Stayed here for a weekend break recently with my wife. Greeted with such beautiful weather and a very welcoming and friendly receptionist we were excited for our stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were swiftly checked in and upon arrival to our room found it outdated but yet still gave a vintage feel.
That evening we ate in the dining room which is near the reception area. Although the dining room appeared full , we were greeted and brought to our table very swiftly. Throughout, we were served by an array of waiters and waitress all of whom were extremely friendly and appeared to even enjoy our silly chit chat! No request or dietary requirement went unnoticed and we observed how the four waiting staff that were working that night got on exceptionally well with each other , making our dinner that bit more pleasant! However, an elderly lady (appeared to be senior management) made an appearance just before our dessert and completely disrupted the waiting staff, giving them orders in a sharp, condescending and completely unnecessary tone. We found that this placed extra stress on the staff; who were already running of their feet for the customers. It's safe to say that it was not only myself and my wife who noticed this, as other tables appeared uncomfortable at the situation. However credit to the staff who continued to serve at a very high standard although clearly stressed. The food was outstanding; the steak done excellently and the brownie to die for!
We enjoyed a few drinks at the bar and went to bed content. Although we were awoken by rowdy night club goers and drunken guests in the hall-way, this was understandable as the hotel was busy.
Breakfast the next morning didn't run quite as smoothly as dinner. As we arrived down late at 9 45, all the tables were being used already. However after being directed to another room which was quiet we enjoyed breakfast although we had expected a wider choice as was advertised. It was a big let down that there was no mushrooms, tomatoes or potato bread to be served and the slow and cheap toaster was not working properly; a joke for a hotel! Once again the staff were running of their feet , constantly being shouted at by management. We were very impressed when a younger member of staff remembered us from the night before at dinner and asked us about our evening. The only qualm we have with the staff was that too many staff appeared untrained and needed instructions from other staff.
Checking out was slow as we noticed the same elderly woman at reception shouting once again at a young member of staff who was working at the desk. We were completely shocked by this bullying type behavior and I can only dread what happens behind closed doors !!
We left the hotel extremely happy with our choice to choose jacksons hotel and definitely will be back !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the bustling town of Ballybofey, Jacksons Hotel is an award-winning Hotel on the banks of the River Finn and Drumboe Woods. Renowned for its hospitality and great food, Jacksons is the ideal base for touring Donegal and the North West of Ireland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, HostelWorld, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Jackson's Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jacksons Hotel Ballybofey
- Jackson's Hotel Ballybofey, Ireland - County Donegal