“Great ecolodge and spanish school in rural Nicaragua” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masaya
La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Masaya
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Coos Bay
“Great ecolodge and spanish school in rural Nicaragua”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2009

I stayed at La Mariposa for one month and would recommend it highly. La Mariposa is a wonderfully designed ecolodge in a beautiful setting. The staff is exceptionally friendly and caring, the rooms are beautiful and clean (loved the hot showers!). And the food is great, a varied mostly vegetarian menu. I'm not a vegetarian, but I was very happy with the food. As a female traveling alone, I felt very secure here. I had a great experience with the spanish lessons and had a lot of fun going out birding in the path behind the hotel. Kudos to this socially responsible place!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

I have just returned from a wonderful month at La Mariposa (December 2008, January 2009).

Here are my thoughts:

*Rooms: Comfortable, clean, and cool even on warm days.
*Service: Staff are friendly, helpful, and a pleasure to get to know.
*Food: Excellent!!! I’m vegetarian, so it was perfect for me, but great for meat eaters, too.
*Spanish Classes: Enjoyable and informative – I learned a lot.
*Trips: Amazing!!! Volcanoes, beaches, Granada, Leon, Masaya, wildlife outings, shopping, farm visits, museums, and so much more
*Atmosphere: Hanging out with other guests, staff, Paulette (owner), and Guillermina (Paulette’s daughter) was a lot of fun!
*Location: Perfect! Close to Managua, but far enough to be completely different (much better) and much cooler.

Tips:

*Book early. The hotel was full the entire month I was there. If they are full, ask about a home stay. Several people did those while I was there and loved them.
*Wireless Internet access is available outside the rooms on the second floor, but if you aren’t going to be using it a lot, just walk to Cyber Carmen in San Juan – walk takes less than 10 minutes and cost is very cheap.
*Cyber Carmen has a telephone that allows you to call the U.S. for 1 Cordoba per minute (about 5 U.S. cents) and Europe for approximately 2.5 Cordobas per minute.
*Microbuses are plentiful and cheap – you can get anywhere from La Mariposa quite easily.
*Mototaxis are very inexpensive and are great when you don’t feel like walking.
*Don’t bring shampoo or soap. They provide special organic shampoo and soap.
*Even though you may read that almost no ATMs in Nicaragua take MasterCard cards, mine worked every time.
*There is a great library there, so you don’t need to bring a lot of books to read.
*Beer is around $1 U.S. everywhere.
*Haircuts are about $1, as well.
*Good rum is about $5-$7 for 750ml (4-7 years), great rum is about $14 for 1750ml (12 years).
*If you are bringing back rum, buy it in the airport. It is cheap enough and they box it well for you so that it won’t break and you can easily get it through customs.
*Spend as much time as you can at La Mariposa. You’ll have a great home base, learn a lot of Spanish, eat great food, and meet wonderful people, not to mention take some very cool trips.

Thanks to all who made my stay at La Mariposa so memorable. I’ll return soon!

• Liked — The wonderful owner, her daughter, the staff, and the great people I met.
  • Disliked — Loved everything!!!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank CharlieChiWeenie
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

I stayed in La Mariposa for more than two month these year. ( from March to end of May). I came to Nicaragua with a dream "Learn Spanish". Truly I was beginner. After those two month I could say "Mission completed". Thanks to all professors in La Mariposa who have passion and patience with their students. They are real professionals. During my stay I had classes with all of them. Afternoon activities are real activities. Where you can learn a lot about everyday life in Nicaragua from all kinds of aspects.If you want you can participate on project which the owner is organizing for local community. I worked as helper in local elementary school "Escuela Panama". Best experience ever!!!.
Hotel is located in beautiful area close to volcano Masaya with excellent views marvelous garden full of tropical birds. Owner is very honest lady. Everything what she put on website is 100% true. Staff is very friendly. You can practise your spanish with them all the time. You will learn much more from them about Nicaragua as from books.
Rooms are great very clean, hot water all the time!!! and food is very dellicious.
I felt there as at home away from home.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank gromisch
Goteborg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

I think I will remeber my stay at the La Mariposa for the rest of my life, for many reasons. This probably the best spanishschool and hotel in Nicaragua because it has everything. It is situated far away from the "backpackers-track"(so you will not meet no other tourist in the charming little village San Juan de la Concha than the ones that are staying in La Mariposa)in a beautiful surroundings with hills and trees. When you stay at the hotel it feels like you are a big family that does everything together and that is such a nice feeling. You do different kinds of interesting and wonderful activites during the afternoon together such as visiting families that makes artcraft or you go to the beautiful laguna de apuyo(and lots of more activities). If you want to learn spanish you have a great oppotunity to do it at the hotel because it is also a spanish school. The teachers are great!!!! I had almost everyone of them (because I stayed there for almost 2 months) and they were all really, really good. When I came to Nicaragua I almost didn´t speak any spanish at all but during 2 months of hard working in the school I felt that I could understand really good and have a light conversation.
The rooms are really nice, clean and comfortable. And the food. Oh my good the food...it, is so good. You get three meals a day, that you eat together with the group. And it is fresh friut and homemaid youghurt and granola, all kinds of nice vegetables, gratains, puddings...
And the best thing is that the staff is so wonderful (the teachers, the workers and the owner Paulette).
I just have to say that it is a waist of money to not go La Mariposa, because you will have the time of your life!!!

