“A gem, a remarkable b&b”
Review of Fergus View

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corofin
Fergus View
Ranked #1 of 5 Corofin B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida
“A gem, a remarkable b&b”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Incredible breakfasts, wonderful hospitality. And a better collection of maps and books about the Burren than you will find in any library. I stayed 5 nights, so I got to try several of the 3-course breakfasts. I recommend the tea (tisane) made from freshly picked herbs from their garden, the homemade yoghurt, the Bluebell Falls goat cheese (warmed, with mushrooms and smoked bacon on toast). I came by bus from Ennis, (dropped off at the door), found places to walk, one day with a hired guide, other walks recommended by Mary & Declan, went by bus to the Cliffs of Moher and on to Galway, went by hired car (inexpensive) to Corofin for dinner and music. Still, you could explore even more of the Burren if you have a car. If you can find a better b&b anywhere at this price, I'd like to know about it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank rabwitz

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Alameda, California
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Number one....this is the best place for breakfast of all the places we stayed in Ireland. Mary really made our day by what she offered on the breakfast menu. I was in Ireland for 3 weeks with my sister and we where amazed with the breakfast at Fergus View. Starting with the homemade yogurt, cheese plates, crepes, fresh juices, mushroom and cheese dishes...wonderful coffee. If you only go to Fergus View for the breakfast you will not be disappointed. My favorite was the pinhead oatmeal porrage....just try it....Mary makes it starting the day before.... She is just not a gifted cook but has gone to so many schools and classes to learn more about the preparation of food.

In addition to the food Mary and Declan know the area well. We where given a map for the Cliffs of Moher but they also encouraged us to travel to the Burren. What a day....if you have the time do take this trip. If you like crafts and wonderful quality gifts be sure to stop at Quinns Craftshop in Ballyvaughan, Co.Claire at the top of the Burren.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KRISANDBILL
California
Reviewed November 16, 2011

My Review of Fergus View: Kilnaboy, Corofin, County Clare

I was so charmed by Fergus View, which warmed my heart as well as my cold and weary bones! September 2011 was chilly & rainy in Ireland, with a peek of sun now and then. The fire was lit in the welcoming sitting room at Fergus View. My husband and I both loved the ambiance at this cozy, welcoming guesthouse in the wild and peaceful Burren area of County Clare.

I chose Fergus View after extensive research. It was perfect for us, and it was my favorite accommodation overall on our 16-night trip to Ireland. I will include the pros and cons in this review so that you can decide if it's just right for you.

I wish I could adopt Mary Kelleher as my honorary relative (the honor would be mine) so that I would have an excuse to return again and again! This was our first stay at Fergus View, and we want to return for a longer visit. Mary is the most caring b&b hostess I have ever met. She has a nurturing heart, and an artistic touch. We also briefly met her friendly husband, Declan.

Upon our arrival, owner Mary Kelleher served us tea and cake in the cozy fire-lit sitting room. She talked with us and shared great info about the Burren area. The fire was always lit in the sitting room until bedtime, and we returned to this cozy room later in the evening and met another guest, an Irish traveler who was so utterly delighted with her stay that her enthusiasm was catching. Fergus View was the most sociable b&b that we stayed at during this trip to Ireland.

Room & Ensuite bathroom: We had the small and cozy twin room for 1 night. My twin bed was very comfortable with a good mattress. (I'm a woman of average size.) My 6-foot-tall broad-shouldered husband would have preferred a wider bed, but he felt comfortable with the room & shower overall. Our ensuite bathroom was small but our shower was medium-sized and bigger than we expected, after reading tripadvisor reviews. The twin room has welcoming touches, thanks to Mary's thoughtfulness, and we found it cheerful and comfortable. The shower had enough hot water for a quick shower for each of us, but this isn't the place for long showers. (-;

Breakfast is special at Fergus View. Mary started preparing Irish pinhead porridge the evening before. In the morning there was a menu with many wonderful home-made choices. This was the wonderful menu of choices for our morning breakfast:

Home-made yoghurt with honey and fruit and toasted nuts
Freshly squeezed orange, apple or grapefruit juice
Breakfast fruit salad

