“Our favorite B&B during our stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fortview House

Fortview House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Goleen
Fortview House
Ranked #2 of 2 Goleen B&B and Inns
Greenville, SC
“Our favorite B&B during our stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We only stayed one night, but this was my favorite B&B of all the ones we tried in Ireland, and there was stiff competition on our itinerary!

We arrived late afternoon after a long drive with several stops along the coast from Kinsale and a long walk in the drizzle in Schull. Violet greeted us heartily with French press coffee, tea, and amazing cookies all on china in her very comfortable sitting room. She spent a few minutes with us talking as if we were old friends. I felt like I had known her forever!

Our rooms were nicely decorated with beautiful artwork. The bed was comfortable, indoor temperature was wonderful. Shower worked perfectly.

But breakfast the next morning was what would bring me back here in an instant. Her brown bread and scones were handmade as were her jams. I would have eaten those all day long. Fruit juice was freshly squeezed, and again the coffee was wonderful! She offered pancakes (not quite as thin as a crepe but not a fluffy as an American pancake) sprinkled with white sugar and drizzled with maple syrup (they were a big hit!), muesli with yogurt, fresh fruit, an omelette made with eggs from her own hens, and of course an Irish breakfast.

It was the only B&B we stayed in where I felt like I was staying in someone's home and was a personal guest. If we'd had more time, you would have found me with a book in her conservatory looking over her land or sitting out back enjoying her beautiful gardens.

Stay here and you won't be sorry!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank randmel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

The breakfasts are to die for, the rooms are gorgeous and Violet is a national treasure!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank MCD01
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed at Violet's wonderful B&b while on a family holiday to Ireland. It was the cheapest place we stayed but by far the best. Great rooms all individually decorated. Spotlessly clean and comfortable but what set Fortview apart from it's competition was Violet's wonderful welcome ( a pot of the best tea and carrot cake). Her breakfasts are amazing and you leave her table stuffed!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Twiz72
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

I didn't really stay here last year (it won't let me go back far enough), it was actually a couple of years earlier but was looking the place up as I'm thinking of returning to Ireland on hols this year and thought I would write a review.
This place is amazing. The house is beautiful. Violet, her husband and the au pair were all absolutely lovely, warm hearted people.
Also the best breakfast I've had -I'm a veggie and usually have a very limited choice, but not here. My family and I go away a lot and have stayed in lots and lots of B&Bs and hotels but never found anywhere that even comes close to Violet's place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank fussytraveller36
Galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

We stayed here on a recent trip to west Cork. The rooms are well decorated, spacious and spotless. Violet was an excellent host and welcomed us into her lovely home with with tea and cake on arrival. The house is located near Goleen and is an excellent base for touring the mizen peninsula or Sheep's Head peninsula. What makes this B&B stand apart from others we visited on our trip was the breakfast. There was an extensive mouthwatering menu including cheeses, fresh fruit, freshly squeezed juices, homemade muesli, freshly baked scones, breads and pastries. There's more! There was also a list of cooked breakfast options including full Irish Breakfast and pancakes with maple syrup, both of which I sampled on my two night stay and they were delicious. I can honestly say this was the best breakfast I've ever had and cannot recommend this rural retreat highly enough. If you are planning on visiting the Goleen area - stay in Fortview House, you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Samjula
Grain Valley, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

There were three in our group, we made no reservations for our two week vacation...We actually were lost, tired and hungry when we stumbled upon Fortview House near Goleen in West Co Cork.. Our first Bed and Breakfast...And by far the best we stayed at.
Violet Connell has a very interesting, neat and charming home, wonderful surroundings and you will be treated not just in a friendly manner but very welcomed. The breakfast
was beyond good, it was excellent and plenty of it, served with a smile. Violet provided us with an evening (late late nite) snack and good conversation and directions for the up coming days. The dairy farm provided additional interest for us. I give it 10 stars!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank MissouriGal2010
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

What a place - wonderful food - the breakfasts were fantastic, cakes appeared with tea in the afternoon and we were made so welcome - pampered. Violet, the lady of the house, did everything - and I mean everything - she was amazing. This is the best B&B I have ever stayed in.
Can I find a nit to pick - well the pillows were a bit flat on the beds but if Violet had cooked them I would have eaten them.
Quite amazing B&B on a Model Farm in a beautiful part of the world.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nookman46
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleen
Westlodge Hotel
#3 of 6 in Durrus
Carbery Cottage Guest Lodge
Ballycommane House & Garden
Edencrest Bed and Breakfast

Been to Fortview House? Share your experiences!