“Clean up your act”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leighlinbridge
Dublin, Ireland
“Clean up your act”
Reviewed September 19, 2010

My friend and I arrived at the hotel at 11 am on a Saturday; we just wanted coffee.
We went into the bar/restaurant and sat down. Our order of coffee for two and a scone was taken and after a twenty-minute wait, was finally served up.
The coffee was disappointing and the scone was stuck to a paper serviette, having been overheated in a microwave oven, thus making it inedible.
We did not stay long.
Having paid for the coffee only; there was no apology for the paper-lined scone, we both headed for the loos.
My friend found the Ladies strewn with paper and generally untidy, while the Gents was filthy and had obviously not been either inspected or cleaned since the day before. Like the Ladies, it was littered with tioilet paper. There was a half-full glass on one of the basins and one of the two WCs was covered with vomit. Again it was obvious that nobody had bothered to check or clean up since the day before.
My friend complained to the receptionist, who told her that they were short of a cleaner that day.
Dave.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dave186605
jkehoe, Owner at The Lord Bagenal Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2010
Dear Dave186605

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your visit to the Lord Bagenal.
We pride ourselves on being the #1 Hotel in the area so were very concerned about your complaint.
I have checked with the staff on the day in question and although we were indeed down a member of staff in the morning the night staff have a responsibility to ensure the public areas are cleaned before they go off duty. I have addressed this issue with them.
We apologise for your unsatisfactory visit to the Lord Bagenal and hope that you return and experience all The Lord Bagenal is renowned for.
Thank you again for your comments and if you wish to discuss this matter with me further you can call the Hotel and leave your number at reception and I will return your call immediately.
Kind Regards
James Kehoe
Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
waterford
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Although we had been driving from Waterford to Dublin for the last number of years we had not heard of this hotel. Along with 4 friends the 6 of us decided on a quick break not far from Waterford. Our friends booked this hotel and it was just a fabulous find.
This hotel has very modern and well furnished bedrooms. The best bit is that it adjoins a traditional Pub that serves delicious food.
The staff were really nice and could not have been more relaxed.
We enjoyed our visit very much and are now considering this as our daughters wedding hotel for next summer.
The only reservation we had is that there is no leisure centre but it certainly is the perfect spot for a breakaway in peace and quiet.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
wexford
Reviewed July 9, 2010

My husband took me on a mystery trip to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I had no idea where I was going. On a beautiful summers day we arrived at the Lord Bagenal Hotel near Carlow.
The hotel sits right on the river with a marina choc a bloc full of boats and the setting was perfect for a summer evening.
Our bedroom was absolutely fabulous with a big 4 poster bed which seemed to overhang the river. Downstairs we saw the art room which was full of what looked like very expensive paintings. To celebrate our anniversary we ate in the hotel restaurant and it could not have been better. The staff and (we presume) the owner James could not have done more to welcome us. To cap it all, when someone told them it was a special treat we were surprised by a big bottle of champagne with our meal.
We meant to stay for 2 nights but ended up staying 3.
This is a real hidden gem and they really made my very special occasion a memorable visit. Thank you so much Susannah McMahon

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Stayed in the Lord Bagenal Inn recently with a very large group of extended family and was very disappointed with both the room I was allocated and the quality of food we received for our breakfast. Everyone wAs extremely disappointed with there breakfast, alot of people couldn't eat it and that is very unusual in my family.
As I was attending a wedding there I saw the rooms in both the new and old part of the hotel and there is a world of difference in the quality, although the price is the same. I would also say €110 for a double room in any hotel in Ireland would need to be extremely luxurious and the Lord Bagenal most certainly is not. Its over priced and if your room is in the old part , I would recommend ringing ahead and asking for a room in the new part, if one is not available, insist on a price reduction. Definite ripe off Ireland mentalitly still at work at this hotel.
The wedding reception itself was excellent and the quality of the wedding meal was very good.
The staff who are overworked were extremely efficent and very friendly.
I have stayed at lots of hotels in Ireland and this one is not really up to standard - very disappointed indeed

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
jkehoe, Owner at The Lord Bagenal Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
Dear ‘Shopping –Spraoi’
Thank you sincerely for your feedback on Trip Advisor

As the No.1 hotel in our area as rated by Trip Advisor, we are always eager to do better, eager to improve and, most of all, keen to keep our guests happy.

