“My new happy place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shanagarry
Ballymaloe House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Shanagarry B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Having scheduled an afternoon lecture/demo at Ballymaloe Cookery School with Darina Allen, I felt the entire experience wouldn't be complete without staying at the country house. There simply are not enough words in the English language to describe this beautiful estate. The staff is friendly and helpful and goes out of their way to make your stay there whatever you need it to be. Our room was large and comfortable and emaculately clean. Everything is done with elegance without being stuffy and always an extra measure of that generous Irish hospitality. The dining room was excellent and the servers gracious. We will hold this memory in our hearts forever!

1  Thank 33146Chris
hazel071, Manager at Ballymaloe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

We were delighted to have you at Ballymaloe and so glad you enjoyed your stay & visit to our Cookery School.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was first visit back in over 15 years, check in was confusing as we arrived via shop side and had to drag bags across gravel to main house, apparently the barrier gate can open, but no indication you just need to drive up to it! We were given an "upgrade" (not many people staying) to a room which was straight out of a 1980's laura ashley catalog including stained carpet. Has dinner with friends which was expensive, fish was fresh but overcooked as was the lamb. Wine menu was good. Breakfast was ordinary with rediculous tiny "shot" glasses for juice. Felt the hotel is now living on its marketing instead of the excellent service and food of earlier years.

1  Thank monkeybreathLondon
hazel071, Manager at Ballymaloe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for comments - we will arrange to have a sign indicating that gates will open as vehicles approach & check out the Pink Room .

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Without exaggeration, Ballymaloe House just has to be the most perfect country house hotel in the world. It has a long history of excellence from the time Myrtle Allen, the matriarch of a large extended family, started serving food there decades ago, and the excellence continues to this day, still looked after by Myrtle, who still lives in the house.

The house itself, a gorgeous stone Georgian building, sits in the middle of a working farm...they raise their own pigs and chickens, and have an extensive kitchen garden which supplies all the vegetables and herbs for the restaurant. The immediate grounds are beautiful, but beyond those are some trails where one can take a walk for an hour or so, through woods or meadows with sheep grazing. The rooms are elegantly comfortable, in a luxurious but understated way. Most look out over the gardens surrounding the house.

Aside from the house itself, the staff is what really makes Ballymaloe a special place. From the genuinely friendly young women at reception, who will do absolutely anything to make your stay what you want it to be, to the barman Thomas, to Anne the breakfast waitress who has worked there for 42 years (!), and to Myrtle who is often present to greet you and have a chat, they all make you feel like a valued guest....and they are not just pretending to be gracious and welcoming, they really are that way. I can't say enough superlatives!

And the restaurant!! One of the best ever, and I have dined in a lot of great places. Five courses...appetizer (soup or other), 2nd course, main course, followed by the cheese cart (with 5 or so selections), then by the dessert cart (also 5 or so selections). It sounds like a lot, but the dining proceeds slowly and at the end you are satisfied but not "too-full." The menu changes every night and is of the highest quality...not crazy modern dishes so much in vogue lately, but traditional dishes which have stood the test of time. And the breakfast is of the same exceptional quality..."first course" of porridge, baked goods, fruits, muesli, etc...then the "full Irish of eggs, sausage, bacon, black and white puddings, tomato, mushrooms, and (if you want it) kippers or baked cod. You will not need to eat lunch!

I probably sound like someone who works for a pr firm and is writing up a rave review of Ballymaloe House, but I'm not...just an older American guy who spent a memorable week there, and want everyone to know what a truly great place it is. I hope you can experience it some time!

Room Tip: I stayed in the lovely "White Room" but my guess is that every room is just as nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank calhounseattle

Thank you , it was lovely to see you again and thank you for your kind comments

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I just love this place, I wish I could pack my bags and go and live there! Every time I visit, be it for a coffee and a scone, for a meal, or a stay I leave rejuvenated. I spent twelve weeks in the cookery school many moons ago, and go back to visit as often as I can.

