“Beautiful Golf Course”

River Islands Golf Club
Ranked #5 of 13 things to do in Kodak
More attraction details
Owner description: With many trees, difficult water holes, and unusual layout, this Arthur Hills-designed 18-hole golf course challenges beginners and pros alike.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have played River Islands alot over the past few years. The previous owner/staff was not pleasant to deal with and they kept me away from this course for a couple years. Since the new owner/staff has taken over the course is really a pleasure to play. The staff has been nothing but friendly to us all year.

The new greens are great but they can be very fast and dont break as much as they look. The ball rolls true and they are always in good shape. The bunker refinishing is still going on but mostly complete it seems. They also have new carts with tracking devices in them that helps with pace of play. We were out there Saturday and a Ranger came up to us and told us he asked the group ahead to speed up for us, I thought it was odd because we hadnt had to wait on them but they are really trying to focus on pace of play. I always tee off early and usually when we circle back around to 15 or so you can see the first few holes backing up...hopefully they can get this under control but the course is so scenic that it is hard for newbies not to take in the scenery.

Hole 9 does not return to the clubhouse but there is a turn shack where you can pick up some food and drink as well as use the restroom. The cart girl comes around quite often as well but she doesnt have any real food with her so make sure you pick up food at the turn if you need more than crackers. There is an additional restroom and soda machine that can be accessed from both hole 4 and hole 16. The only thing missing are water stations, if I recall they used to have these spread out at various tee boxes but I havent seen any lately. I hope they plan to bring these back considering how hot and humid it can get in the summer.

Either way, this is a great course for locals (they have a local rate) and a good deal for vacationers that are willing to make the trip from Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg when they want to mix it up from the other courses in the area.

1  Thank sparksjr

Reviewed May 26, 2013

The location, close to I-40, is ideal for folders from the Knoxville area, but for visitors staying in the Gatlinburg area, it's pretty much an hour each way. My wife and I had hope to play late afternoon, on the day of our arrival, but we were a little late getting there, and the layout, which doesn't return to the clubhouse until 18, doesn't lend itself to a "quick 9". After talking to Jerry, who was super-helpful, we decided that Wednesday, a little either side of 1pm, would be my best bet for getting out as a single and being able to not be stuck behind a bunch of groups; I played the first 12 before I caught up with other golfers, and while the last 6 were a bit slow for me, I didn't think 3:15 was too bad for 90-degree rule (my goal when playing solo is 2:15-2:30 for 18). With the river and the islands, there's some forced carries, but overall, the course was not penal. Mounding and bunkers mean that running your ball onto the green isn't usually an option (It's been a while since I'd played an Arthur Hills course, so I don't remember if this is common to his designs). I liked the greens, but continually read too much break, finding out after the round that the type of grass doesn't break as much as one might expect. Overall, just a really enjoyable round of golf.

1  Thank ClearWater62
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Friendly pro-shop staff and a course in great condition. T-times are easy to get and the course is truly a championship layout.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Plenty of landing areas, but not a course where you can completely spray the ball. Many of the holes wind along or across a river with beautiful rock-faced walls. The greens were perfect speed and the overall condition of the course was excellent. Check out deals on GolfNow. com to get better deals on green fees. I'd play this course again if I was in the area.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I really like the new Champions turf they installed, look forward to playing after they mature. I did play once in front of a women's tournament and we were rushed all day by the rangers, we had a tee time.. It pissed me off and i have not been back since.