Pinhead Oatmeal Porridge
Fergus View Muesli
Bran Flakes
Rice Crispies
Corn Flakes
Weetabix

Traditional Irish breakfast
Crepe with Kiwi fruit and maple syrup
Smoked Kippers with tomato
Kilnaboy Cheeses with grapes and kiwi fruit
Scrambled/poached/boiled eggs with bacon
--all eggs are free range--
Warmed Kilnaboy Goat Cheese with mushrooms and bacon on a toast base

Tea: Chamomile, applemint, pineapple mint, lemon balm, earl grey, and decaffeinated ceylon
Coffee including decaffeinated
Toast, Homemade Bread, Marmalade and Jams

Mary serves the food personally with pride. When she heard that we were getting over coughs, she surprised us with glasses of freshly squeezed apple juice from fresh apples, and she advised us to drink it right away to preserve the vitamins. We felt very well cared for.

I loved my breakfast, and it was my favorite on this trip to Ireland. We both enjoyed the Irish Pinhead Oatmeal, which has a wonderful texture, grainy and smooth at the same time. Then my husband and I shared 2 entrees: the Crepes with a sprig of fresh mint, kiwi fruit and maple syrup; and the warmed Kilnaboy goat cheese with mushrooms and bacon on toast. It was such a treat to have something so tasty and different from other b&bs...a nice break from the traditional Irish and smoked salmon. The food at Fergus View is gourmet in both presentation and in the quality of fresh ingredients.

Location:
Fergus View in Kilnaboy, Corofin, County Clare is a convenient stopover between County Kerry and Connemara (County Galway). It's right on the edge of The Burren, which we love to explore. You could also do the Cliffs of Moher as a day-trip from Fergus View...but we already saw the Cliffs of Moher on our previous trip to Ireland. (Cliffs of Moher is about a 50-minute drive from Fergus View.) Fergus View is about a 20-minute drive from Kilfenora where Vaughan's pub has set dancing in the barn on thursday & sunday nights and a session in the pub on tuesdays. Please check the schedule of events for Vaughan's because it can be seasonal and it can change!

Conclusion: I highly recommend Fergus View for travelers who value a warm and friendly ambiance most of all, and who appreciate excellent cooking and fresh ingredients at breakfast. Fergus View is also a great value, and it it is well-located for exploring the wild & peaceful Burren area, which we love (We have visited the Burren on both of our trips to Ireland, and it still calls us back.). My husband and I want to stay at Fergus View for 3 or 4 nights on our 3rd trip to Ireland. Fergus View was my favorite accommodation overall on this trip to Ireland! (-: Fergus View is recommended in the Frommers guidebook 2011. (I have a pile of Ireland guidebooks!) I booked via the email listed on their web-site, fergusview.com

Room Tip: We chose the twin room with 2 twin beds because we didn't want a room with 1 double bed, and Fer...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa5
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed four nights at Fergus View as part of our eight-night anniversary trip. Mary and her husband Declan were exceedingly helpful and accommodating. They were invaluable resources about where to eat, what to see, and how to get there. Plus, they have tons of maps of County Clare to help you plan out your visit. Fergus View is pretty well centrally-located, but not in any city or town, which cuts down on traffic noise. The rooms aren't large, but are comfortable. Be forewarned, however, the showers are roughly the size of a phone booth. And not that Dr. Who-sized phone booth, either. The breakfasts were exquisite. And tea by the peat fire was just the right thing after getting soaked while hiking in the Burren. Be sure to spend some time looking at Declan's garden; he works very hard at it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnCMc
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Since we were planning to sightsee in the Burren the day before flying from Shannon, we thought we would stay in/around Corofin for the night before our flight. Fergus View had excellent reviews and while the rate of 39 euros per night was rather more than we had paid for any other B&B on this trip, we decided to go ahead and book it.

We arrived there mid-afternoon and Mary greeted us with a nice pot of tea and some homemade cake/bread. We discussed a drive through the Burren National Park for the afternoon and she brought out Tim Robinson's map of the Burren and showed us a good route. There was a lot of travel information in the sitting room where we had our tea, so I'm sure Mary could answer any questions a guest might have about the area.

