All reviewsguest loungedairy farmhome bakingfreshly baked sconesdouble roomon arrivalfull irish breakfastviolethostesscereal
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We only stayed one night, but this was my favorite B&B of all the ones we tried in Ireland, and there was stiff competition on our itinerary!

We arrived late afternoon after a long drive with several stops along the coast from Kinsale and a long walk in the drizzle in Schull. Violet greeted us heartily with French press coffee, tea, and amazing cookies all on china in her very comfortable sitting room. She spent a few minutes with us talking as if we were old friends. I felt like I had known her forever!

Our rooms were nicely decorated with beautiful artwork. The bed was comfortable, indoor temperature was wonderful. Shower worked perfectly.

But breakfast the next morning was what would bring me back here in an instant. Her brown bread and scones were handmade as were her jams. I would have eaten those all day long. Fruit juice was freshly squeezed, and again the coffee was wonderful! She offered pancakes (not quite as thin as a crepe but not a fluffy as an American pancake) sprinkled with white sugar and drizzled with maple syrup (they were a big hit!), muesli with yogurt, fresh fruit, an omelette made with eggs from her own hens, and of course an Irish breakfast.

It was the only B&B we stayed in where I felt like I was staying in someone's home and was a personal guest. If we'd had more time, you would have found me with a book in her conservatory looking over her land or sitting out back enjoying her beautiful gardens.

Stay here and you won't be sorry!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank randmel
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The breakfasts are to die for, the rooms are gorgeous and Violet is a national treasure!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank MCD01
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed at Violet's wonderful B&b while on a family holiday to Ireland. It was the cheapest place we stayed but by far the best. Great rooms all individually decorated. Spotlessly clean and comfortable but what set Fortview apart from it's competition was Violet's wonderful welcome ( a pot of the best tea and carrot cake). Her breakfasts are amazing and you leave her table stuffed!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Twiz72
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I didn't really stay here last year (it won't let me go back far enough), it was actually a couple of years earlier but was looking the place up as I'm thinking of returning to Ireland on hols this year and thought I would write a review.
This place is amazing. The house is beautiful. Violet, her husband and the au pair were all absolutely lovely, warm hearted people.
Also the best breakfast I've had -I'm a veggie and usually have a very limited choice, but not here. My family and I go away a lot and have stayed in lots and lots of B&Bs and hotels but never found anywhere that even comes close to Violet's place.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank fussytraveller36
Reviewed September 9, 2010

We stayed here on a recent trip to west Cork. The rooms are well decorated, spacious and spotless. Violet was an excellent host and welcomed us into her lovely home with with tea and cake on arrival. The house is located near Goleen and is an excellent base for touring the mizen peninsula or Sheep's Head peninsula. What makes this B&B stand apart from others we visited on our trip was the breakfast. There was an extensive mouthwatering menu including cheeses, fresh fruit, freshly squeezed juices, homemade muesli, freshly baked scones, breads and pastries. There's more! There was also a list of cooked breakfast options including full Irish Breakfast and pancakes with maple syrup, both of which I sampled on my two night stay and they were delicious. I can honestly say this was the best breakfast I've ever had and cannot recommend this rural retreat highly enough. If you are planning on visiting the Goleen area - stay in Fortview House, you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple