“very pleasant stay”

Lakeside Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Virginia
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Very helpful staff bent over backwards to let us have a room with front view over Lough Ramor - absolutely lovely! Hotel was clean and tidy, food in bar was good but just that - pub grub! Was disappointed that restaurant was only open for Sunday lunch. Certainly no real complaints and would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 2, 2010

Stayed here last weekend - bedroom nice and clean. Bar and other public areas are not clean. Dining room only open Saturday night and Sunday morning - otherwise you can eat in the bar. On Sunday morning the paper cloths on the dining room tables were dirty - obviousy there since at least the night before. Also half smoked cigarette on the window sill (inside) along with dead flies. Children still in the bar at 11 o'clock at night. No thanks, never again. Mentioned some of these issues when checking out but they couldn't have cared less.

TG Galway

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TandEGalway_Ireland
Reviewed August 24, 2010

My fiance and I stayed in The Lakeside Manor Hotel last weekend as we were attending the Fleadh Ceoil in nearby Cavan town. I dont usually take thye time to leave reviews but after reading the previous review I felt compelled. This was our second time to stay in The Lakeside Manor and I cannot say enough about this cosy family run hotel hugging the shores of Lough Ramour.

We arrived late afternoon on a warm day and after checking in we decided to have a drink before making our way to Cavan. I have to say the picturesque views and sun beaming down made it very hard to leave. The service was top notch, with a busy waiter catering tyo our every needs while we relaxed outside. The room was beautiful with stunning views over the lake, very spacious and spotlessly clean. The owner of the hotel even organised a free lift for us down to the Fleadh with a friend of his! (Saved us a taxi fare!!)
We didnt spend long at the Fleadh and found it difficult to find a taxi out of Cavan so we called the Hotel and they had one with us within minutes! When we arrived back the bartender greeted us by our first names and offered us the daily paper. Very nice personal touch.

The food served in the bar was very good. One complaint I would have was that the bar got a little cold as the night progressed. This was caused from people using the emergency exit to go out to smoke. I'm not a smoker myself so I found this quiet aggrivating!

Now my fiance and I are both in our 30's and wouldn't generally frequent nightclubs. But with free entry for residents we said 'when in rome'! To our surprise we discovered all drinks were €3! I don't know if that was a special promotion for that night but we weren't complaining! The nightclub has a fantastic smoking area looking down on the entire club and there was a 2FM DJ playing. (I cant remember his name but he was a very friendly guy!) We had a terrific nights craic and enjoyed a guilty burger from the chip van afterwards!

We stumbled back into the residents bar afterwards and were greeted by a very friendly nightporter. I dont think we went to bed till 6am in the end! (The craic was too good!) .
Needless to say we slept on a little late and by 12:30 we had figured we had missed breakfast. However, when we got to reception, the receptionist declared 'you look like you could do with breakfast' and arranged a fabulous full Irish with all the trimming for us. By god was it appreciated!

It was these little personal touches that made us feel so at home at the Lakeside Manor, nevermind the beautiful views and first class food! Neither me nor my partner can understand the last review as it just seems ridiculously critical and unfair. Some people just like to complain! We will certainly be back!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank greengiant72
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I have never yet posted a review about anywhere, but after our recent stay in this place I really did feel I had to vent my anger in relation to it !!

On our way to this Hotel I phoned and enquired about our party renting out the Jet Skis to go out on the lake. I was told that we would not be able to do this, as the County Council had banned them from the lake. I was told this was no fault of the hotel. This was very true.. but as to why they still list it under their activites on their hotel web site is a bit of a puzzle.

Both my partner and I along with another couple stayed here two weeks ago. On arrival the place does appear to be very nice on the shores of the Ramor Lake. The rooms are large with old furniture ,and thin walls!!

After check in we went down and sat outside as it was a lovely day, we got some drinks from the bar and waited for our other friends to arrive. After they arrived and checked in they also got drinks in the bar. One of them had to send back her glass as it was filthy (almost furry) they noted that it took the bar tender three atttempts to find a clean glass.

The nightclub in the Hotel is free entery for residents, they actually would need to be paying people to go into this nightclub. Joke of a place.. however all the very young teenagers drinking and the shanagans going on did allow for a bit of a laugh.

The breakfast next morning was swimming in fat..to the extent that there was fat dripping of the egg when it was taken of the plate. Later the same afternoon I purchaced a bottle of Miller beer in the main Hotel bar and found a bit ill tasting..had thought maybe it was the slice of lemon. When it was investigated further it was found that the bottle of beer was actually two weeks short of being a year out of date (08.07.09).. there was even small black spots of mold on the outside of the bottle. It was given back to the bar tender who stated the stock rotation must not be getting done??