We visited in the last month for their inaugural Literary Festival. We had a wonderful weekend both at the House and the Cookery School. It was my partners first visit to Ballymaloe and even though we were not staying in the house he adored it. We ate in the House on Saturday night, and it was (as I would expect it to be) superb. We were also surrounded by the good and the great of the culinary world, so I was a little awestruck at times! For me asparagus to start, for himself a nettle soup. Next came haddock for himself (magnificent) and for me warm oysters (wonderful). I had the most amazing main course of Guinea Fowl with jus and stunning red current sauce. The main event for the man himself was strip loin roast beef, delicious but he was disgusted he hadn't ordered the Fowl. Cheese was stunning, dessert trolley wonderful.., and then came petits fours.., We didn't eat for about 2 days after this meal (in my dreams, in reality we had scones in the cafe at the back of the shop at 11 the next morning!). Dinner for two including a glass of champagne each to start, a bottle of Rhone red, and service came to €220; a treat rather than an everyday meal, but worth every last penny.

1  Thank Beaded
hazel071, Manager at Ballymaloe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments we are delighted you enjoyed our Literary Festival as much as we did , we might have another Literary Festival next May

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Now I know why Ireland is called the Emerald Isle, but the intermittent rain did nt matter. Driving there on quiet rambling country roads with massed white bluebells all along the sides of the roads was a gentle start to a peaceful interlude. I don't believe I have ever received such a warm natural welcome, every member of staff that I met was warm and helpful, to a degree I have rarely experienced. We had a large garden room downstairs looking out over the grounds and lake. The bath ran fast and hot, the shower was a powerful joy. Loved the sweet smelling Voya products in the bathroom but did nt see them for sale anywhere. The Irish breakfast was not for the faint hungered, a tasty plateful of sausages, back and streaky bacon, black and white pudding if wanted, tried the white-nice and herby, tomato, mushrooms and fresh golden yolked eggs from the farm next door. The 5 course dinners were a treat, the freshest leaves just picked with cashel cheese and walnuts, followed by fish or other choices. Had the pork rilletes one evening, the best I have ever had. The main courses we tried were the hot buttered lobster with mashed potatoes, and these are no pedestrian mashed tubers, but a fluffy delight, lightened with mils, egg and butter. My sister had the lamb, very tasty she reckoned, and it came with dauphinoise. Another night we tried the hake, fresh off the day boat from the fishing village a couple of miles away, has changed my jaundiced view of hake, and my sister tried the Kassler, a gammon joint, very juicy. Try the local cheeses, if you can, and then the desserts arrive, good local fare. And then they come round with a plate of chocolates, nougat etc to finish off. One particular delight was a massage from Catriona, generous with her time and expertise. We had an hours neck, back and head massage each, and felt the knots unravelling as she worked. If you here, do go down the road for an afternoons cookery demo, we did twice and it was interesting, informative and action packed. Yes, we will go back.

Room Tip: The large garden rooms looked out on green lawn and the lake. Try and get one with an outside space.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynjcecil

Thank you for your kind remarks - The Voya products come from Co Sligo using Seaweed, .

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I recently stayed for one night to celebrate a special birthday. Having attended a cookery course in the cookery school the same time last year I wanted to return and stay at the hotel this time. I was not disappointed. We arrived and checked into our room which was the river room which was beautiful. Our dinner that night was amazing everything tasted so good and was well worth the price. The staff were so friendly and helpful. Waking up the next morning a year older looking out at a beautiful day in such wonderful surroundings was great and the compliment from the staff member in the dining room that morning had me on cloud nine. We left feeling relaxed and invigorated. Hope to get back again for a bit longer the next time.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Athenrycailin

Thank you , so glad you enjoyed your birthday - I hope we brought the candles out .

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My second trip to this wonderful country hotel was even more enjoyable than the first. This was because I had the absolute pleasure of the anticipation as well as the experience. Lovely, comfortable rooms, good beds, great bathroom products(Voya), welcoming public areas with roaring fires, interesting gardens and such pleasant staff. The food was just perfect, great portion size, seconds available, great pace of service and a super wine list. The only thing that is better than dinner in Ballymaloe is breakfast the following morning! I'm looking forward to my next visit already!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MandM59_10

Thank you , we look forward to welcoming you back for a third time

Hazel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanagarry
Garryvoe Hotel
Douglas
Maryborough Hotel & Spa
Kilmahon House
#2 of 5 in Shanagarry

Been to Ballymaloe House Hotel? Share your experiences!