We stayed in Jacksons hotel mid-week. It was quiet. Jacksons has always been a hotel I remember with great fondness from my Youth. I was bitterly disappointed.
When I rang to book the hotel I asked if we could be placed in a room with a river view. When we were allocated our room it turned out to be a room facing onto the service area of the hotel. Empty bins and untidy surroundings filled my vision. The room was also one that looked like it was part of a family suite. There was a locked door that lead onto another bedroom.
I rang reception and explained the situation. The Lady behind reception was indeed efficient and came up to our room and moved us to a charming room looking onto the river Finn. If it was not for the mattress being completely sunken on one side and the remote control being void of working batteries it would have been perfect.
We went down for something to eat in the "Bally Buffet". Quite a plain menu. We waited 50 minutes for our food to come.
The next morning we went down for breakfast. A Young Gentleman directed us to a table that had already been used by someone else that morning even though the breakfast room was full of re-set tables . The tablecloth was terribly stained. He roughly placed two cups and one saucer on the table and left us there. We were not sure how the breakfast worked and after 5 minutes of sitting waiting on someone to come and take an order for coffees or the likes we eventually approached a pleasant waitress who explained that the breakfast was now all self service.
We went up to the hot food stand and the Young Gentleman said quite abruptly... " What can I get for You?" As all the food was covered and we couldn't see what was available we had to asked him what our choices were. He placed one and a half slices of bacon on our plate and half a slice of white pudding. My Husband had to ask for another piece of pudding. I was not impressed.
This hotel has the bones to become a great hotel. The reception staff are extremely pleasant and efficient. I do believe the waiting staff need more guidance on service. They were young. The kitchen needs to be more efficient and the menu needs to extend beyond food that 'can' be obtained from a frozen food supplier.
I have read other reviews on this hotel and can see that one of the people that replies to the comments is very defensive. Customers write reviews in order to guide a hotel to improve in certain areas. There is a notice at reception recommending Trip Advisor. I hope my comments are taken on board and not replied to in a defensive manner. At the end of the day Jacksons hotel is situated on a beautiful location and has the potential to be the best in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the bustling town of Ballybofey, Jacksons Hotel is an award-winning Hotel on the banks of the River Finn and Drumboe Woods. Renowned for its hospitality and great food, Jacksons is the ideal base for touring Donegal and the North West of Ireland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, HostelWorld, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Jackson's Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jacksons Hotel Ballybofey
- Jackson's Hotel Ballybofey, Ireland - County Donegal