Naturally, your complaint, though rare at The lord Bagenal, is of deep concern to us and again our thanks for taking the time to report your concerns.
Since you posted your note on Trip Advisor we have gone to great lengths to review all our daily log and notes to trace your complaint.
We have also interviewed all of our staff who were on duty that day and night in an effort to trace your complaint and concerns.
Unfortunately we cannot find any complaint, either verbal or written, and we really would like the opportunity to rectify and address your concerns.

Again, your Trip Advisor tag of ‘Shopping-Spraoi’ unfortunately does not allow us to know who you are so we can only respond to you through Trip Advisor.

We would very much like to have connected with you directly to discuss your concerns and to remedy your experience.

Whilst we appreciate your desire to make an anonymous post on Trip Advisor you might feel more comfortable discussing the matter directly with me which will allow us the opportunity to resolve your unease.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to call me direct at your convenience? Or, leave a number where we can reach you?

I have instructed all of my staff to make sure I am immediately contacted in the event of your call.
Also, if you wish to remain anonymous then please feel free to call and say that you are calling in connection with Trip Advisor. Again, I have informed all my staff to expect your call.

Finally, we are sincerely sorry for any upset that you may have endured and we would really welcome the opportunity to address your concerns .

We do hope you will call us so that we can alleviate your unease and rectify the situation which we would be delighted to do.

With Best Wishes,

James Keogh
Proprietor
Limerick
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed for a family wedding, the check in was fine but we were sent off to our room which you would need a map for, very hard to find, the room was small in comparison to other rooms and the view was far from good, over looking flat roofs to the back, not good for a four nite stay!! Also we lacked storage for our clothes and the room was over crowded with furniture and cold until we figured out how to work heating system, there was no hot water in the morning for some strange reason but it did warm up in the afternoon and no heating in the bathroom!! The sink was constantly blocked and had to wait a good bit for the water to go down, on a good note the staff were excellent and the breakfast was the best and the girl i think her name is Sarah was brill...fine but not brill!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed April 10, 2010

We had our wedding here in December 2009 and could not hve had a better experience. As groom I stayed the night before as well as the night of and got great help from James and all his staff.

All our guests went out of their way to comment on the food and wine and how nice it all was which was great. price was very good for the quality of everything and the staff couldn't do enough for us. James (the owner) did a great job managing the whole event and was a great source for advice in the lead up to the big day. I couldn't recommend the hotel highly enough for a wedding

Many thanks to everyone at the Lord Bagenal for making it te best day it could possibly be!

Daragh & Treasa

• Stayed December 2009
plymouth, devon, uk
Reviewed March 25, 2010

My Wife, son (6 years old) and I, stayed here for one night (still here and about to check out) and from the moment we arrived, to now, the service, quality and attentiveness is in abundance!! The feeling and service has a very personal touch, which was very well received. One of the hotel staff has offered a gift to my son, which only adds to the attention to detail. The hotel was quiet on the night we stayed, however, you have the opportunity to enjoy yourself in a lively/cosy bar environment with good bar food, or, you can eat very good food (although we opted for the bar menu), but I assume the restaurant would be more of the same. A special thanks to Niall (spelling unsure), the barman for his generous offer of a gift to our son. If you are desiring somewhere special, with a exclusive touch, then it's worth taking a trip here. Thankyou very much to you all.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leighlinbridge
Talbot Hotel Carlow
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Seven Oaks Hotel
Seven Oaks Hotel
#3 of 5 in Carlow
Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to The Lord Bagenal Inn? Share your experiences!