• Liked — the people and the sorroundings
  • Disliked — I don´t have anything to complain about
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Emmavu
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

My husband and I stayed at La Mariposa for only a week, and I was incredibly sad to leave such a nurturing, familial learning environment. I had one-on-one Spanish language instruction for 4 hours every morning with great teachers, yet practiced my Spanish throughout the day as every employee is a teacher for the guests. To know the staff, meet their families and interact with the local community was a powerful travel experience that personalized and contextualized my entire trip to Nicaragua. On a practical note, the rooms are clean, the meals are delicious and plentiful, and the activities added value to the entire experience. I can't wait to return to this model for tourism in Nicaragua and asset to the local community.

• Liked — The staff, animals, grounds and vision of the school
  • Disliked — Loved everything!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blueridgemtn
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2008

I stayed at La Mariposa for two weeks in May, and my only complaint is the brief duration of my stay. In a nutshell, La Mariposa delivers precisely what it offers, so know what that offer entails before heading down there. To do so, visit the school’s website (spanishschoolnica.com), and make sure you read the pages titled “Please come stay if…” and “Please do not come stay if…” I have a feeling that the authors of the only negative reviews on Tripadvisor satisfy a number of the criteria on the “Please do not come stay” page.

As far as I’m concerned, the school gave me the best Spanish instruction I’ve had, the staff (and owner) are wonderful people, and any failure to engage with the “real” Nicaragua is the fault of the visitor rather than La Mariposa. In the last five years I’ve studied Spanish at the University of Colorado; Antigua, Guatemala; various parts of Colombia; and La Mariposa. Every instructor I had at La Mariposa was as good or better than any of my previous teachers. I must also note that my learning experience included fairly long chats with various members of the hotel staff, all of whom were more than happy to enlighten me regarding Nicaraguan politics, history, music, society, etc. We also discussed our respective personal lives quite a bit, and I never heard the faintest hint that anyone was terrorized by the owner. In fact, each employee I spoke with holds her in the highest regard and I know for a fact she feels the same about them. In the only instance of disagreement between staff and owner that I witnessed, the issue was handled in a perfectly respectable manner. The notion that the owner terrorizes the employees is absurd. I truly think most of them would be personally offended by Jeffgayguy’s review.

I have no idea what the “real” Nicaragua is supposed to be, but students and guests are perfectly free to venture out into the country anytime they please. I’m fairly shy, but during my stay I had a number of conversations with students in the nearby high school, briefly played basketball with some guys I met sitting in an alley, read a seven-year-old’s written summary of his morning routine as he explained the accompanying pictures, got teased by young girls in the market, received a social studies lesson from the local doctor’s son, helped the doctor with his English homework, and danced with a few hundred ‘real’ Nicaraguans at a local fiesta. If none of that qualifies as the ‘real’ Nicaragua I’m curious indeed about whatever I missed…

Bottom line: La Mariposa intentionally offers an experience very different from the typical hotel or Spanish school, and I heartily recommend it for anyone seeking such an experience.

• Liked — The unique experience.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank WPM7766
Faversham Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2008

I am very puzzled by the review posted by Jeffgayguy. I stayed at La Mariposa for the whole of February 2008, my second visit there and I have booked for 2 months next year taking a group of 6 friends who have decided to travel from the UK because of my enthusiasm for this very special place. I am a middle aged woman used to far too much comfort and luxury and the accomodation and food are simple but excellent including for example every room having an en suite and constant solar heated hot water. The staff of the hotel both teaching and catering are charming, friendly and say things like "Paulette has confidence in me" which scarcely indicates fear. The location is beautiful and gives a real opportunity to be part of a living Nicaraguan rural poor community in a way that is not yet over run or exploited by tourism. For young travellers it gives a safe space to learn Spanish and explore travelling and for older people like me it is an inspirational example of how it is still possible to make a worthwhile difference in a often depressing and materialistic world. Whilst I was there I read the visitors book from cover to cover and tthe only negative feedback in 18 months was from someone who likes to eat meat with every meal.

• Liked — Very comfortable and locally made using local materials from sustainable sources
  • Disliked — Nothing to put
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Labiner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masaya
Madera's Inn
#1 of 43 in Granada
Hotel con Corazon
Hotel con Corazon
#2 of 43 in Granada

Been to La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel? Share your experiences!