Our room was large, but had a really small bathroom. In fact, the sink was located outside the bathroom because it was so small. On a table, there was a plate with fresh apples, a bottle of water and a fresh rose, which was a nice touch. The bed was extremely comfortable and the lights over the bed were very bright which were great for reading. I did notice that there was no TV in the room.

We needed to get an early start in the morning, so Mary took our breakfast order the evening before so that it would be ready for us right at 8am. The breakfast menu is extensive with many choices for each course. We started out with a glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice, which was good, but I would have appreciated more than one glass even if it was bottled juice. I had the crepes with kiwi fruit which was good, and my husband had the Irish breakfast and said it was also good.

This was a very good B&B and Mary provided a lot of nice touches, but I'm not sure that these amenities were worth the extra cost to me. If you don't mind paying a little extra for a B&B, then you will definitely enjoy Fergus View.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank longhorn74
hertfordshire
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We had high expectations for the warmth and character we would find here.
We arrived late after enjoying an excellent meal at the Roadford House restaurant in Doolin, which we would recommend highly. We were greeted warmly at the door by Mary and it was very much like arriving to a cosy, traditional Irish home with a very personal feel. Mary brought us tea, as well as hot chocolate for the children, along with slices of a delicious fruit cake, enjoyed by an open fire in the sitting-room.
We booked a family room which contained a double and two singles. In hindsight, this was probably a mistake by us as we have two teenage children and we were probably a little too squeezed. It didn’t detract however from our overall enjoyment and is probably something quite particular to us with two teenagers. We slept very well however.
The bathroom was small, as noted by another reviewer, but everything was fine and it has to be recognized that you will always be limited by the architecture of a house and its times.
Breakfast was a delight!
We had our breakfast on a beautifully laid table in the dining-room adjoining the kitchen. The sun was streaming in the windows and the setting quite delightful. Apple juice was freshly pressed from apples straight from the garden and was lovely. For more sophisticated palettes than mine, the yoghurt with fruit was apparently exceptional. More hot chocolate was prepared for the children, which again made them very happy. My wife also had a glass of water but with a mint leaf, which really made it delicious so I am told.
Pinhead Porridge was then taken by all, with individual jars of cream on the side, which made the porridge very luxurious.
A variety of savoury breakfasts were then on offer including home-made Goats Cheese, Pancakes with syrup and, of course, the Full Irish which was beautifully cooked and filling.
Homemade breads and jams were also provided, and tried, which were definitely exceptional.
All in all, breakfast was an absolute treat.
It is no surprise that Mary and her husband Declan continue to receive widespread recognition from a variety of review bodies for the warmth of their welcome and the quality of their food and lodging.
As we stayed in mid-October and arrived late we were not able to fully appreciate the surroundings of the house. I am in no doubt however that they would only enhance the appeal of Fergus View.
Was it finally what we hoped it would be – Absolutely!
To call Fergus View a B&B does not do it justice.
We would readily stay there again.
Thank you Mary.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank bagpuss_and_emily
Bloomsbury, New Jersey
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Fergus View is a great base to explore the Burren. Mary and Declan are unobtrusive hosts. We were greeted with hot tea and refreshments. Later we had a delicious supper in the little town of Corofin . When we came back, Declan made a fire for us in the common room, which was nice even though it was August. There is a lovely old ruin of a church across the street that has a destroyed tower that is dented with one of Oliver Cromwell's cannonballs. We stayed in the family room, which had comfortable beds with lots of warm blankets. The bathroom is tiny, like most we saw in Ireland, but there was a good shower. I slept in the bed under the window, and it has been many years since I've seen so many stars. The area is very quiet, with lovely walks down country roads. Breakfast was delicious and satisfying, and Mary readily made french toast for my daughter even though it wasn't on the menu. Mary has put together a guide book for making the most of your stay in the Burren. Look for it in your room; it may have a homemade cover on it. Sadly, we didn't know there was so much to see and do, so only planned an overnight stay on our way to a place further north. If I had to do it all over again, I'd stay two nights at Fergus View and explore this interesting area more. There is wi-fi available for teenagers who can't live without contacting their friends!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank chateaurouxgirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corofin
Gregans Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Hotel Doolin
Hotel Doolin
#1 of 4 in Doolin

Been to Fergus View? Share your experiences!