“Ballyhannon Castle...absolutely beautiful with lots of romance and charm~”
Review of Ballyhannon Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quin
Ballyhannon Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Quin
Cave Creek, Arizona
“Ballyhannon Castle...absolutely beautiful with lots of romance and charm~”
Reviewed June 19, 2010

My wife and I decided that we would like to get married in Ireland… and how remarkable would it be to get married in a castle! After extensive research on wedding venues, which included hotels and castles – we found an absolute gem! Ballyhannon Castle is truly a gem – a treasure that owners Liam, Margaret, Aron and Leah shares with anyone who wants to have their wedding (or just a relaxing stay) in a genuine castle.

Ballyhannon Castle is unique in that you are taken back in time by this beautiful, authentic stone castle; but Margaret and Liam made sure that the modern conveniences are in place. The castle is located in the very quaint town of Quin – just a short distance from Ennis, the Cliffs, etc.

We had our wedding on the third level of the castle in the “gathering room” surrounded by a huge fireplace and lit candles. We had seventeen family members attend our wedding and every single person in that room was overwhelmed with the experience. We reserved the castle, in addition to the coach house, and had an experience of a lifetime. All 19 of us were very comfortable and we all gathered at the coach house at the end of each day to cook our meal and share our experiences of the day in Ireland.

We had the privilege of meeting and getting to know Margaret, Liam, their beautiful children, and their trusty and helpful friend, Max. Upon arriving, Margaret and family greet you with a warm welcome and the castle was beautifully lit with candles. Max and Margaret knew we were traveling quite a distance and would be extremely tired and hungry and upon entering the coach house, we could smell the aroma of the Irish Stew they had warming for us on the stove.

Our experience at Ballyhannon Castle was a dream come true and we have the most wonderful memories that will last a lifetime. Of course, we can’t wait to return…we will definitely be back to visit Ballyhannon because it will forever remain a very special place to us.

Richard and Denise
Arizona

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dooolin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Galway
Reviewed May 15, 2010

In September 2009, we celebrated our wedding at Ballyhannon Castle. The day itself was fantastic but was made even more magical by celebrating it in Ballyhannon. The castle is a beautiful example of how modern needs can be catered for without compromising the authenticity of the castle itself.
The rooms in the castle are large, clean and beautifully decorated with great attention to detail. There is also a coach house which is very suitable for families and children to stay in, again this is decorated to a very high standard.
I highly recommend Ballyhannon Castle, it is not just beautiful accomodation but an experiance of stepping back in the past.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hwf064
Ballyhannoncastle, Owner at Ballyhannon Castle, responded to this review, July 8, 2010
We remember this delightful couple very well. Indeed we had many communications with them both before and after their booking for their wedding at Ballyhannon Castle. As they departed we were really pleased when they said that everything went fantastically, just as they describe in the text of their review above. They very kindly said they'd be posting their positive experience on Tripadviser, which we always encourage as we love to read the personal perspectives on how Ballyhannon Castle leaves a lasting and meaningful impression on our guests - even if they'd told us so during their stay.

With fond memories we read their glowing review, though we were quite concerned upon noticing somewhat mediocre scores for service, quality of sleep, location and value, as this didn't equate with any of our discussions with them, nor with what they wrote above. It was also out of sync with every other past guest reviewer.

As we had grown to know this couple so well, our concern lead us to ring them to thank them for taking the time to post their great review and also to enquire if something had been left unsaid by them. Naturally, we would want to know of anything unsatisfactory to learn how we might improve our services to ensure our consistent maximum rankings.

Their reply, thankfully, was surprise that what they had completed and ticked on Tripadviser resulted in the scores above. They had unintentionally scored us as they had (3 out of 5) and didn't have any suggestions for us on ways to improve our services and product. This was a great relief and we thank them for clarifying.

Here at Ballyhannon Castle & Coach House we strive to provide the highest quality of service and standards and, with that in mind, we invite our guests to make suggestions to us at any time, particularly during, but especially after their stay. Our 'Mission Statement' is to make our guests' stay at Ballyhannon the most enjoyable and memorable vacation/venue they could possibly choose. While we acknowledge that it's impossible for any venue to be 'all things to all people', nearly 100% of reviewers who have stayed with us post that they would recommend us to a friend. The lone dissident (the one entitled 'make sure you get it in writing'), was motivated by their disappointment for not being able to stay with us; reasons for which we address below that post.

