“Very disappointing, discriminatory against babies and children, not worth the money it cost, very poor customer service when mad”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shanagarry
Ballymaloe House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Shanagarry B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Ive never written a review before, or made a conplaint for that matter.
We spent 2 nights here, we had a newborn with us, I made sure to enquire that this was okay before booking.
For our evening meal we were seated away away from every other guest in a room all alone, we were not given a choice as to where to eat or what time like other guests.
Same again the following morning for breakfast.
Menu said no children under the age of 7 allowed in dining hall after 7 pm, I was not informed of this when booking even though I made it clear we would have a baby with us.
I wrote an email of complaint following our stay and I got no satisfaction at all, was merely told they felt in the past that parents with young children and breast feeding mothers (which I am) relax more when no in the centre of things. We were blatantly isolated and discriminated against on the bases of having a baby with us.
We are very disappointed by this and the response we received when we complained. We will not return to Ballymaloe and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013
13  Thank KGrygoryev
hazel071, Owner at Ballymaloe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

We are sorry you felt so discriminated against and as I have said in our correspondence it was not intentional .

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Really enjoyed our first visit to Ballymaloe house. We arrived for a two night stay with our three children and grandparents. From the moment we arrived the service was exceptional, all the staff were extremely helpful and attentive. The food as expected was wonderful and the music in the drawing room really added to the enjoyment. The overall stay exceeded our expectations and we hope to return again soon. S Winters

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments , we are delighted you enjoyed your visit and wish you a very happy new year .

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We came here with friends for my 60th birthday. The drive in was like a fairy tale and heralded a fairy-tale like experience. We were early, our rooms were not ready, perhaps tea in the terrace. Fabulous presentation in a glasshouse full of plants, tablecloth, tea service, freshly baked scones, home made jam. The rooms were gorgeous - the bathroom bigger than many bedrooms, with a dresser, arm-chair, a picture window, and a view out over the gardens. A guinness in the bar, newspapers in the reading room, a long ramble in the gardens, in the wilder garden round the lake, and inspect the veggie gardens from which our dinner was to be selected. Wonderful. Many small shops - clothes, coffee, produce and relishes.

It is a large house. Many of the rooms serve as dining rooms, we were invited to inspect them and select our table for dinner. Dinner and breakfast were simply sensational. The freshest local produce, imaginiatevly cooked, with discrete excellent service. Freshly squeezed ruby grapefruit juice or blood orange, excellent full irish breakfast. All wonderful.

We've booked it again for my husband's 70th.

Room Tip: They are all so different, ask to see them. The White Room has a magnificent bathroom (described ab...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank glts

So glad your 60th Birthday was enjoyable , we look forward to seeing you again to celebrate your husbands 70th - I hope we have reserved a room with terrace for you ?

Regards

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights over the October bank holiday weekend with my husband.
Ballymaloe is in a very rural location in East Cork, and while it is convenient enough to Cork City (20 minutes by car), there isn't much in the way of towns nearby. This is not necessarily a drawback- just something to be aware of.
The rooms are beautiful. Nicely appointed with a very comfortable bed. The room we had was in the new part of the house which had its own terrace, which offered access to the pool and tennis courts (this would be ideal for summer time). The bathrooms were very spacious and had lovely little touches, such as homemade lavandar soap.
Overall the service is impeccable, both at the reception desk, the restaurant and the bar/ drawing room.
The hotel is located on a 400 acre farm and you are able to walk around, which was very enjoyable. The hotel has a 5 hole golf course, which we didn't use, but it looked like fun.
We dined in the hotel restaurant on two nights, Saturday and Sunday. Dinner is priced at €70 per head. This represents good value on the Saturday night as the food is well presented and tastes wonderful. However, on the Sunday night Ballymaloe offers a buffet for the same price. While the selection is good and there is plenty of it, I feel this is very over priced.
Overall I think the hotel is overpriced. Our room was €220 per night. Together with the price of the dinner, this made for a very very expensive weekend. While it was enjoyable I couldn't justify going there again at those prices. I think there is better value available in Cork and in Ballymaloe you are definitely paying a premium for the 'Allen' experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments , we appreciate the feed back

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I attended my sister's wedding in Ballymaloe and we had the whole event at the venue (service, meal and accommodation). From the start they showed us the greatest of hospitality and made the family feel like our special day was personally important to them. Getting out of the car I managed to drop my nice clean shirt from the wedding suit onto the gravel. No problem - they had it dry-cleaned within an hour and ready for the ceremony.

We enjoyed a meal that was delicious with fantastic service by the waiting staff. Towards the end of the meal Myrtle Allen came in to make sure everything was going well. Earlier in the evening we had seen her taking care of some small detail and she clearly keeps her eye on everything. The results of her efforts are clear.

The following day we had a full Irish breakfast, which again was gorgeous. The black and white pudding from Rosscarbery has to be tried to be believed. After that I had to take a trip to the shop on the grounds and pick some up for the journey, much to the delight of my partner.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ferg74
hazel071, Manager at Ballymaloe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you - we are delighted your family enjoyed the wedding at Ballymaloe ,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Having read Darina and Rachael Allen's cookbooks, I had always dreamt of going to Ballymaloe, but with a five hour drive it wasn't really a weekend option, however I always said that I wanted to waken up in Ballymaloe House on my 40th birthday so my husband booked it. Having looked at the house in the Blue Book and stayed in other country houses included in it, I had high expectations, I was not disappointed. The house was beautiful, the staff were lovely and the food was amazing !!!
If you go to Ballymaloe make sure you visit the Cookery School Gardens which are stunning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sasha m
hazel071, Manager at Ballymaloe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you , so glad you enjoyed your birthday - we were sorry you haf to move room each day but at least you had a good look at us

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Let me start by saying that this is an old country house with character. It isn't a clinical every room looks the same establishment. It has nooks and crannies and the bedrooms, all decorated individually, open with actual keys as opposed to key cards. It's spotlessly clean but it doesn't have perfect walls and some of the furniture is well worn, that however is what gives the whole place such wonderful warmth and character.
We have just returned from staying 2 nights in the house using it as a base to explore Cork and indulge in a one day course in the associated cookery school. We stayed in the Top room and our daughters in the White room. Both rooms were elegantly decorated.
We didn't mind there not being a TV in the room or the fact that wifi was only available in the Conservatory. This is a place to get away from it all and enjoy all that Ireland has to offer. Beautiful countryside, exquisite food made from locally sourced produce and genuinely warm hospitality.
We only ate dinner in the hotel on our first night. As others have already said it is not cheap at €70 pp excluding wine but that price is not just for the food it is for the whole experience. Breakfast was similarly wonderful, especially the porridge. I'm not a breakfast person normally but the choice on offer here was too delicious to miss.
The staff were the most friendly and cheerful people I have every found in any hotel. Nothing was too much trouble and they were only too pleased to offer help and suggestions on things to do and see.
All in all this was a really relaxing and special way to spend a weekend and we look forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank hxdirect

Thank you - we are always happy to offer a lighter dinner option , we understand that not everyone wants to eat five courses , this information must have been missing from your bedroom , so sorry about that.

Hazel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shanagarry
Castlemartyr Resort
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Ballymaloe House Hotel? Share your experiences!