“Good value Groupon offer.”

Lakeside Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Virginia
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We went as a family and had 2 rooms we paid £39 per room which was good value. Although the offer was to include a bottle of wine we were never offered this but it did not bother us.
The rooms were very large in size and were clean, the hotel itself was quite dated but this was interesting for us as it gave us lots to look at, the rooms had tea & coffee making facilities which was good. One downside I would say is that the tv only had 2 channels and as I am an early riser I would like a choice. The hotel staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcomed, the guy that served our breakfast was excellent and very attentive ( small frames dark haired guy) the
breakfast was good with nothing being too much trouble. The lake was very beautiful and the village of Virginia was lovely also, very peaceful and relaxed break. I would return if I hit this offer again.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My sister had her wedding here last Friday (02/08/13); and I have to say the whole experience was amazing from start to finish. If I'm to be quite honest I wasn't really sure what to expect, I'd driven by the hotel many times, and although I thought the scenery was spectacular, I wasn't all that gone by the look of the hotel from the outside. BUT ohmygoodness; once I went inside I totally fell in love with the place... There was nobody behind the reception desk, but you just dialled 0 and someone was with us within seconds. The girl was sooooooo friendly, very chatty and very helpful. We got to our room which overlooked the lake (Lough Ramor), the rooms themselves were lovely, but (and here's my favourite part) the mattress has got to be the most comfortable thing I've ever slept on; seriously, if there had of been a way of shoving it out the patio doors and attaching it to the roof of the car without anybody noticing I would have been sorely tempted!!!!
The overall look of the place was right up my street, it's not full of IKEA style furniture (sorry IKEA, I do like your stuff, but just not here), they had beautiful period pieces, and not just in the reception area, but throughout the whole hotel. They'd gone to the trouble of placing beautiful lanterns on the staircase leading up to the reception room; and once the ceremony itself was over they had an area outside which served punch (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) to guests whilst they were arranging the room for the reception.
The food was delicious, and the hotel was very child-friendly. Breakfast was amazing (we ordered room service the night before) and HUGE!!! My sister-in-law missed breadfast (it finishes at 11am), but one of the waitresses got sausages and bacon russled up for her anyway!!
Over-all I'd highly recommend the place and I really can't wait to go back, although the next time it would be nice to go with a guy rather than just with a friend (sorry Trish!!). They also rent out boats, but unfortunately for us the water was a bit choppy the next day so we didn't avail.
It's a very romantic spot. The bridal suite was beautiful, the four poster bed with lace....
If you're looking for the Hilton or a bling style hotel then this is not the place for you; however, if you're looking for other worldly, romantic, quirky and family run then this most definitely is...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Nichola M
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived late on the 1/08 for the wedding on the 2/08 5 adults and 2 toddlers dinner was just finishing but there was no problem in getting 7 mains and sides. It was with some caution that I attended my Brothers wedding at the Lakeside Manor This was generated after reading some of the less favourable reviews on here. However, I was pleasantly surprised on initial viewing of the outside of the building it seems to be in need of being refreshed, simply done with a fresh coat of paint. The rooms are a standard Irish 3star, bathrooms are a bit small but perfectly formed with everything one needs the basics. The view from the room was beautiful, the room was clean but I did walk into a spiders web but for me that just added to the charm of the place, the Lakeside Manor is a very good country hotel it has charm and quaintness. Most of which is generated by the staff for particular mention is Maeve, & Elaine and the breakfast supervisor who I neglected to get her name. All were extremely helpful and worked hard to make our stay comfortable and pleasant which they did above and beyond the call of duty. It is not an easy task trying to please guests but the Lakeside Manor staff did even the the two boys who are related to the owner worked the drinks service at the wedding and the bar with speed efficiency and presented themselves very well. Maybe its the fact that the owner is not hands on when it comes to service, but that perhaps is why the staff work so well. The dinner menu in the bar is good in particular the salmon & cod duo and the steak sandwich, a suggestion would be maybe a slight update on some of the main courses. But all in all this hotel is a very good country hotel and any critique included is meant as constructive. A poll of the guests on the wedding banquet resulted in a general thumbs up for the chef so no fault there. Unfortunately due to a family member taking ill I missed the banquet but the staff kindly arranged a diner for me and it was excellent. As a final comment the staff are charming and helpful and work hard., I would suggest some additional contemporary training which will give them a level of finish and experience which will just improve the overall service for international and local guests, another addition would be name badges and maybe even some type of service uniform. I will recommend this hotel and I will endeavour to get back. A further mention for the guy who cleaned the carpark and the outside tables who showed attention to detail and worked hard.
William

