“Fast food in comfortable surroundings”
Review of The Riverfront

The Riverfront
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Virginia
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Sunday afternoons in the Riverfront Bar & Grill, in the Riverfront Hotel in Virginia County Cavan, was the best time to check on service and quality of food. Service was excellent, food arrived speedily, was tasty, but one got the distinct impression of fast food, not an event but a good service!

2  Thank RetireeOldcastle

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We ate here recently, lovely food, great service. I enjoyed my steak plenty of food served. Staff were good. One waitress in partipicate was very friendly and served with a smile on her face. I would visit here again.

1  Thank smalltourist
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have eaten a few times in this restaurant in the past. Had found it to be a bit hit and miss both re the standard of food and on occasion with the time waiting to be served or for food to arrive. Had therefore not visited for many months.
However, we decided to 'give it a go' again about 2 weeks ago. Boy are we glad that we did! They have REALLY upped their game. We were so impressed that we then returned again on Saturday last to celebrate my husband's birthday with some family members. We cannot express what a wonderful evening we had. It was just fabulous from start to finish. We had reserved a table for 6 earlier in the day by phone. The lady that I spoke to on the phone was very pleasant and cheery. We were there from 7.30pm and the place was full. No problem being served, staff extremely friendly and attentive and very professional. Nothing was a bother. They literally bent over backwards.
The food was amazing! All of our party was raving about it. I had the Courgette Risotto for main - beautiful and a very generous portion and all for the remarkable price of €10.95! Everything that came out to the table looked, smelt and tasted delicious. Presentation A1. They also have a new lovely touch of, after taking your order, providing the customer with a complimentary selection of homemade breads as an appetiser (4 varieties to choose from, such as cheese & chive, pecan, olive, brown) and serving 2 slices of your selection to your side plate from a large platter. I actually asked if I could have one slice of one kind and one of another, which I received without question. They serve the bread with a little trio selection of butter, flavoured oil and what I think was a red pesto. Delicious and such a nice and classy touch. They seem to vary the bread selection too as the last time we were there were 2 different breads - tomato as well as a garlic one).
Given it was my husband's birthday a member of our party had brought a cake and candles with them and without our knowledge had given to staff to present to him later on. Shortly after we had finished the main course, the cake was brought out after the 'go ahead wink' from that same party member. A few of the staff members gathered around and sang "happy birthday"! Husband was mortified, but in a good way!
We were then asked if we would like to see a dessert menu or if we would like the cake instead. We decided to just have the cake. So they brought the cake back into the kitchen and cut it up, and then plated it up decorating each plate with a piped portion of cream and a strawberry on the side! Also, a bottle of sparkling wine appeared (& champagne glasses with a slice of strawberry in each) and the girl serving it told us that is was "compliments of the hotel" (because of the birthday). We were really impressed with all of these lovely and generous touches. Simple but thoughtful ideas, and made everything all the more special and we really felt like we were looked after in such a very good way. Top marks!
Lastly my husband and myself stayed on for a couple of drinks after the rest of the party left. Given we are relatively new to the area (moved there last year) and given this was our first 'proper' night out in the town, with neither of us being the designated driver, we realised that we hadn't got a number for a taxi. So we were talking to one of the staff, asked if she by chance she would have a number. She went off and reappeared about 5 minutes later with a sheet of paper with 3 different numbers on it and advised us which one we would be most likely to get. It was very good of her and we really appreciated it.
All in all, we'd give the entire experience a 5+ star! We'll most definitely be back. The sooner the better!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Called by the Riverfront last evening. While waiting, having ordered, the staff brought a selection of breads to the table. We were offered one slice of bread each from the selection. A little stingey I thought, but it was nice. Had then had the special on offer "Chicken Supreme". It came out piping hot & freshly cooked. The Risotto rice and chicken were done to perfection. We also had baby noiled potatoes. As we still had a drive ahead of us , we settled for stilll water to wash it down. The bill came to 27 Euros. Not bad for an evening meal. The toilets were clean & the staff pretty good too. We will be back, but expect two slices of bread on the next run.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Visit here quite often. Food is always good, love the chicken gougons and steak sandwiches. They offer a lovely selection of breads to start with now which is nice. Place was renovated recently and I think standard of food has upped since then. Staff are great here, sooo friendly and helpful and a lot of the girls have been there a long time which I think is a sign that management are good to their staff therefore happy staff lead to happy clients. Keep up the good work!!