Many of our past guests describe Ballyhannon as both a 'unequalled experience' as well as a most unique place. Their individual experiences are shared on this site, and we aim to maintain that experience and share it for each booking, whatever the occasion.
Brea, California
Reviewed April 30, 2010

The following review is nothing near adequate to describe my experience, nor does it fully reflect the love and admiration I hold for the people I came into contact with during my trip. If anyone reading these words has ever experienced a vacation that exceeded their hopes in any way, you will understand the gratitude these words are meant to convey when I speak of those who made it their goal to give my family and myself the most amazing experience possible. I have allowed weeks to pass (too many, alas) since my trip and sitting down to write this review, so I feel it is with a fairly objective perspective that I can retrospectively view my time and experiences in Ireland.

As would be expected, when you plan a once-in-a-lifetime trip to a country that holds such, and I don't use the term lightly, magic, in its history and countryside, you can't help but build in your mind expectations that are just this side of storybook. Those expectations did not hold a candle to the reality.

Beginning with your first sight of the castle sharp and clear on the horizon, and your first steps through the great doors, the seeds of your future desire to never leave Ireland have already been planted. Those seeds will take deeper and deeper root with every step of the spiral staircase, every room looking out onto the Irish landscape, and every night spent imagining the knights and lords who took refuge in your very room.

The authenticity that has been maintained is nothing short of astonishing, and the discreet modern touches only manage to enhance your appreciation and enjoyment of the experience (hot showers and optional heating were a godsend). We spent our mornings in the kitchen facing the fields from which we filled the table vase with flowers, cooking breakfast with hearty Irish foods compliments of a local grocer. After breakfast, we would plan our day from the eminently comfortable and cozy Great Room. The same room from which, I was amazed to discover later, I had spent hours at simply looking out onto the surrounding countryside from one of its large frosted windows.

We spent our days hiking this surrounding countryside in the company of flocks of sheep, cows, and the occasional equestrian. These hikes were enjoyed in almost every kind of weather Ireland had to offer, save snow. Walking through the Irish countryside in the pouring rain, gathering flowers in the sun from neighboring fields to fill said kitchen table vase, and the always humorous attempts at taking a family picture as hats and scarves inevitably fell sacrifice to howling gusts of wind.

The excellence of Ballyhannon is additionally complimented by its ideal location. Within short driving distance to the main roadways and a rental car at our disposal, we were able to make daily trips to places we will never forget; the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, Durty Nelly’s Pub, Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, Ennis, Adare (some of the best food I have ever eaten at Aunty Lena’s), Limerick, Shannon, and the coast itself. A week’s worth of driving on a single tank of diesel, I might add.

I will forever have those memories of time spent with my family in a country I will always esteem and treasure and the genuinely remarkable people who made this all possible. I have since recommended Ballyhannon to multiple friends contemplating trips to Europe and who have expressed a desire to view the very heart of Ireland. I believe we found that heart, and it beats at Ballyhannon.

1 Thank RichardBirdsall
Brea, California
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Five stars are not enough to rate this wonderful experience my family and I had at Ballyhannon castle. Fantasizing about 'the perfect Irish experience 'can definitely set you up for disappointment. Not so at Ballyhannon. This trip surpassed all my families’ dreams of what a perfect Irish holiday should be.
Liam and Margaret (the owners) were there to meet us and from the moment we arrived, we were treated with warmth and sincere hospitality rarely seen this day and age. Margaret had candles lit on the stone staircase, music playing, and the warmest smile I've ever seen. The bedrooms were beautifully decorated with antiques, soft rugs, swords hanging on the walls- fantastic! The Great Room was the best of all. It has a wood burning fire place, cozy furniture and being on the 4th level, the view was breathtaking!
Liam made sure all the timers for the water heater were set exactly to our needs before they left. We talked for three hours that first day! The time passed so quickly because we felt like old friends right off. They answered all our questions about places to visit, where to buy groceries, walking paths, and Margaret always answered her phone on the first or second ring whenever I called with a question!
The hardest part about the whole trip was having to pack up and leave for home. We all miss our new and dear friends Liam and Margaret, and hope we see them again.

