Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown University
  • Breakfast included
Knoxville Marriott(Knoxville)
Executive Inn(Knoxville)
View Hotel
All reviewsmarket squaregreat locationgay streetnice hotelroom serviceunderground parkingbreakfast buffetper daycovered parkingwithin walking distancethin wallsrestaurants and barsfitness centerwalk in showernight's sleepself parkingwould highly recommend this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I found the Crowne Plaza to be a great hotel. We traveled 600 miles to Knoxville for surgery for our kitten at the UT Small Animal Clinic. This hotel is pet friendly and offers a nice discount for clinic customers and that was much appreciated since we stayed 4 nights. I wanted a good fitness center and I was not disappointed. I counted 27 weight stations, not counting free weights, and 11 aerobic machines. The equipment is top-notch and the facility is spotless. There are lots of large flat-screen LG TV's, although the TV's are a little bit quirky to operate and there was one interruption of signal for a few minutes. Nonetheless, I've been to independent fitness gyms that were not as well equipped.

The room was large with a comfortable king and a recliner. I really liked the bathroom with tiled walk-in shower with a mirror for shaving in the shower. There was also an illuminated makeup mirror by the sink. The provided toiletries utilize pleasing aromatherapy. Maid service was excellent and timely.

The lobby is classy and there I always saw a bellman on duty and eager to help. Covered parking was $8/day. There are computers and printers available in the lobby and in the fully supplied business center on the 12th floor. I got friendly service in the cozy lobby bar.

There is an on-site restaurant, but we didn't use it - there are too many other great options close to the hotel. Market Square is one block away and offers a dozen trendy restaurants. We sampled 5 of them and loved each. The Old City section of town is 3 blocks away and includes restaurants, clubs, breweries, and a winery. Gay Street (I think they named it a long time ago) intersects the hotel and has 2 historic theaters, a multiplex, and lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. I gained 3 pounds on this trip. There is also a fire station 4 blocks from the hotel, but it didn't disturb my sleep. I suppose you trade a little noise for nearby security.

Every staff member seemed to make a sincere effort to please. Many times I found myself thinking, "What a nice experience!"

I've not stayed elsewhere in Knoxville. I would make an effort to return here before I tried another hotel in the area.

Room Tip: My room was on the south side. I think rooms on the north side have a better view from the upper floors.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Ken K, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown University, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you will return to Knoxville soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Nice hotel. Great location. You can walk to Market Square in less than 5 minutes. Only downside was the thin walls. We could here the rooms on both sides. Not good when you have to wake up early. However, I would stay there again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Ken K, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown University, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. I am glad your stay was an enjoyable one and hope you'll return soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have been working with the staff at The Crowne Plaza. They have gone out of their way to meet our needs. Preparing for our daughter's wedding they have been their every step of the way. It has been a very pleasant experience. Can't wait for our out of town guests to see their beautiful accomodations. I'm thrilled to have them stay in such an eloquent atmosphere and a convenient downtown location.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Knoxville. We are looking forward to hosting your guests.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed here with our two small dogs for two nights over Presidents Day weekend, and cannot say enough about the place. The place was immaculate, from the smallest detail in the room, to the elevators, to the stairwells. We were served by awesome wait staff Amy and Anthony in the Mahogany restaurant, as well as enjoying room service. Food was hot, tasty and our servers made you feel like you were the only diners in the room. Thoughtful details like the three separate check in desks we appreciated. Loved the Ladies Only spaces by the hotel entrance in the parking garage...nice for the woman traveling alone. Very quiet on our floor (4th), and I usually walked the dogs down the stairwell to go outside. It's rare to find clean service stairs, but they were clean here! Left expensive headphones in the awesome gym...they mailed them back to me in VA. Great pool, too. Ten out of ten, for sure. Less than $100/night. What a bargain.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Ken K, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown University, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thanks so much. We enjoyed having as our guests.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked 4 nights there and stayed for the initial 3 nights. The morning after the 3rd night I checked out because I finished the business that I was in town for. The lady at the front desk said it was ok and said to also call hotels.com to be safe. I called hotels.com later that day on my way home. They called the hotel to confirm everything. At that time the manager at the Crown Plaza said that they were not going to credit back the last night even though I checked out early that morning and even though I stayed the first 3 nights. They were less than half full while I was there. If they would have been close to full occupancy or if I would have canceled the entire 4 nights at the last minute then I would have gladly paid because that would have been the right thing to do. I just wish that would have been reciprocated. I am in Knoxville often for business but I will NOT be staying there again. There are plenty of other nice hotels in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Christopher E
Ken K, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown University, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

I apologize for the apparent mix up. If you give me a call I would like to discuss your situation and see what can be done to rectify the situation. My office number is 865 522 2600.