“Disaster”

Clare Heritage & Genealogy Centre
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Corofin
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I was there April 2011 & worked with Antoinette. I paid 195 Euros that day. She said it would be a couple months before she could start. Meanwhile, I talked to my cousin who had also paid her years before. I emailed Antoinette before she started any work to cancel & refund my money. Antoinette claims she mailed me a check, but I never received it & i asked her to research the check that she would find it has never been cashed. I have sent numerous emails with no response & no money sent back.
I am extremely disappointed that Antoinette could not do the right thing.

3  Thank Ambi10

Reviewed June 24, 2013

A real glimpse into the past. We didn't spend as much time as we would have liked as too many other things to see!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

In April of 2013 my husband and I realized one of my dreams, when we travelled from the USA to Ireland to visit my ancestral country. While we had some details about my family tree we were woefully ignorant of the finer details about the family background. What a life changing experience we had after crossing the Clare Heritage Center threshold! The welcome we received from this amazing little center enable us to not only find my ancestral farmstead where my great grandmother was born, but also to locate some of our long-lost cousins!
The staff and volunteers at the center were truly a gift to my family. The director of the center, Antoinette O’Brian accommodated our unexpected visit to her center with grace and enthusiasm. Her ability to juggle our visit while dealing with a multiple of day to day items was a joy to behold! She answered phones, took center enquiries from staff, produced historical items for us to view, all with ease and efficiency. Never once did we feel that we had intruded on her time or efforts. Because of the welcome and information we received (within 24 hours of us walking through Clare Heritage Center’s doors) I was able to provide my 97 year old mother with a picture of the home her grandmother was born in as well as photos of one of her cousins who still resides a few miles from the old farmstead.
The capability of the center to locate my ancestral home on such short notice is a testimony to their dedication to their mission. This small but dynamic center is a MUST visit for anyone who has ties with this beautiful county. Thank you Antoinette and all the staff and volunteers at Clare Heritage Center!

1  Thank Molly S
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stopped in Corofin completely on a whim after driving across from Dublin on our way to Lahinch. While the heritage centre was closed, the accompanying 'Genealogy centre' has an interactive display and information dioramas that can keep you entertained while you wait to chat to one of the assistants at the front desk. They were happy to help us with directions to a few places - and completely by chance, we also spotted that they were running a free 'Nature Trail' walk that Sunday. So we signed up.

Two days later, we went on the nature trail, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our guide, Ann (I think), was very informative, and if she didn't know the answer to a question, she had her handy books for you to take a look in if you wanted. The weather was far from kind during our walk, but none of us noticed! For an hour and a half walk around some quite astounding countryside, it's well worth dropping in to the centre! Oh, and they have an 'app' in the iTunes store too (look for Burren Nature Trail)

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Centre contains many resources to help people research their genealogy. It contains newspapers, maps, books, on-line help. Anyone whose ancestors came from County Clare might do well to make arrangements for a visit to this centre while touring Clare.