“great time!”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Masaya
Boston, Massachusetts
“great time!”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I'd definitely recommend Maderas for visitors to Masaya! I was traveling with two friends so we had a three person room with its own bathroom that was quite comfortable - we sprung for the air conditioning, and I would recommend doing so. We also did some of the tours that the hotel offers - went to Laguna de Apoyo, Volcan Masaya and would have gone to the canyon if we had the time. It's family run and everyone was really welcoming and helpful!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

This is my third trip to Masaya in twelve months. This family run hotel for the money is the best I've been at in Masaya. Every effort was made to make the stay as pleasant as possible. Internet is available in the rooms. A breakfast brunch provided.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank 7695mechanic
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed here because there are good reviews, also on Lonely Planet. But the rooms upstairs are like an oven, the bathroom was really dirty and the sheets too small for the bed, But the owner is really nice and helpful. Breakfast included> coffee and cake for those who like that...........

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Madeleine V

Travelers are raving about these Masaya hotels

Amman, Jordan
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Absolutely lovely staff that were really helpful, it was really close to everything, great atmosphere. We stayed there for a week and loved it. Definitely will go back and definitely recommend it to anyone travelling in the area! Truly exceptional

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed here a couple years ago but enjoyed everything about the hotel. The view inside the hotel and out was beautiful and the service was top notch, not to mention the food was excellent. I'd recommend it to anyone visiting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed in the dorm that is located across the street of the Madera Inn Hotel. It was an open space that had no extra door to the front door or the other rooms. Luckily there was an English guy that had the bed next to mine. Already during the day, the owner (or one of the owners) was quite slimey talking of the women in the dorm as 'my muchachitas' and alike. When it came to sleeping time, the owner came over to the dorm and I asked again for the promised fan, my English neighbor already had requested repeatedly. The owner said, they have no fan, but I can sleep in a private room. The private room had a fan and I asked if it was possible to move the fan to the open space area, because my English neighbor also desperately needed the fan. No, this is not possible, was the answer. The private room was not empty and I had a strange feeling. In the meantime the owner, together with his brother (as I found out) went to the dorms patio. My English neighbor 'investigated' the situation and found out that the owner and his brother were sleeping in this 'private room'. I decided not to switch to the private room and also switched beds with my English neighbor. Since my bed was a bunk bed, I used a bed cover to hang it from the top bed to create some private space around me. About an hour later the owner and his brother went to the 'private room' and complained about where the 'chica' had gone. Examined all beds and also dared to look behind my 'curtains'. I defended myself with my walking sticks. His excuse was that we are part of a 'collectivo' and that it was his responsibility to check that no one was missing.

This is a definite NO GO and I cannot consider this place as safe for women.

Room Tip: I recommend to stay in Granada and do a day trip to Masaya.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Inge R
Maderas-Inn, Owner at Madera's Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2015
On Mar 17, 2015, at 12:05 PM Maderas_Inn wrote:

Hi Inge R,

I hope all is well.

I am writing to you in regards to the Review posted on TripAdvisor.com about Hotel Maderas Inn (Masaya, Nicaragua).

My name is Johanna Velazquez and I am the owner and Manager. I know it has been a while, but I tried contacting you via email about this incident in the past as soon as I read the review, and I'm not really sure if I had the correct address or of you ever got my message, as I never got a response.

Now, I was going through these messages and words cannot explain how I feel as I'm reading your review all over again. Our main goal is to provide a pleasant and safe stay at our hotel. A good experience for travelers to want to come back an visit us.

So first and foremost, I want to apologize for the bad experience, I am very sorry that you had to go through all that while staying at our place.

Most importantly, I want to point out and make very clear that this person you are talking about in the review is not the owner of the hotel, nor part of the staff. These 2 individuals were guests that were staying in those dorms just as you.

I really wish you would have talked to management about it at the very moment you felt something was wrong. I would have immediately taken action and would have made those people leave our premises.

I don't know if we will ever be able to make it up to you. But at least I wanted to let you know how we feel about the incident and hope you accept our apologies.

Feel free to contact us back at maderasinn@yahoo.com or my personal email velazquez.jo@gmail.com

Kind Regards,

Johanna Velazquez

=======================================================================

RE: A question regarding your review of Madera's Inn
Regarding: Masaya: Madera's Inn: WARNING for Female Travellers
From: Inge R
Status: You replied to this message at 5:30 pm, March 23, 2015

Dear Johanna,

Thank you for your e-mail and thank you for your apologizes. I met the fellow traveller who shared the bed next to mine, the person without whom I would have left your hotel in the middle of the night, a week later in Honduras and he did let me know that this creepy guy was not the owner, but a police officer who was staying in your hotel once in while.

I took him for the owner, because he acted that way and as a consequence, this was the reason why I did not talk to the management, but left as early as possible.

Thank you for taking care.

Kind regards,

Inge
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Friendly atmosphere,friendly owners and staff.I stayed here for twenty days,can,t complaint.
They tours to the Volcano in Masaya,The Laguna de Apoyo and the old Fortres El Coyotepe,
now converted into a Museum. This is an old house turned into Hotel.I recomend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masaya
Pacaya Lodge & Spa
#2 of 5 in La Laguna de Apoyo
Hotel Masaya
Hotel Masaya
#13 of 18 in Masaya

Been to Madera's Inn? Share your experiences!