“What an experience!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masaya
La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Masaya
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Leon, Nicaragua
“What an experience!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I visited the mariposa this winter for three weeks, to learn spanish and immerse myself in the culture of Nicaragua. I am so happy I selected this business to support and spend time at, Paulette has created such a fantastic place! The Mariposa is a place where students learn, make friendships, and grow. During my time volunteering with the animals, and also in the kitchen, I made close connections with some amazing Nicaraguan people, and practiced my spanish. The community that centres around, and flocks to, the mariposa is such a group of fantastic people. It was a pleasure to spend time there, I wish I had longer to stay! The food was amazing, the library of books was a treat to explore, and living in the cabaña was a very fun experience. I can't recommend this business enough. Learning spanish in a smaller town in Nicaragua was such an immersive and fantastic experience. It's also amazing knowing that your money is going to support a community, as the mariposa is the largest employer in San Juan. Thank you Paulette, see you again some day! xx

Room Tip: I stayed in the cabaña and loved it, for a rustic experience.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ksaquilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
OR
Reviewed December 31, 2013

What a fabulous way to learn about the culture, people, beautiful natural wonders, and language of Nicaragua. Although I chose to stay with a local non-English speaking family (arranged by La Mariposa), between the meals, language classes and activities, I spent a great deal of time at the hotel. The one-on-one language classes are terrific; obviously tailored to each student's specific needs, extremely professional, friendly, proficient teachers, beautiful outdoor classrooms tucked away in "hiding places" in the shady, tropical property of La Mariposa. As a volunteer with one of the many local projects, I was able to use my Spanish throughout the day, AND learn about organic gardening. From the employees who tend to the many rescued animals, to those that I worked with on the farm, to the drivers who transport students to activities, to the gracious and accomodating kitchen staff, to the owner, Paulette, and her dtr, everyone at this place goes out of their way to make you feel welcomed. Such a relaxing and inviting atmosphere, out of this world food, and warm, kind people. What is there not to like about this place? (Oh, and you get to meet some pretty cool students and fellow-travelers, as well).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank PDXORgal
Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I have been at La Mariposa two times - in 2010 alone, mostly to improve my Spanish skills and in 2013 again with a group of 15 geography students from Leipzig.
I’m sure anyone who has been here once will probably forever remember La Mariposa. Right in the moment you arrive you can feel that this place is exactly the one to discover Nicaragua that in general offers a great travel experience and carries a lot of positive energy. The owner Paulette impresses with all the work she has done and still plans to do in the future and all the stuff around her and the interns are really passionate and lovely, too and try to give deep insights into their work whenever it is possible, so that you can understand the mentality and things that happen in the country a lot better.
The mostly “one by one” Spanish classes are excellent and apart from that you will always find an opportunity to practice and get in touch more, if you like to. Especially through all the options of volunteering you can become a true little part of Nicaragua and improve your skills apart from learning just a language.
For groups to stay at the new “Study Center” is a perfect option. Up to 16 people can be accommodated, including a full-day care by volunteers with an individually knitted program, suitable to the focus of the group. You can educate yourself/your group in history and actual political problems of the country or learn more about agriculture practices and medical plants, help out with teaching kids, in the community garden (…) and – as I think the most important thing – you will get the chance to understand a little more about how the world is connected, about what is going wrong and what real concerns exist. You get the chance to see yourself or your nation from another point of view and to start thinking your everyday “business as usual” through…. Well… and after you have finished a day full of (super well organized!) trips and work experience, you can enjoy the unique view on the Masaya volcano from the Study Center and relax, while the impressions of the day pass on by.
Only a few minutes’ walk from the Study Center you can find a small family-run kiosk, in case you need something - but you won’t need much, because the kitchen is incredibly good and you can enjoy wonderful, mostly vegetarian meals three times a day. At this point – also in the name of my group – I would like to say a big, big THANK YOU for the great service provided during our stay. Everything went on just perfectly and especially our “personal intern” Ruth did a really great job!
To relax on a Sunday morning the best is to join a wonderful ride on one of the horses that have been rescued. Apart from that a bunch of happy dogs will always be around you and even former wild animals, like little white-face monkeys receive their charity here…
And the VERY, VERY BEST of the whole La Mariposa Concept is that not only visitors, but ESPECIALLY THE LOCALS benefit from this comprehensive project through jobs, environmental education and, and, and…..
In the end, no matter whether you travel alone, with a friend or a study-group, for sure you can’t do anything wrong while visiting La Mariposa! It is a great mixture of learning, experience and enjoying! I wish Paulette and everybody who gives energy for this unique project all the best for the future… hasta la vista* Jessica

