage of the live music in joes bar. Had a great choice for breakfast on Sundays morning and the staff were all extremely helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the new part are more modern
Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

It was our upmost pleasure to host your weekend at Jacksons Hotel and we thank you very much for choosing our venue. I am delighted that you all had a wonderful stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to Jacksons again in the near future.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel on a Saturday night. I would never stay in the hotel again. We stayed in the old part of the hotel. The room stank of cigarette smoke and really bothered me as I am pregnant. We asked to be moved but could not as they were fully booked. I booked the room a few months before and told them at booking I was pregnant. The bed was the hardest lumpiest most uncomfortable bed I ever slept in!! The room itself was clean but very dated. We could hear conversations the guests in the next room were having, heard their toilet flush, TV and even heard their mobile phone ring and beep when hey got a text!!!! so paper thin walls. Even people who did not talk walking past our room woke me up with the noise of the floor boards. For the price we paid we have stayed in much better hotels so in my opinion the rooms are way over priced!! I said this to the receptionist when we checked out but she did not seem too interested.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the old part of the hotel
2 Thank active1984
Dear guest,

I am extremely disappointed to read about your dissatisfactory stay at Jacksons Hotel. This is certainly not the levels of standards that we adhere to and I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at stay@jacksons-hotel.ie to discuss further.

Jennie

Travelers are raving about these Ballybofey hotels

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We booked (online with booking.com) for 2 nights and asked for a quiet room in the new part of the hotel. When we checked in, the booking could not be found.
The bed in our room was uncomfortable so we asked for another. We were offered another room with better bed(s) which we accepted.
The wi-fi did not work for the 2 days we stayed. Whenever we queried this we were told that there was a problem with all rooms in the new part of the hotel and they were trying to fix it. They didn't so we had to use wi-fi in the lobby!
We were offered a room in the old section of the hotel where wi-fi was working, but the room was not very nice (smelt of cigarettes, the bed was lumpy), so we declined the offer.
Our second night was disturbed by noisy guests attending a wedding at the hotel.
On our second morning, there was no hot water for showers - the boiler servicing a section of rooms, including ours, was broken.
Staff were polite, but didn't or couldn't fix the problems.

Room Tip: New part of hotel is preferable. Rooms in old part are very tired.
2 Thank Bruce W
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. The rooms on third party websites are our standard rooms, our deluxe rooms are available to purchase direct from the hotel. We do our upmost to grant guest requests but unfortunately on certain occasions we are unable to do so due to availability and events taking place. We had offered you one of our standard rooms where the wi-fi was working and away from any noise from the wedding that was taking place. I do sincerely apologise for any problems that you experienced with our Wi-Fi and hot water during your stay.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jacksons Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay in this hotel with 32 other guests who all say the same and would love to go back .
The only fault was lack of entertainment only on certain nights keep up the hard work xcnice too see team work which is what u get here

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Reg S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your wonderful comments of Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. It was our pleasure to welcome you to our hotel and I am delighted you all enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully we will be seeing you again very soon,

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Staff were excellent. The hotel ambience is fine. The bed was THE most uncomfortable I've ever slept in!!! I actually think it was faulty or broken. Hard as the hobs of h311!!! The meal in both restaurants were very good with friendly staff. The experience was spoiled by that awful bed!!!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank CharlotteisGorgeous
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

I do apologise for any discomfort you experienced with our beds during your stay with us and thank you for bringing it to my attention. I have brought your comments to our head of housekeeping who is in the process of ordering new mattresses. I am glad that you did enjoy our food and found our staff friendly. Hopefully you will return to Jacksons Hotel again in the future.

Jennie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Villa Rose Hotel
Harvey's Point
Harvey's Point
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,003 reviews

Been to Jackson's Hotel? Share your experiences!