“One of those special places”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masaya
La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Masaya
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn
“One of those special places”
Reviewed January 15, 2010

La Mariposa is simple one of those special places. By which I mean it's far and away more than the sum of its parts. My husband and I scheduled a week to further our (pretty skimpy) knowledge of Spanish. We did that, in spades. Our teachers patiently took us a solid stage ahead of where we'd been and by the end of our five day stint we considered them not only teachers, but friends. I guess that's what makes the place memorable. You feel as though everyone -- from Paulette, who has masterminded and created this inn/school, to the teachers, cooks, fellow travellers and even the many rescue dogs -- they all seem to take a real and personal interest in your well being! We didn't feel like tourists as much as guests. By day three, we were asking whether we could extend our stay. Our trips -- by foot, horse, and van -- into the barrios and farms of San Juan del Concepcion brought us into the lives of the local Nicaraguan farmer and artisan. We came away with a deeper understanding of the problems facing the country and generous spirit of the NIcaragua people.

I'm a nature lover and I was delighted to find that there were plenty of opportunities for hiking and exploration of the breathtaking Nicaraguan landscape. Among all the other memories, there's the sweeping vista across the plains to the lakes and volcanos of the Masayan region, taken in from the top of a ridge we horsebacked out to one afternoon.

And, oh, the food -- it was sublime. Several different veggie dishes per meal, lots of fresh fruit . Even my meat-eating husband was satisfied (esp when everyone went out to the local bar for roasted pig. Don't ask me about it. I wasn't there, but Al came back with a big grin.)

The grounds are delightful -- even surprising -- places for wandering. Local artistry and comfy hammocks fills the nooks and crannies of the open air classrooms and sitting areas and you can have meaningful exchanges with the monkeys and parrots who have their own rooms in the far end of the garden. I came out late one night among the lush plantings just to gaze at the stars. It's that kind of place. You're at home in foreign land.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
USA
Reviewed January 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Mariposa for one week during our month-long trip to Nicaragua, and both of us were amazed at the quality of ourexperience. The hotel itself had everything we could hope for- hammocks and quiet reading areas, a fully stocked library, clean, comfortable rooms with hot water, lovely grounds. The animals are all friendly and I loved being able to play with the monkeys! The food was healthy and tasty, and the afternoon excursions all worthwhile.

The Spanish classes are unbeatable in terms of substance and price. We had one on one instruction for four hours a day! The teachers must accomodate a wide variety of language ability, particularly well demonstrated by the fact that I am fluent in Spanish and my boyfriend knew essentially nothing beyong bar terminology. While my boyfriend received a crash course in Spanish basics, I studied the nuances of "por y para" and reviewed complex grammar. Our teachers were energetic, friendly, patient, and pushed us when needed.

I wholeheartedly recommend Mariposa as a wonderful place to learn Spanish or just stay for a few nights. In fact, my boyfriend is considering returning to study Spanish for a month.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Panama
Reviewed January 13, 2010

A rustic Spanish language school with compassionate and dedicated owner and instructors. They want you to understand and appreciate the reality of Nicaragua. The tours were wonderful - especially the local tours to the real families and artisans who are working to make a living. Amazing effort to reclaim water, grow vegetables, and run a sustainable, environmentally friendly operation.

Additional arrangements are available. I especially enjoyed visiting the club in Managua, owned by the brothers Carlos and Luis Enrique Mejia Godoy. Luis Enrique is an amazing folk singer.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Montreal
Reviewed January 7, 2010

After attending a wedding on Ometepe Island, I had four days on my own to discover as much as possible. La Mariposa offered just the right combination of linguistic and cultural support I needed and it ended up being the perfect place for me to unwind, learn, and grow. New Years Eve was a blast dancing with my fellow guests and locals of La Concha. If I come back to Nicaragua, I would definitely like to stay at La Mariposa for longer. The daytrips were lots of fun and very informative and the property's dogs and monkeys are all very friendly. I recommend this place to anyone looking to experience the real Nicaragua.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed December 21, 2009

I stayed at La Mariposa for 4 weeks in November 2009. I went to study Spanish with no prior knowledge of the language. I learned much more than Spanish. I learned how one person, with the help of other committed individuals, can improve the lives of disadvantaged people and have a good time doing it.

Staying at La Mariposa you quickly become part of a wonderful extended family. The staff is warm and friendly and will do everything they can to make you feel welcome. The language instruction is highly individualized. The teachers made learning Spanish fun. The daily and weekend activities provided insight into life in Nicaragua that you could never get as a "tourist."

The surrounding area was breathtaking--volcanos, crater lakes, Pacific beaches, small villages, open air markets, and artisans. The food was basic, but delicious. The communal dining allowed you to get to know the other diverse and interesting guests.

La Mariposa changed the way I view the world and taught me Spanish, too. I wish I could have stayed longer. I hope to go back. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 16, 2009

La Mariposa is a happy, inspiring, accepting little haven, I will be recommending it to all of my fellow travelling friends. Practicing my Spanish while learning about different peoples' backgrounds and cultures is just wonderful, AND the staff is great at speaking slowly and being patient and encouraging through it all. My boyfriend and i spent a week here, and will definitely treasure the memories.

Ever since I was recommended this place, I have been pouring over the website to learn more about the programs they fund and how much they help the local community. Being here, I have gotten to see the positive impact first hand........its great! I had also been very excited for the spanish lessons and local activities, both of which were wonderful and lived up to my high expectations. We went on a beautiful horseback ride, explored a bustling local market, had a relaxed, sunny beach day, and Paulette gave a wonderful tour of the property/gardens. All of these were unique, fun experiences where I felt welcome and encouraged to learn/ask questions. Even with all of these activities, my favorite memories will be talking with the staff , teachers and fellow visitors here. La Mariposa has attracted a such a WONDERFUL group of people, I am so thankful to have been a part of it all.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Davis, California
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Our family of five was just looking for a place to stay for a few days, but wow did we stumble onto to something wonderful at the Mariposa Language School and Eco-Hotel. In less than a day, we were sitting in on excellent Spanish lessons, riding horses to the rim of the Masaya volcano, visiting a national park, reading about Latin American history in the library, enjoying the monkeys and parrots in the aviaries, and riding along with the staff to buy food at the market. Paulette, the owner, was like a gracious mother to us, and we were part of her family. If we return to Nicaragua, we'll definitely come here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masaya
Madera's Inn
#3 of 43 in Granada
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
#1 of 4 in Isletas de Granada

Been to La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel? Share your experiences!