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 705JessicaS
Sweden
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family visited La Mariposa in 2008 and came back in 2010 and 2012. It is very friendly and a good place to visit with kids. Paulette, her staff and the spanish teachers all made us feel very welcome. We will definitly come back again!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I love this place... I carefully read La mariposa's website and the more I read the more I knew it would be the perfect place for me to start my visit to Nicaragua. My children are all attending university and my husband was too busy at work to travel with me so I was on my own.
La Mariposa is the perfect place for someone travelling on their own. I felt relieved the minute I saw Oscar outside the Managua airport late at night holding the La Mariposa sign and waiting to drive me to the school. All the staff were friendly and inviting. I enjoyed the diverse collection of animals that live at the school. They all love attention but they will also leave you alone if you are busy. I didn't find them to be very noisy and I think it was quieter at La Mariposa then a lot of other places I have travelled. The food was fresh, local and mostly vegetarian. It was delicious!
The school had a nice selection of optional activities during my visit. I signed up for everything as my time was limited. I went horseback riding, visited the Masaya Volcano at night, toured the some of the Pueblo Blancos and had dinner overlooking the Laguna Apoyo, joined a walk to different artisans in San Juan, drank beer at a neighborhood pub in La Concha, read stories to children at the reading corner, toured the community vegetable gardens and much more.
This was my third experience with spanish immersion classes as I have studied in Antigua Guatemala and Merida Mexico also. I felt that the school was well organised and that the teachers were professional yet friendly. The school does a very good job in determining your spanish level and then coming up with a plan to build on your knowledge. I learned a lot about the history of Nicaragua, the economy, education and health systems and had interesting discussions with my teachers about their experiences living in Nicaragua. I spent most of my time practising the subjunctive mood and I feel that my spanish is improving.
The wi-fi worked well. There were lots of workbooks, spanish books and english books to borrow in the student lounge area. Even thought the water is solar heated I had a nice warm shower every morning. There were very few bugs around when I visited and this was at the end of the rainy season. My ground floor room was a bit damp but that is to be expected when you are staying in the jungle in November.
Paulette is a friendly , approachable woman. What she has set up here amazes me. She has worked incredibly hard to ensure that La Mariposa adds to the community around it. I felt confident that the money I spent for my stay and on my outings into the community was spread around and that it benefitted many people.
One of the best things about this place were the people I met. The three interns (Amanda, Diede and Ruth) were very welcoming and helpful. The others travellers were interesting and engaging individuals as were the interns :) . I really enjoyed learning about them and their travels. I wish I could have stayed longer and I intend to return here in the near future. During the week I was there I met three people who had been at the school previously and returned for another stay. I think this says a lot about the quality of the experience here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank passionfortravel9
paulettelamariposa, Owner at La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you so much for this very comprehensive review. As you point out we get many return visitors who want to continue improving their Spanish and we certainly hope you will be one of them in the future!!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I could not have properly prepared for the full immersion learning experience of language, social issues, and Nicaragua geography that is La Mariposa. The homestay and volunteer opportunities were equally if not more valuable than the custom-paced, fun Spanish lessons. The animal sanctuary, relaxing forest canopy, and delicious warm food at the hotel provide a comfortable space to reflect on your transition into a developing country. The staff are glad to help with travel ideas and encourage you to consider environmental and socially just decisions. I arrived to Nicaragua with very little Spanish skills and after two weeks I felt confident in my ability to live and communicate independently in a rural part of the country for four months. Unlike many expat businesses in Nicaragua, your money is well spent at La Mariposa. It visibly supports sustainable and just development in the surrounding communities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
I am so glad that your time at the Mariposa helped with your longer term stay in rural Nicaragua. Such adventures can, at least initially, be daunting! Thank you especially for your comment " The homestay and volunteer opportunities were equally if not more valuable than the custom-paced, fun Spanish lessons." There is no doubt that living out in the community with a family and volunteering is a great experience for further exploration of Nicaragua as well as of course helping enormously with Spanish!
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I am originally from the U.S. but presently living in Costa Rica. My spanish was extremely week(previous experience was High school and college 35+ years ago) and needs a lot of work. I stayed one month at the school and after a month I feel like I have an excellent base to start working from and feel much more confident using the language. Teachers and staff were excellent and extremely professional. The one on one approach was great for me because I could pick my pace and was able to work on the areas I felt were most beneficial. I met people from all over the world and the daily activities the school provided gave me an opportunity to see some of the country and experience the culture. In addition, I was introduced to a number projects taking place for the local community(building community centers, helping with schools, supporting and paying the workers at the local bakery, providing wheelchairs for handicapped children etc. etc.) Accomodations at the school were good and the food was excellent.
Bottom line is this was a great life experience and worth every penny !!!!!
Rich V

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are a bit more damp but I visited during the end of the rainy season where overall...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Richard V
Rich...thank you SO much for this review. It means a lot to us to know that you learnt so much during your time with us! Stay in touch and let us know how it goes in Costa Rica, maybe see you again some day when you are up this way.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masaya
Madera's Inn
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
#2 of 4 in Isletas de Granada
Hotel y Restaurante Hacienda San Pedro

Been to La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel? Share your experiences!