“What a pleasant suprise after escaping Gatlinburg”
Review of The Oliver Hotel

The Oliver Hotel
Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Went whitewater rafting in Gatlinburg and found the town to be too much. Decided to escape to Knoxville for rest, relaxing, and some good food choices. Stumbled on the St. Oliver hotel and was pleasantly suprised by this great little hotel. Couldn't have asked for a better location. The front desk staff was the most pleasant and helpful of any hotel I've ever visited. Accomodating and provided some great food recommendations. Our room faced Market Square. Bed was super comfortable. Bathroom was very stylish. Shower was great. The owners did a great job with this renovation. Every person we encountered from desk staff to cleaning staff was friendly and helpful. They run a great place and the St. Oliver will provide you a memory far different than the big box hotel chains. We try to frequent locally owned businesses during our travels and the St. Oliver is a great boutique hotel in the heart of Knoxville. Give it a shot.

There are newer reviews for The Oliver Hotel

Reviewed July 4, 2011

The staff was wonderful. They were very pleasant and informative of the history of the building, as well as the city. Our room was gorgeous, spacious, and clean. The bathroom was amazing with a HUGE glass door shower. The location was wonderful with all sorts of restaurants, shops, bars and music venues all just around the corner. There were only a couple of downsides to our stay at the Oliver. The first being that the lounge wasn't quite finished yet, so we didn't get to enjoy a drink in there; however, we did get to peak at it and it looked exquisite! The only other downside was having to leave. The Oliver is a must see if staying in Knoxville and theirs rates are comparable with or in some cases less than the chain hotels (Hilton, Crowne Plaza, etc.) in the area. We just happened to wander in on our second night in town and ended up talking them down $40 on a room and ended up getting it for less than our room at the Crowne the previous night. I cannot stress enough how much of a must see this great hotel in an equally amazing town really is.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Although lacking in the eccentric charm of it's previous incarnation, The Oliver Hotel still has more personality than a chain hotel. Furthermore, the personal and enthusiastic customer service combined with the convenient location just off Market Square trump the price, which seemed a bit high ($110/night) for a queen room with basic amenities and a back alley "view" (note: the king rooms with better views go for around $250/night). The new decor was neutral and miminal (clean lines, lots of beige and grey -- peaceful, if a bit bland); the furnishings were also minimal, but very comfortable (nice bed with fluffy duvet, desk with chair -- could have used another chair); and there was plenty of natural light in the lobby, stairwell, and our room (this was a nice surprise -- made the room feel airy). There were no ice or vending machines when my husband and I stayed there, but the lovely woman at the front desk "hooked us up" with ice and sodas from nearby restaurants (that's what I meant by "excellent customer service" -- this person went well out of her way to make our stay more pleasant and comfortable).

The less appealing features of The Oliver Hotel were as follows: There seemed to be a lack of sound-proofing in the halls; we were not disturbed by other guests -- I think the hotel was fairly empty at the time -- but footsteps in the hall were rather loud and echoing. Also, the air conditioning unit was quite noisy; however, it cooled very well. And finally (a truly minor issue): The aforementioned fluffy duvet was an unforgiving stark white -- I actually worried that I'd spill something on it!

Nevertheless, we'd definitely stay here again due to the friendly, personal service and the convenient location.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I stayed at the Oliver for a one-night business trip. I had never stayed at the hotel before the renovation, so I can't say how much it has changed, but I can say that it is now a beautiful, comfortable little gem tucked away in my favorite part of Knoxville. The hotel is clearly not entirely done - while I was there, workers were still finishing up some small touches in many of the rooms, and the lounge wasn't open yet - but my room was perfect in every way. The free wi-fi was a big help, and since I was travelling on business I didn't care about the lack of a spa or a pool.

However, the best part of the hotel is their staff - the front desk folks are amazingly friendly and even called up to my room after I'd checked in just to make sure I was happy. The housekeeping staff I met were equally friendly and shared some memories of what the hotel looked like before the renovation. Clearly everyone at the Oliver is working hard to keep guests happy. I can't speak highly enough of the hotel and I will definitely stay there the next time I am in Knoxville.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2011

When we stayed the hotel it had only been reopened for about 3 weeks. I understand that it used to be a classic old style hotel. Now it is more modern but still with a classic feel. It still has a few things to complete but it is clearly ready.

The neighborhood is great and very near UT.

The rate was quite reasonable and the entire staff was great.

I’d go back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed June 15, 2011

Loved this renovated old historic bakery site! Rooms are well-appointed and spacious. When the bar opens, it will be a speakeasy throwback to the 1920's. The surroundings are luxurious and the staff are wonderful! Located right on the Market Square in Knoxville amid many restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I'm a huge fan of big cities and the boutique hotels in great neighborhoods that go with it. The Oliver Hotel at Market Square in Knoxville brought that experience to me. Once checked in to our stylish and comfortable room we enjoyed the bars and restaurants that Downtown Knoxville had to offer. The one night we stayed we met so many locals and passer by's. As we met some new friends we took them back to the awesome lounge off the lobby of the hotel for some cold drinks and great conversations. I highly recommend this hotel when in Knoxville for business, leisure and for certain a Volunteers football game.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends