“Great place to get away and recharge the batteries”

Ballymaloe House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Shanagarry B&B and Inns
“Great place to get away and recharge the batteries”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I recently stayed for one night to celebrate a special birthday. Having attended a cookery course in the cookery school the same time last year I wanted to return and stay at the hotel this time. I was not disappointed. We arrived and checked into our room which was the river room which was beautiful. Our dinner that night was amazing everything tasted so good and was well worth the price. The staff were so friendly and helpful. Waking up the next morning a year older looking out at a beautiful day in such wonderful surroundings was great and the compliment from the staff member in the dining room that morning had me on cloud nine. We left feeling relaxed and invigorated. Hope to get back again for a bit longer the next time.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Athenrycailin
hazel071, Manager at Ballymaloe House Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you , so glad you enjoyed your birthday - I hope we brought the candles out .

Hazel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

My second trip to this wonderful country hotel was even more enjoyable than the first. This was because I had the absolute pleasure of the anticipation as well as the experience. Lovely, comfortable rooms, good beds, great bathroom products(Voya), welcoming public areas with roaring fires, interesting gardens and such pleasant staff. The food was just perfect, great portion size, seconds available, great pace of service and a super wine list. The only thing that is better than dinner in Ballymaloe is breakfast the following morning! I'm looking forward to my next visit already!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MandM59_10
Thank you , we look forward to welcoming you back for a third time

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 22, 2013

What can one say about this iconic East Cork establishment that is in anyway new? And is this even necessary? I have been coming to Ballymaloe House now for a number of years and unfortunately for me the visits are becoming even more sporadic because of the changing pattern of my travels. However I had the pleasure recently of paying this wonderful house a visit for a single overnight. Thankfully, I am happy to report that nothing really has changed at all: it is still the old-style country house with its intimate furnishings. open fires, no background music or television receivers to take away from the atmosphere, wonderful gardens, great food and above all the greatest of Irish welcomes from the many members of the Allen family who own and run this place, and of course their very competent and efficient staff. Long may you continue to keep this atmosphere.
There is very little I can add to many of the comments already posted on TripAdvisor but I can say that if you have not been there yet, do go and pay a visit. If you visit on a Sunday for dinner, be aware however that the dinner on that night of the week is a buffet, and a very good one at that. Some people who are not aware of that long tradition find it not to their taste, but I sampled it for the first time recently and I found the whole presentation to be excellent and very satisfying. The accompanying Sauvignon Blanc was a spicy offering from New Zealand and it did not cost the earth. As I would expect here, it was served at a perfect temperature.
Something that might be of interest to art lovers is the display of what I believe to be the complete collection of the original prints that the artist Louis le Broquey used to illustrate Thomas Kinsella’s “The Táin”, his marvellous retelling of a very famous (infamous?) Irish legend. The prints at present appear to be suffering from the damp conditions of our wet Irish climate and need to be rescued from perdition before much longer. You will see them all on the staircase as you walk up or down the stairs. Is it a good idea to have such interesting works of art on a stairway I wonder? I nearly missed my steps up and down a couple of times and had to be very careful, but then that is me....
Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_le_Brocquy_Táin_illustrations
I visited the nearby Grain Store Theatre while I was there. This is a very interesting venue which attracts quite well-known acts from the all over Ireland. However, it is quite an intimate venue (used also, I believe for weddings and other functions) with a wonderful natural acoustic. (Note to visiting performers: you do NOT need amplification here, your voices and musical instruments will enjoy and be enhanced by that stunning acoustic. What I like here is that there are offers that include, the buffet meal, the show, B&B with good discounts. Have a look on the website if you intend visiting the area.
Bedrooms are what I would expect in a place of this vintage. The rooms are very well appointed, well heated, and tastefully furnished. However, some sash windows are difficult to open and shut: the floors creak and and the doors have to be closed rather firmly. This is NOT a criticism. Hell, when I am as old as this house is, I hope I will be in this good a condition!
I enjoyed a very good night’s sleep here with a wide-open window and no disturbing noises, not even the crows, and came down in the morning with great anticipation of a wonderful breakfast. The cute foxes keep very quiet here.
Breakfast was a much-anticipated delight. There was freshly-squeezed orange and grapefruit juice, with all of the edible bits of fruit included. Poached pears, rhubarb, apples and other delightful concoctions. There is nothing here that comes from a tin or a packet, except for the Cornflakes, the one concession to the instant breakfast clique! There is also porridge made with Macroom oatmeal which can be accompanied by honey and cream if you are decadent enough to enter into such exotic territory (I was; and I did!). The percolated coffee was just great. Add to this equation the home made breads, cakes and scones and what more can you ask for. Well I asked for the cholesterol-limit busting Irish fry. With well-sourced ingredients including the egg which had the yellowest yoke I have seen for quite a while (dear free-range hen, I would dearly love to meet you) and locally sourced flat and very tasty mushrooms, I was set up for the day, and as I write this, am contemplating whether or not I actually need dinner.
Service is discrete, efficient and thoughtful from all of the staff. Obviously, serious effort goes into the training for such an efficient operation to work well. At breakfast, it would seem a little invidious to single out any one person for mention but I do so because she has a wonderful combination of being discrete, being very friendly and wonderfully efficient: Ann Mac, take a bow. My prejudice must be showing by now. I have stayed here many times and I hope I will be able to do so again in the near future. As I said to my receptionist when I arrived, “this is NOT like coming home, it IS coming home. Thank you Ballymaloe!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Gretry
hazel071, Manager at Ballymaloe House Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you , and a special thank you from Ann Mac she will introduce you to that hen on your next visit . By the way we hope the damage to the Le Broquay works has been halted as we have had them all reframed with acid free mounts etc.