Room Tip: Look for a lake view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank william N
Reviewed July 24, 2013

From the moment we booked our wedding at the Lakeside Manor Maeve & Breda could not do enough for us, We had eaten in the hotel previously and the food has always be delicious so when we looked at the main function room with the fabulous lake views we were sold! The room was perfect for our wedding and has a fab statement glass wall which separate's a small part of the room which at our request Maeve set up into an arts & crafts corner for the kids.We arrived to our fruit punch arrival drinks were our guests relaxed,mingled and enjoyed the view until dinner was announced.The food as usual was amazing and our guests where left waiting for nothing. All staff were very friendly and helped with any requests made to them.In the evening the guests enjoyed an evening supper dressed out in the adjoining room to the function room were they could relax away from the music if they wanted. Unfortunately the weather wasn't on our side but thanks to the hotel's views and quirky furniture we still got amazing pictures to remember our day! Overall we had an amazing day, filled with amazing people and memories and we would recommend this hotel to anyone. Another huge thank you to the staff of The Lakeside Manor, look forward to seeing you soon!

Room Tip: Lake View room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Andrea D
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have gone to this hotel as a passer by, as a guest at weddings and spent time down by the lakes and each time I have gone I have experienced a mixed bag of service.

If going for a meal in the hotel avoid the carvery! It is never the same no matter how many times I have been. I always say to myself give it another go and then its dissapointing. If you could I would wait for the A la Carte which is fabulous. I enjoy their dishes and there is plenty of selection.

The rooms are nice. Do exactly what is needed from hotel rooms when attending a wedding which is get a few hours sleep. If you are staying I would try to ask for a Lake View because even though it overlooks the car park the lake is still a lovely sight to wake up to compared to the main road which passes the side of the hotel!

Having attended weddings here I am not going to deny that it is not a hotel I would be looking at for my wedding. The room itself is a nice sized room, however the layout of the room is not great. The stairs up to the room are surrounded by a glass wall that nearly blocks off a number of guests from the room and while I know its only for the meal it just makes you feel that they are separated from the rest of the wedding party. The food for the weddings I have been to is lovely. However again because the way the room is laid out it is slow service to one whole section of the room.

All in all no it is not a great hotel. At times there can be great things about it but then there are things that make you wonder how on earth the place is still open! Maybe it might just be time for a complete overhaul of staff management and refurbishment!

Room Tip: Lake View if possible
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank broadtraveller862
Reviewed July 21, 2013

arrived friday evening for a weekends stay , walked into reception and dialled 0 for service ,
i didnt have any problem with this at all despite other reviewers having one.
we were then greeted by jim the owner, who welcomed us and filled us in on bedroom location bar lounge location etc the usual . and then wished us a happy stay .
room had a view of the lake which was lovely and was also air-conned , which was needed this weekend.
there was plenty of people around so bar service was hectic but good.
breakfast is to die for - a PROPER IRISH , with just about anything else available too , and served by a gent -johnjoe.
make no mistake this is a true family owned and ran establishment the way it should be .
jim whom we seen quite a bit of over the 2 night stay was always asking was everything ok? and genuinely seemed interested .
we will definitely be back and thats a fact.

Room Tip: the lake view on the first floor would be amazing if available and worth it too
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank garry c
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel with a deal voucher, we thought we were getting a great deal with the cheap price. We arrived at the hotel where we had to wait a long time at the reception desk for somebody to come and check us in, the lady that eventually did was very abrupt and not a bit cheery! When we got to our room, which we paid extra for so we could have a lakeview room, we couldn't have been more disappointed. The decor was dreadful and dated and the bathroom was terrible. We left our bags into the room and went outside for a cigarette only to be told by the same lady on the reception desk that we had to hurry up because she was locking the doors. It was only 10pm. It felt more like a hostel or something. We were told there was a kingsize bed in the room but it was just two single beds pushed together and one of them was slightly higher than the other, which made for a very uncomfortable sleep, we complained twice about this and twice they claimed to have changed it but they didn't! The location was dreadful, when we asked for directions to virginia town we were told it was a 5 min walk away. It was infact over an hour and on a very busy road with no footpath! The lake is wasted, nothing goes on, no boat activities even! We had bar food in the hotel and were disgusted with it! I've cooked much nicer meals myself. It was very basic and bland and you could tell the chef wasn't overly experienced or just useless at his/her job. We couldn't wait to leave this hotel and it is safe to say we've been put off ever returning to county cavan. Such a dreaful experience!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Laineykins86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Virginia
Cabra Castle Hotel
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club
Headfort Arms Hotel
Headfort Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kells

Been to Lakeside Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!