“Beautiful Hotel”
Review of Villa Rose Hotel

Villa Rose Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My partner and I stayed in the hotel just after Christmas; it was gift so a lovely surprise.

Ballybofey itself is lovely and I always had ideas that it would be a small village but, while its small, there is a lot of shops and bars in it so great for a walk round. We did a bit of a pub crawl on one night we were there and we stopped in at Jacksons Hotel - I have to say its lovely but the bar was dark and a bit lifeless; much preferred the Villa Rose.

The hotel itself is split in two; the older part at the front and the newer part at the back. We specifically asked for a room in the new part of the building which we got and it was beautiful. It was on a corner so had windows on two sides and, while the view was of the carpark, it
was really lovely. The space in the room was fantastic and the bathroom was big with all the amentites you would expect from a 4 star hotel. If I was being picky on bad points (which I tend to do!); when we arrived the room was freezing; we had to turn the heating up full for about 3 hours before it was warm. Also there is no wifi in the rooms; there is cabled access but as I was using a tablet the connection wasnt correct so I couldnt use it in the room. I would have expected a 4 star hotel to have wifi.

We ate in the Farahs restuarant on our first night and the food was amazing; big portions and a good choice. I am a vegetarian and, while there were items on the menu, I didnt fancy any of them. I asked if there was anything else and they made me a lovely bake. It was so big that I couldnt finish it all! We had a few drinks in the bar in the new part of the hotel; it is modern with two fires. The bar we preferred was the "wee bar" in the old part of the hotel near the breakfast room. It was much cosier and a better atmposphere. The hotel does say that the bars have wifi but we couldnt get a stable connection in either. Breakfast was really good too; big portions and lots of choice.

The only downside of the weekend was that there was a wedding on both nights; I completely understand that hotels need weddings to survive but this was the first time I had been in a hotel where I felt the weddings took over the whole hotel. I think this hotel would really benefit from a residents bar. Both weddings completely filled the "wee bar" even though the weddings were at the back of the hotel and the other, more modern bar, would have been more suitable but strangely stayed empty!

We also went to the Spa and it was fantastic; it has a big jacuzzi bath with a waterfall which is like a massage, hot and cold foot spa's, a sauna and an ice-jet shower. We spent ages in the spa and most of the time we were on our own; not sure if this was on purpose or just that it wasnt a busy time of year, but it really made our trip.

All in all we have a beautiful stay, the hotel and spa were amazing and the food great - what more can you want when getting over Christmas. Thanks Anne; best idea!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Josephine M

Reviewed December 28, 2012

As we were visiting some relatives in Donegal I booked the Villa Rose for a Sunday night (cost 59 euro a room from memory).

When we arrived we had a snack meal in the bar which was good value and tasty. Our rooms were roomy and clean. Unusually for Irish hotels the room had a wooden floor which I actually liked as often carpeted hotel rooms can be unclean looking. There was coffee/ tea etc and a couple of bottles of water in the room. The bathroom was large and well appointed.

Arriving back late at the hotel and a few family visits the night porter was very accommodating sorting me out with a nightcap of a pint of Guinness.

The bed was comfortable and as the hotel is set back off the main street there was no noise to disturb sleep. After a good shower I headed for breakfast. The breakfast was excellent -I had a fruit selection - porridge and a hot breakfast-the service again was excellent.

Throughout our stay we found the staff extremely friendly and attentive.

Only areas were I think the Villa Rose could be improved are:
-provide wifi in the rooms (its available in the foyer although it isn't a very fast wifi service)

-improve vehicular access to the hotel. I couldn't access the hotel via the 'tunnel' off the main street as my Landrover was just too big. I therefore had to access the hotel via a more circuitous route down the side of another hotel (Jacksons) and around the back of some houses - the path for which is largely unpaved and rough.It is a rather underwhelming approach to the hotel and could definitely be improved!

All told though I would thoroughly recommend the hotel and would have no hesitation in using it again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Brian K
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Christmas Party night on 14 December last certainly went with a bang! We were welcomed with a drinks and canapé reception before being seated for dinner-and what a dinner! It was delicious, with second helpings on offer!! The entertainment was brilliant too. Couldn't recommend highly enough.
Thanks to all at the Villa Rose ;-)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mucknamee
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Had an excellent stay in The Villa Rose. We staying in a large double room which was spotless and had everything we needed for a very relaxing weekend. Every member of staff was very welcoming and friendly. The breakfasts were great as were the evening meal we had in the restaurant. On the 2nd night we decided to dine in another hotel, very dissappointed, nowhere near as good as The Villa Rose. Excellent bars with live entertainment on both nights. We had a lovely stay. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cjmckl
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed 2 nights , had 2 tasty breakfasts , enjoyed the big rooms and the spotless clean bathroom and bedroom. Genuine warm welcome on arrival, my wife rated the spa very highly and again great staff, No faults at all !

Room Tip: rooms overlooking car park have view of big ugly shed .... there are rooms overlooking sports ground...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 898dec898
Reviewed November 20, 2012

we would like to thank the staff and management of the villa rose, for the excellent service and their attention to detail on our wedding day; the meal was second to none, bridal party and guests were greeted with warm and friendly staff, we would like to say special word of thanks to john griffith. who looked after us from the day we booked. did a fantastic job. if anyone thinking
of getting married book the villa rose' ask for john, thanks again for a fantastic day

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank John T
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were very disappointed that we had not free access to the spa pool. We did not expect free treatments, only access to the pool. We were booked in from Fri to Sun. We were to pay €15 each if we wanted to use the spa pool. We always choose hotels with spa facilities and never have to pay extra for these facilities. Eg. Cavan Crystal, Merchant Belfast, Galgorm & Culloden.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nannyvarden
VillaRoseHotel, General Manager at Villa Rose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Villa Rose Hotel. I would like to clarify that our spa facilitates consist of a dedicated Spa Thermal Suite, not to be confused with a swimming pool and general leisure facilities and therefore they do not operate in the same way.

The Spa Thermal Suite is availed of prior to or just after spa treatments to assist with intense relaxation and tranquility. If it were opened to all guests to come and go at any time this would interfere with its intended purpose.

We do offer all guests a reduced rate to avail of the Thermal Suite or a free Thermal Suite Session when booking a treatment. You will find that a number of the special offers listed on our website actually include a complimentary session in the Spa Thermal Suite. I think you will find that this is the case in the majority of purpose built spas around the country; it certainly has been the case in any spa I have ever visited. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind Regards
Thomas Gallen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Jackson's Hotel
Harvey's Point
Harvey's Point
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny

Been to Villa Rose Hotel? Share your experiences!