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed April 18, 2013

A private function. Total lack of service...the food was way below par...2 star would be generous. Having stayed in the same Month at another Hotel - I can measure the quality/service/meals against both. I would not recommend Ballymaloe House because it lacked all of the above.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank lauren009
Thank you for you feedback which we appreciate .

Canberra
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed for two nights in early April. We had been prewarned by email that the Sunday night would offer a buffet and the following night a full menu. Our room in the main house was smallish, country house style and looking just a bit like it is due for a revamp. We knew about the tv issue an d could have requested one. Tea was brought up to us when we arrived, but the ability to make tea or coffee in the rooms at all hours would be good, particularly as I have been unwell with a cough.

The buffet dinner was extensive, five meats, pates, fish etc, salads but still seemed expensive for what it was. Breakfast in the morning was very good but no more so than others we have experienced in Ireland this week. The full dinner the next night had some good moments though at times service of the courses lagged. The food while good and plentiful was not especially memorable. Staff are friendly and obliging.

We had the misfortune to arrive at the end of the coldest March for more than 50 years and the weather ouside was bleak. I am sure there would be much to enjoy outside when the sun is shining - croquet, the pool, walks in the grounds.

I guess I hoped to be really amazed or excited at this price and in light of the advertising. All in all this was a very expensive experience and a little underwhelming.

Room Tip: I think the newer rooms outside the main house may be larger and more comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rustica
Southern California
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Friendly service would be the prime reason the Ballymaloe House should get
more than an excellent rating. Everyone including the gardeners eagerly
made us feel part of the "family." The location of the resort is a little
tricky to find, but once there you don't want to leave on the rest of your
trip. The great cooking deserves its glowing reputation. One has to
control one's self or weight gain might soon thereafter follow. The room
was comfortable and spacious with deluxe features that added to the value
of our two night stay.

Room Tip: After looking around at other rooms, I don't think you can go wrong with any room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frugalin
Thank you , we are so happy you enjoyed your stay , our gardeners always love when our guests come in to meet them and have a chat!

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I sent my parents away for a night, at a cost of 300 euro, this was to include dinner , bed and breakfast and tickets to the Fureys and Davy Arthur. If you take away the price of the tickets to the show the overnight stay is 250 euro. Dinner is not dinner it is a COLD BUFFET - Do not get fooled.
Turkey, Ham, Roast Beef and three salads , one choice of soup (tomato) are they in season!!! and a small selection of deserts, the cost for this is 45 Euro p.p.
Just go for bed and breakfast if you must, dont get scamed in to thinking you are paying for dinner and you will get dinner like I did.
I have complained and as of yet after seveal e-mails I have had no response, not even an appology.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emv0
hazel071, Manager at Ballymaloe House Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments , we have been serving a Buffet Dinner for almost 50 years on Sundays and we are sorry your parents found it dissappointing . We would normally email our guests in advance to explain that our dinner on Sunday is a Buffet Style , unfortunatly we had not taken your email address..
Hazel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanagarry
Castlemartyr Resort
Bayview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballycotton
Fota Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Fota Island

Been to Ballymaloe House Hotel? Share your experiences!