“Worst hotel experience ever”

Crowne Plaza Knoxville
Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed November 7, 2010

My girlfriend and I both agreed that this was the worst hotel experience we've ever had. The hotel is very dated, run down, and dirty. The hallways look and smell like the Marlboro Man's lungs. In the bathroom we were greeted with stained towels and curly little hairs in the shower.

The walls are so thin that we were awoken at 4 am by the adjoining room's TV. After three phone calls to the front desk with no resolution (at one point the manager said the guy wouldn't answer his phone so there was nothing he could do) I had to go to the lobby to beg them to do something. The security guy goes into the offending room and tells the guy he doesn't think the TV is too loud but "the guy in that room keeps calling."

This visit and another call to the manager still do nothing so we decide to crank the AC for some white noise to drown out the Frasier reruns. Since it was 40 degrees outside and 50 degrees in our room we were a bit chilly the next morning and decided to turn on the heat. Bad idea. Something started burning and set off our smoke detector. We remained cold.

On a positive note to the extent there is anything in Knoxville to be close to (there's not) the hotel is a good location.

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank NorCal99

Reviewed October 23, 2010

When we checked in the room, the first thing we noticed is that it smelled like urine! When we called the front desk, they said they didn't have any other room to check us into and would send someone in to clean and deoderize it. I don't know what was worse, the smell of urine or the "deoderizer." Then, I opened the drapes on the window only to find 4 bugs crawling all over them! Don't let the nice looking lobby fool you; the rooms are outdated, unsanitary, and the staff did nothing to help! SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The only reason this hotel could stay in business is the location near Market Square and Gay Street. The rooms are outdated, beds uncomfortable, bathrooms tiny, and worst of all -- dirty. The food at Mahogany restaurant is marginal and I found hair in both my breakfast fruit and my omelet! We were supposed to stay two nights but left after the hair in the food experience. Our room was advertised as a king suite on the club floor when it was really just a plain room with a king bed.
Do not make the mistake we did. Stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Got in really late and needed a couple of things to get everyone settled. The staff was all over it and made the stay a great one. Next morning we picked up some coffee in the lobby and again the staff was extraordinary. Really enjoyed it. I'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We visited Knoxville this past weekend to see friends and spend some time on the town. We normally stay at the Crowne Plaza when we come into town but we think the service and quality needs to change before we would reserve this hotel again.
Pros:
1. Location: Close to everything
2. Gym: One of the best I've seen at a hotel with cardio upstairs and a full strength training gym downstairs.
3. Rate: we got a very good rate of $104 but really for this visit I would say we paid way too much.

Cons:
1. Service: Horrible service. I wouldn't say this if it was just one area that was bad...no several. Examples are below
2. Bedding: Our mattress must have been old as it felt like we were sleeping in a bowl...you know lay on one side but roll to the middle. They give you 4 pillows none of which were comfortable and are the smallest pillows we have slept on before.

A Few things that happened during our short 2 night visit. The first night we were there we called to the front desk and asked for a blanket (housekeeping phone was never answered) and were told they would bring it right up. We never saw anyone. That next morning we woke up to back pain due to the fact our mattress was sunken in the middle. We also had a miserable sleep as the pillows were very small and very uncomfortable.
We were leaving the hotel around 10am and I stopped by the front desk to let them know about the bed and ask for the blanket. I let them know it might just be that the mattress needed to be flipped (who knows it happens) and let them know we would be leaving for the afternoon. They stated they would let housekeeping know immediately so they could check it out and see what they could do. We arrived back at the hotel at 4pm to find that housekeeping had not even been to our room to clean let alone assess the mattress they were still about 6 rooms down cleaning. We had plans to go out and wanted to come back to our room for a nap.
We decided to order room service and wait for housekeeping so we could at least get clean sheets and clean towels and hopefully a quick nap before dinner. When we found the menu for room service that matched the time we were calling we called the number on the menu. After several rings a woman answered and I let her know I wanted to order room service. She said "The restaurant is closed there is no one here you have to call the room service number." I said oh okay I called what I thought was that number but do you have the number for room service? She said "No I was just walking by and grabbed the phone sorry." So after we hung up I noticed there is a button labeled room service on the phone so I just hit that. Well the same associate answered the phone. I said I'm sorry I hit the button for room service and this is that number. She said "hold on I'll go see if anyone can help you but there is no one here so I do not know how you can get any food right now." She never came back to the phone (well if she did it was well over 10 min. After we ordered a pizza from a local pizza shop we ate and waited for housekeeping.
Housekeeping arrived at 6:00pm! I understand I really do that when they are checking guests into a room they must have to clean those rooms first but does that mean that those of us who book numerous nights at a hotel have to wait until dinner time to get towels and sheets? When they came into the room they knew nothing about our mattress (surprise) and proceeded to ask us where the blanket for our bed was. We explained that we had requested a blanket but never received one after explaining 3 times they believed us and went to find blankets. Nothing could be done about the mattress. We asked them to just leave sheets and towels and not worry about the rest we were exhausted from the night before and needed a quick nap before we headed out for the night. The towels weren't ready so around 7pm we received another knock on the door and fresh towels. No nap, a bad nights sleep the night before, two rude hotel staff situations...just too much.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellyanne
Reviewed May 21, 2010

The hotel is beautiful with true southern charm. The guest rooms were clean and roomy, had a wonderful night's sleep. The staff was gracious and accommodating from front desk, who gave incredible directions to the university, to the house keeper who brought extra towels. The gym was well equipped with a variety of aerobic and weight machines and no wait. We enjoyed a very relaxing dinner that evening overlooking the market square from the restaurant that has ceiling to floor windows, the salmon is a must. I highly recomment this hotel whether you travel on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2010

We had a shocking experience at Crown Plaza in Downtown Knoxville. My mother and I were in town to stay for 2 nights. We walked to the Old City for a lovely dinner and came back to buy a water in the gift shop before retiring to our room. Deborah, who works in the gift shop told us she was "Blessed by Jesus" when we walked in and we smiled at her, picked out our water and she rang us up.

When she gave my mom the total, my mother said "Alrighty." Deborah said, "What? I thought you would be more educated than that. That's not in the Dictionary. President Obama would never say that." We were stunned. I am so angry that someone would treat my mother that way. How dare she say anything about my mother's education or lack thereof? I expect more than that from a hotel of this caliber. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business