“Outstanding!!!”

Clare Heritage & Genealogy Centre
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Corofin
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Clare Heritage Centre was outstanding. They were very thorough in researching my family. The information I received was absolute amazing! I was amazed with the wealth of information I received. Anyone I dealt with was patient and very professional. I have been researching for the last 10 years and have used the Centre at least 3 times. Any time I either emailed or called them I always received a response within days. I have been to Ireland many times in the past 8 years doing family research. My visit to the Centre in Corofin proved to be very rewarding and a highlight of my trip. The girl who spoke with me was patient, professional and very competent. My experience with research is to have patience and work with competent people. The Heritage Centre in Corofin is such a place. I highly recommend using the Centre.

1  Thank Betty C

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I don't know where the other reviewers were but was not the geneology center I found. I had only a week in Clare last month when I arrived in Corofin without an appointment. "Not a problem" said Antoinette O'Brien. She would do what she could for me in the 15 minutes she had before a group was due to arrive. In a kind but "no-nonsense" manner came the rapid-fire questions. I could tell she's been doing this a long time and knows what info is going to be the most helpful. The pricing for the services was presented as was the fact that they are backlogged "at least" 5 months.
She told me to call in two days - she would find me something before my trip was over. And did she ever! The exact location, with a map, of my grandfathers birthplace, the church and cemetery where my greatgrandparents were married/buried, the marriage record (it was the day after their anniversary) and many many other records that kept me busy the last two days of the trip.
Antoinette dropped everything to put me where my family lived and walked. She acknowledged the pull of our heritage and is obviously passionate about it.
So I'll wait the six or eight months for the rest of the info and its worth every cent.
Thank you, Antoinette and all the staff!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

In searching my family history I was put in touch with Clare Heritage Centre. I live in the United States and was trying to find information about my grandmother who came to this country in the early 1900's from Clare County Ireland. I e-mailed a letter with the little bit of information I had about my grandmother and was contacted by a lovely woman. Through her help I was able to find the information she needed to research my grandmother's family. We kept in touch by e-mail and phone.
What I received from the Centre was an incredible history of my grandmother's family. I can't say enough nice things about Clare Heritage Center and if I am lucky enough to travel to Ireland I will be sure to visit the Centre.

PG
USA

1  Thank Patricia G
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Ten members of my family who live throughout the US travelled to Ireland on a "roots tour" for my mother's 80th birthday. My mother has always been interested in her family lineage and she was thrilled to discover the Genealogical Centre at the Clare Heritage Centre in Corofin; she found out about these centres by searching the web in advance of our trip and contacted them to learn about their services. My mother provided some family information in advance which the genealogist, Antoinette, used to conduct research and to prepare a substantial written report for us. Antoinette also agreed to have a meeting with us based on our travel schedule, as we only had one day available to visit Corofin. Initially only three of our party went for the meeting, but eventually the entire family filled the small room and everyone listened with great interest as Antoinette carefully explained the kinds of records -- and the lack of records -- available for genealogical research in Ireland prior to the mid 1850s. This was an amazingly informative history lesson. She asked us many questions and, like a detective, was able to deduce from a combination of our info, her knowledge, and the scant available records the most likely scenario for our "roots". This was indeed a highlight of our trip.

As with many things, the experience at the Genealogical Centre may be influenced by individual expectations. It seems that others who have commented on this site may not have realized that it is best to contact the centre in advance, to share known information, and to allow plenty of time for the staff to conduct their research. It is not an instantaneous process. Additionally, because of the lack of records from earlier centuries, the information that one obtains may seem limited; but this is not the fault of the centre or the genealogist but rather an element of Ireland's fascinating history.

2  Thank RmB612
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The Heritage Centre was just OK. However I decided to visit the Genealogy Centre too to enquire about my great grandfather who came from County Clare. The woman who was sent to deal with me was extremely rude to the point of aggression. I was amazed at her rudeness. She basically told me that the family name was NOT a County Clare name and that I was wasting her time. I assumed that she was looking for payment for any advice or help, I would've happily paid her, but she made not mention of this. Her entire body language, demeanor and tone implied that I should leave and not waste any more of her time. I have since found that the family name I was tracing in definitely a Clare name and that at one point the Castle of Dysert O'Dea, which happens to be in Corofin itself was once owned by one such family ancestor! I have two American friends who visited the Genealogy Centre in June and the same woman was incredibly rude to them too......welcome to Ireland!

7  Thank JBMEB