When I left here I had the misfortune of having to recontact the Lakeside Manor Hotel, as I left my phone charger in the room after check out. I spent ten days ringing and spoke to all of the following people ( Breda, Anna May, Meabh, Eddie and Pauleen) Every time I phoned I was either told to phone back because it was not their job to check the room and see if it was still there, and that it did not appear to be left with the lost and found items, or I was told someone would ring me back..and they never did!!
When Breada ( the hotel manager) eventually checked the room they found the socket of the charger (i phone charger ..the cable of it was missing) Breada then asked where I lived, when I told her Glaway she asked me " how on earth am I going to get it to you?" I said post it! I could not beleive what I was hearing.. to think that these people would begrudge you the price of a postage stamp after leaving €200 for accomodation alone, not to mention what extra was spent on STALE drink?

I still have no charger. When I phoned today I was told Breda was off work and they would enquire about the charger when she returned to work! The usual drill!!

Needless to say after 10 days of ringing this place and having spoken to a lot of very rude unfriendly people and with very little progress having been made.. I ordered a charger on line.. and care less if never seen the PART of the charger they found.

In all this place is a total shambles and I would NEVER stay here again. Faulty towers.. This place is just bad value for hard earned cash in a recession!!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank RashersIreland
Reviewed March 17, 2010

a croud of us went here in november 09, when the wet weather stopped us going elsewere, i have stayed here a couple of times and always enjoyed it, we were, i think the only guests that nite, and after we had food (which was excelent) in the bar we went to the niteclub, oh what a laugh we had in their, we were all 30 somthings and the crowd was`18/19 year old, very funny watching them, the hotel has the most amazing views over the lakes, the bar staff served us beer till 5am, then up for breaky at 11am which was to die for, the rooms were very nice and comfy, big beds and alot of space, for a 3* it was brilliant and we are all going again, check out the burger van out side niteclub after a few beers its great.

• Stayed: November 2009
1  Thank irishjig69b
Reviewed January 6, 2010

Hi all
Yesterday was the coldest day in Ireland for 50 years and I was as snug as a bug in a rug. For the rest of you who had to suffer the weather I can only say I am sorry for you, but for me I was blown away with the views offered in the Lakeside Manor hotel carpark. The huge lake surrounding the hotel was absolutely frozen white.
On arrival to the hotel I was greeted by a friendly, witty receptionist. The foyer was homely and comfortable, complete with christmas tree and blazing (very authentic) gas log fire. The perfect entrance for a lone buisness person who needed to feel that home from home feeling.
After a cracking chicken curry from the bar menu I decided I would like to go to the local town, Virginia, about 1 miles away. To my delight I was offered a lift by the owner who indicated the different bars available, I decided to go to the darts bar.
The following moring the sun broke over the white frozen lake, It really was A VIEW TO DIE FOR.. Wish I had taken some photos to send to Martin King on TV3.
All in all, great value, great food and friendly service.
I cant wait until the M3 arrives and reduces my journey time from Dublin to virginia 35 mins

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank ZaphoidDublin
Reviewed January 6, 2010

On arriving at the Lakeside Manor Hotel on a cold December evening we realised that we had found a jewel in Irelands crown of hospitality, our luggage was taken from us at the car by a helpful and friendly young man who led us to reception and introduced us to Breda, who in turn arranged the room and dinner for us with no fuss. Our room overlooked the lake, the moonlight dancing on the water was magical, mystical and entrancing, well worth staying in the hotel just to enjoy this wonderful sight. The room was large and luxurious with a bright and spacious bathroom resplendent with soft towels and bathing products.

We opted for dinner in the comfortable and friendly bar where one could either enjoy a quiet drink or engage with the friendly locals and the embullient host Jim himself.

Whilst the hotel does not boast a swimming pool or the dreaded fitness centre it does offer a fantastic walk along the shores of Lough Ramor, and for the brave hearted, it is safe to have an early morning dip in the clear lake waters and then enjoy a freshly brewed coffee in the lounge bar afterwards.

For friendly and helpful staff, freshly prepared local cuisine, fantastic scenic views and comfortable rooms we highly recommend the 'Manor' as it is referred to locally, as a wonderful place to spend the night or use as a base to tour the North East of Ireland.
Quite simply : excellent!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Killeneny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Virginia
Cabra Castle Hotel
Headfort Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kells
Errigal Country House Hotel
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Lakeside Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!