1 Thank hrtangel007
Orange County, California
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My family and I have just returned home from our vacation (or holidays, as the Irish would call it) at Ballyhannon Castle and I cannot say enough about this amazing place. Being in Ireland was like a beautiful dream and staying in the castle was the icing on the cake. There were several times while staying here that I felt like pinching myself because it seemed too good to be true. A 600 year old castle with so much history and beauty; I couldn't have imagined this.

My husband and I slept in the bedroom at the very top of the castle. The room is beautifully decorated and I was struck by how warm and inviting it was, considering that it's surrounded by stone. We slept peacefully and loved waking up to the sounds of the birds singing on the roof above us.

If you have the opportunity to stay at Ballyhannon, I definitely recommend taking a walk down the path that runs behind the castle. The scenery is like something out of a movie; green as far as the eye can see, moss growing on every tree and stone, ponds surrounded by tall grass and a beautiful stream. It was absolutely breath-taking. We also really enjoyed getting to know the Shetland Ponies that live on the castle grounds. They're incredibly friendly and sweet. I wanted to put them in my suitcase and take them home with me.

What stands out to me, above all, about staying at the Ballyhannon Castle is the warm welcome we received. Liam and Margaret are incredible hosts that demonstrate and embody the legendary warmth of the Irish people. They anticipated our needs before we had them. They were so gracious with their time, sharing with us the history of the castle and answering any questions we had. Spending time with Liam and Margaret was like spending time with a best friend that you've known for years.

If you are considering a trip to Ireland, you cannot do any better than to stay in the beautiful Ballyhannon Castle! I will be singing it's praise for years to come!!

1 Thank Nickibeee
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 3, 2010

My fiancee and I booked Ballyhannon Castle for 2 nights (in the last week of March) during our recent holiday to Ireland. This stay was the highlight of our trip to Ireland and we are still talking about it! I have to agree with the prior review which indicates that words (and pictures) simply do not do Ballyhannon Castle justice.

We arrived at the castle on what Margaret (who owns the castle with her husband Liam) termed the worst day in Ireland in weeks. It was cold, unbearably windy, and pouring rain. However, in a way, this added to the mystique of staying in a castle with just the two of us! Margaret and Liam were both fantastic, setting up a fire, candles, and music to set the romantic mood. When they left for the evening, we spent most of the remainder of the evening exploring each of the rooms of the castle (even the dungeon!). Both my fiancee and I love themed hotels (Disney World, Europa Park, etc.) and we could hardly believe that we were staying in a REAL castle. It really is truly unbelievable. The next day, we were planning to do a little exploring in the area, but we could hardly bring ourselves to leave the castle. We did make it to Quin Abbey just a few kilometers from the castle. I highly recommend that visitors check this out, both during the day and to see it lit up at night.

The location of the castle is fantastic too. It is central to exploring the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, etc. It is located just a few kilometers from the motorway and the directions were very simple. It is also a very peaceful, quiet location and your neighbors are some cows and ponies.

I could really go on and on, but as previously mentioned, words can't do it justice. If you are going to be in the area, please consider staying here - you will NOT be disappointed!! This is the best, most exciting place that we have ever stayed (and we have stayed in some fantastic accommodations throughout Europe and the USA), and I doubt that it will ever be topped. Thank you to Liam and Margaret for sharing their treasure with us!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thrillrider
new york, new york
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I too was part of the group that stayed at Ballyhannon Castle the week between Christmas and New Years of 2009. My 8 year old son, my brother, his wife and my mother were also in attendance as well as several close friends and their children. From the moment we arrived there was a magic in the air. We could not believe that we were in such an amazing, historic place! When I met the Lord and Lady of the Castle, Liam and Margaret, I felt like I knew them for most of my life. They are truly beautiful people who I admire greatly, they made their dream a reality and they share that with all those that come to Ballyhannon. We got to spend time with their whole family and their darling children are just precious! Reilly says hello to Aron and Leah and hopes to see them soon in NYC or our next trip to Ballyhannon!
I could go on forever about the experience we had, however when you actually arrive for your own stay, you will see that words are a wee bit inadequate to do Ballyhannon justice!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mcrnyc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quin
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#3 of 9 in Ennis
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to Ballyhannon Castle? Share your experiences!