“Nicaraguan dream”
Review of Hotel Casa Robleto

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masaya
Hotel Casa Robleto
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Masaya
Prague, Czech Republic
“Nicaraguan dream”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This hotel is excellent in all respects - it has a very quiet location in the middle of a colonial house with a magnificent patio. Rooms are comfortable. One feels here like in a movies from the 17th century, being served a hearty breakfast by nice ladies of the house. They help their guests with everything from tourist information to assistance in case of a medical problem. My wife got a tick in Corcovado (Costa Rica), and was attended by an experience lady of the house. On top of it , the owner consulted his friend, a medical doctor, to confirm that ticks carry no diseases in Central America. Breakfasts are really unforgettable as is the atmosphere with rocking chairs, pidgeons taking bath in a fountain. The ladies take care of any details to make their guests´ stay pleasant. As Spanish speakers, we had good talks with them and the owner. More than recommended!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank solofanua

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is exactly the place you want to find when arriving in Nicaragua. A quiet beautiful Spanish residence opening on a nice patio, with rocking chairs and nice wooden furniture, al this at a cheap price (by European standards).

Rooms are rather dark and al give out to the patio, so don't expect a view.
Breakfast is the best I got in Nicaragua.

Let me also say Masaya is a good alternative as a first stop after arriving in Managua, the very helpful owner will arrange a pick up at the airport if needed.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed February 23, 2014

These guys know how to create a good atmosphere to trigger mutual trust and talk in detail about bussiness. We had a great time meeting our partners from central America. Their little garden allow for extended talks emerging naturally in a relaxing atmosphere. I will come back with my family.

Room Tip: They have no rooms facing the street, so I belive you will have a quiet time in any of them.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
troy, MI
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed for just one night, and originally planned for two. It is a beautiful traditional and grand colonial home that was converted into a hotel/bed and breakfast. The owner lives next door, and came in to greet the guests. I don't know if he spoke English well, because we both spoke Spanish fluently. You will have to read the other reviews. The home has tall ceilings. The air conditioning appear to work well with thermostat in each room and the air coming in two ports on the ceiling. There is a ceiling fan to keep the air circulated.

One thing that could be done to serve the guests better is that the maids should be aware of mosquitos. When we came in, they had the door opened, and told me there were no mosquitos. That night, we killed 5 mosquitos, and still had one left that pestered me until it was fed. They should keep the door closed while cleaning.... Which I find is a difficult thing to convince some hotel maids to do down in central america.

They served us a nice traditional break fast with fruits, and asked if we wanted to try their traditional "tamale"... well.. really... I can't remember the name. But it was corn flour, rice, mint, pork.. wrapped in a banana leaf. It was different... as I would have eaten it for lunch, and not for breakfast. I always like to try new food... but if were offered again, would have opted for eggs and pico de gallo! When I asked for a nice restaurant that served good fried fish (NOT tilapia - from the polluted lagoon or lake)... he said we can go to the market and buy fresh red snapper (pargo) and the maid will cook it up for us - which is very nice. Fried pargo is GREAT, and I ate it 3 times here at 3 different places - and the result was excellent! From 200-300 cordobas or 8 to 12 dollars for a 1.5 to 2 lbs fish - RICOOOO.

The house is beautiful, and there were about 20 rocking chairs of different styles, a pool table, a beautiful court yard with 4 large date palms, plants, flowers, and a fountain that attracted doves, pigeons and native birds. You can tell the place is peaceful, and there were always birds at the fountain, and dove cooing above.

I would say, this place is perfect for a get away form Managua. It is about 20 minutes from Masaya volcano, and a good 1 hour volcano trip can be had from any local taxista for $20, they will wait for you at the volcano while you hike and see the 2 volcanos, and take you back home all for the 20 bucks. Another 20 bucks or less will get you to the airport or Managua, but if you want to take a cheap bus, it is a long walk to the market for the bus station.

We enjoyed the company of the two workers there. I don't think they speak English, but tried to do their best to please you. They took good care of us... but we found that speaking Spanish will always get you better service and friendlier smiles.

A tip for the owner, some Americans would enjoy shampoo. Please ask the maid to keep the door close, and the number of mosquitos down. They don't know that mosquitos do exist. Take care...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank fisherdvm
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our stay was beyond a touch of class; there were many touches of class to make us love this place.

Having traveled around Nicaragua prior to arriving, we were accustomed to the general layout of these types of homes, but this one goes beyond. As you enter the the first sala, there are wonderfully crafted chairs of hand carved wood with extraordinary caning. Family pictures are abundantly displayed providing a feeling of cozy hominess.

Beyond this room is the covered halls with an open courtyard in the center. Along one wall is a billiard table and more chairs for relaxing. Across from the courtyard are the rooms and the dining room is at the back of the building next to the kitchen.

Our room had a spectacular bed for four great nights of sleep. In the morning, we knew we were in a special place when the breakfast table was not only covered in a lace tablecloth, but the napkins were linen as well. Breakfast was immense starting with a plate of fruit and then a plate of eggs with bread and other items. It changed each day, but always plentiful.

The other thing that really sets this place apart is Frank's gentlemanly behavior. Each and every single time he came in, he greeted us by name and shook our hand; we are both men. This was very impressive in that he greeted us with sincerity, not just as a matter of form.

The staff was excellent. Our first day, one of the woman came over to move a table for me when I was sitting by the pool table, so I was not sitting in the direct sun. I was very touched by her caring nature.

I really enjoyed Masaya, but I know that a great deal of this is due to the stay here.

Room Tip: Room 2 has an over-sized king bed with plenty of pillows and still plenty of floor space beyond.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My 12-year old daughter and I stayed at Casa Robleto over Christmas 2013, and had a lovely time. The hotel is an elegant colonial home. The bedroom was a generous size, comfortable and clean. The staff were lovely and the owner, Frank, was a gracious and generous host. On Christmas Eve, when the city is quite closed up, he invited us and other hotel guests to share his traditional Nicaraguan Christmas dinner. Delicious and a rare experience! The hotel is well situated for exploring Masaya. We highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sabrina M
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was out second time here in 3 months. We came back here to stay as we were getting married in Nindiri, not too far from Masaya. My parents also stayed here and loved it as well! This bed and breakfast has amazing charm and makes you feel right at home... very cozy and comfortable. Frank and his staff are always the most accommodating and made us feel like we belonged there. Frank even came to our Wedding and had a great time.... I hope!! :)
The location is right in the center of town, 3 block front the Parque de Central, and a couple more from La Mercado.
They serve breakfast to order every morning, and if you request it, either on Friday or Saturday, he may be able to serve Nacatamale, which is simply delicious! It's a tamale wrapped in banana leaves and stuffed with pork, yuca, rice, potato, and olives.
My wife is from Nicaragua, and we will come and stay here every year until we decide to buy our own place!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gbobay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masaya
Madera's Inn
#1 of 9 in La Laguna de Apoyo
Hotel Masaya
Hotel Masaya
#13 of 18 in Masaya

Been to Hotel Casa Robleto? Share your experiences!