“Great welcome and the food was a work of art”

St Kyrans Country House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Virginia B&B and Inns
Waterford, Ireland
“Great welcome and the food was a work of art”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I liked the fact that the owner was waiting at the door for me when I arrived. My brother had googled places to stay in Virginia and telephoned to say I was on the way. Even though the kitchen was finished for the night the sandwich that I received was a work of art. I am only sorry I didn't take a photo of the plate. The bedroom was beautiful and the view of the lake when I pulled the curtins in the morning was fantastic.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Maitland, NSW Australia
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed on night whilst rambling around Ireland. Picked this place at random mostly based on Trip Advisor reviews. Was not disappointed. Accommodation was first class with great views over the lake. The evening meal at the restaurant was better than the accommodation. Well no it wasn't, yes it was. Both were perfect. Not very often do you get a five star B & B with a five star restaurant. Breakfast was also superb.

Do yourself a favour, make the journey to experience this great B & B

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Recently stayed here on a stopover trip for work. I had read all the great reviews here on Tripadvisor so was sure it was going to be good. When we pulled up to the building I did think we had come to the wrong place as it looks like a house rather than a hotel/guesthouse but once we stepped in the door everything was great from start to finish. The owners were so friendly and welcoming. The place is decorated beautifully with great views of the lake. The rooms were spacious, very comfortable, very spotless and nothing was forgotten down to the chocolate left on the tray to accompany your tea. Unfortunately the restaurant was not open when we were there but I can imagine the food would be lovely. Breakfast was lovely and it was so relaxing looking out onto the lake. At the night time there was no one really around which was fine as we sat in the comfy chairs just past the reception area for a nightcap. Although there may not be a huge amount in Virginia, we had a lovely dinner at a place down the road and this place is great if you wanted a quiet night away and at such a great price. After staying in lots of hotels for work I would highly recommend St.Kyran's.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
celbridge
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had lunch there on 6th April 2013 and must say it was excellent and well above my expectations. Myself and my wife really appreciated the hospitality and warm welcome. Will definitely be back for dinner by the lake as the views are beautiful with a setting sun. Wally and Finola, Kildare

Room Tip: Get a table by the window for the views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed in St Kyrans last weekend and had an amazing time. Wished we stayed 2 nights instead of the one. From the minute you step into the building you were treated with top customer service. Very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were huge and the view of the lake was amazing. It really was a break away from the world. The rooms were very clean. There was a large TV and a recorder. There was lots of DVDs in reception to choose from. Went had dinner in the restaurant and again it was top notch. Great service and lots of choice on the menu. The food very very good. Breakfast the next morning was great also. It was a beautiful morning and so relaxing to seat by the window and admire the lakeside view. I really can't recommend St Kyrans enough. I've already been recommeding it to my friends and family. I'd def stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This place is outstanding, we were really thoroughly impressed by the size of the room and its chic decoration, the lovely view of the lake, the amazingly nice and pro staff, the high quality of the food & presentation at the restaurant (no need to wait ages to go to check Neven's cuisine out, this one is stunning :-D ). Actually there are 2 things that are worth a lengthier description : One is the dinner experience : if you wish so, you can sit at the lounge to enjoy pre dinner drinks and browse at the menu, and sat at the dinner table when ready. That's a lovely concept I found. Between lunch & dinner, I tried the thai chicken (yummy) the venison (amazing sauce and accompanying bits, just not my type of meat) and the seabass & scallops (outstanding, so light...) and I was told the beef & guinness was really good too. I would recommend side dishes with these. Dessert-wise : oh my goodness ! I tried the earl grey infused chocolate mouse and the Tatin tarte...out of this world.
The 2nd highlight was...the quality of the bed. So soft we checked the name of the mattress and decided to go and get higher quality cotton sheets for home :-D We slept really well and woke up happy.
Its a humble country house that kept surprising us.
Patrick also gave us lots of tips about local walks, plenty of lovely spots at short driving distance. Do not expect to be able to walk anywhere near the house though : there's no path to the surrounding lake and the 100km/h road with no footpath aren't pedestrian-friendly. Still, 5min drive to Virginia and you have a wood- lake loop walk sorted.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sylvie C
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I dined here for lunch on Sat with my mum and my sister. They gave us such a warm welcome and we were looked after well. We sat at a beautiful window seat and the views are magnificent. The lunch menu is varied and has lots of choices. I choose duck for starter and cod for my main. It was delicious but the food is quite rich which I'm probably not used to. They have an excellent wine list too so we choose a beautiful bottle of Pinot. Overall it was a beautiful afternoon and I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Virginia
Lakeside Manor Hotel
Oldcastle House Hotel
Oldcastle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oldcastle
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort

Been to St Kyrans Country House & Restaurant? Share your experiences!