“Perfect location to experience downtown.”
Review of The Oliver Hotel

The Oliver Hotel
Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Knoxville
Kansas City, Missouri
“Perfect location to experience downtown.”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely, newly renovated small boutique hotel. Just steps away from locally owned retail shops, restaurants and entertainment venues. The hotel decor blends the past with contemporary furnishings beautifully. Beds and linens are very nice. Coffee service is available in the lobby, offering sizeable china mugs as well as the disposable variety.
Bikes are available, valet automobile parking is $5.00 a day.
Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Sevierville, TN
Reviewed July 23, 2013

A very pleasant change from the typical downtown Knoxville hotel. Superb location right on Market Square, very friendly, helpful staff, and clean well-appointed rooms. Inexpensive parking in a nearby lot, or valet parking for $15.00. No additional Internet charge. This will be our hotel of choice next time we visit Knoxville.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
las vegas
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This hotel is so good that I am typing my review from my phone, in the bed, while I'm still staying here! I am a self professed hotel snob. If I leave my lovely home I insist on staying at excellent hotels. Very few do I walk away from and say I'd stay there again or cannot wait to return.
I called last week to book my room and got David a night auditor. He was patient in answering my many questions. When I expressed concern about not having a pool, he offered other suggestions of hotels if I didn't want to take my kids to the YWCA where they give passes to. I looked up the others and immediately called him back to book. If he was any indication of the service we would receive then this was the place for me!
The morning of my date of arrival I called at 11 to see if we could check in early. They said absolutely so we came right down. We pulled up and breathed a deep sigh of relief almost immediately. Our room (so nicely upgraded) was ready to go. We even had three people helping to check us in. The bellman with the great handlebar mustache even walked us outside to tell us a great place to grab a snack and let us leave our car out front while we walked there and back.
This evening I was having some trouble with the air so I called down. AJ answered and asked if I would mind if he came up. About a minute later someone else knocked and walked away from the door when my son couldn't open it. I thought maybe I had missed him. Instead he showed a minute later. I asked if it was him and he said no. He asked the description of the man and immediately knew who he was and that he belonged to the room next to us. As a woman who often travels alone with my kids, I can not tell you how incredible it is to stay at a place where the staff knows their guests so well. AJ quickly fixed the problem, grabbed us some ice and even a box fan for me just in case. Simply remarkable. Even my son told him that the service here is that of the Four Seasons. Don't stay anywhere else in Knoxville!
I can't wait to book here again and will ALWAYS stay at The Oliver while in Knoxville. Thank you all for an amazing experience.

• Stayed July 2013
durham, nc
Reviewed July 18, 2013

we had a very brief but wonderful stay at the oliver. tangled with some extreme weather and arrived after midnight - was greeted by a totally pleasant and helpful desk person (he valet parked the car for free since we'd had such an unintentionally eventful trip.) hit the speakeasy for a drink (a grendel - so delicious i had to have 2) and went back to the room around 2am - after the bar had quieted down, so we didn't have the noise issues some other folks have taken issue with.

the room was big and clean, and the bed was one of the most comfortable i've slept in. the shutters did an excellent job of filtering out the early morning sun without turning the room into a dark cave. the bathroom was big and well laid out, and the shower was sublime. we borrowed a couple of the hotel's new, beautifully maintained bikes and rode around town a bit before we got breakfast at pete's, down the street.

we conducted our business in town and went back to the hotel to collect our stuff and our car. the checkout staff was just as lovely as the previous night's fellow. love it. if i ever need to be in knoxville again, i look forward to staying at the oliver.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I love boutique hotels, but we did not love this one. First, the positives. The hotel has a very friendly staff; the bedding and towels are wonderful; and the bar is like something out of an old Western. However, the positives are outweighed by the negatives. The hotel is dark and the furniture is the type that one would see in a second hand furniture store. We had a suite with a living room that had NO windows and very dim lighting. It was like a cave. There is nothing charming about this hotel.

And, the hotel seems to be understaffed. The person working the front desk is also the valet parker. So, when you arrive, there may or may not be someone at the front desk. When we called down to get our car (we used the valet parking), no one was at the front desk to respond to the call. Although this is inconvenient, the more serious issue is the lack of security. Anyone can walk into the hotel and go up the stairs without being seen if no one is at the front desk.

I think that next time that we are in Knoxville, I will try one of the other downtown hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I loved The Oliver. Beyond the historic building, it has a lively speakeasy bar, a delicious cafe, and modern rooms that are amazingly quiet considering its downtown location. The beds are comfortable; the staff helpful and accommodating. I would definitely recommend a stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at the Oliver while on business in May. I wish that I had stayed here during all of my trips to Knoxville. The staff are very helpful & friendly & the rooms are beautiful & spacious. I had a suite that could easily accommodate two adults/two children if needed. The bed was very comfortable & the room was clean. The room service is provided by Tupelo Honey Café which is fabulous! If you are going to Knoxville, book early as this is a smaller boutique hotel & so worth adding into your trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo