“This is NOT a 4 star property!”

Crowne Plaza Knoxville
Ranked #24 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed January 11, 2008

This is a much older Crowne Plaza (I believe it was built for the World's Fair) and is definately showing it's age. Some of the other reviews had stated that it had been renovated however, I stayed at this property years ago and I didn't see any changes, especially in the public areas. ( they do have a new gym) Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
Reasonable prices on all services
Decent service by most individuals
Free and fast internet service
Good underground parking
Great room service and decent food
Very comfortable beds
Super nice new gym and it appeared the indoor pool area had been renovated.

Cons:
Housekeeping problems (had to change rooms upon arrival, crumbs under desk and behind the headboard)
Room keys very easily became deactivated resulting in running up and down to the front desk
Very poor lighting throughout the property and rooms (my room had a vast array of inexpensive lamps with differant types of bulbs)
Tiny and garishly lit bathrooms with very small tubs.
A general tired feel to the place resulting from half dead flower arrangements, old furniture, outdated restaurant, dead flowers at the front entrance and old looking corridors.
Very noisy old heating and air units in the rooms. I had to turn mine off so I could sleep.

Again this is definately NOT a 4 star property and is barely a 3. Renovation is badly needed before this property reachs dump status. DO NOT pay full price for this property, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Savannahone

Reviewed September 19, 2007

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza Knoxville in early September for the University of Tennessee home opener. A good hotel with great underground parking. The hotel itself was a little underwhelming for a Crowne Plaza hotel... but no complaints. The staff was friendly and most accomodating. About a 20 walk to Neyland Stadium.

• Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank drummerhill
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Booked room with a reward night through Priority Club, so I'm not sure of price. Got a free upgrade to 12th fllor executive club level. I think the only difference is access to Business Center, and no mini-fridge. But I didn't see other rooms, so can't say real difference. This is a renovated hotel, used to be Radisson. The location cannot be beat for any downtown activities. Easy walk to Old City, Tennessee Theatre, Market Square, Mast General Store and several restaurants. Starbucks in the room. Plenty of shampoo/lotion/body wash/etc, etc. Hair dryer in room worked. Plenty of storage space.

Super bedding and down cover, same as all Crowne Plazas. Real glasses, not plastic. Satellite problems, so couldn't rent movies. Great veiw from 12th floor, room 1213.

Staff very friendly and good service. Good water pressure. All appliances worked. Windows kind of dirty. Hi-speed internet. Thermostat on wall controls the wall unit. So no low/high fan on unit. It's just either on or off. Plenty of pillows. Standard Crowne Plaze Relaxation CD, ear plugs, eye cover mask, scented air freshner. Walls kind of thin when the neighboring room guests got "romantic" (hee). Their headboard apparently was up against our headboard with wall in between.

Elevator a bit of a wait. Valet parking, but easy to bypass. No cost to parking garage with easy access to lobby. Didn't dine there or use pool or lounge.

Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BusyMe
Reviewed October 3, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last few months because we are relocating to Knoxville. The corporation we are with puts us in this hotel as standard practice, so if there are not rooms available elsewhere this is where my family stays.

In terms of convenience, I think if you are in Knoxville for business downtown and do not want to drive this is probably a decent option (in terms of location). Sadly, it seems there are not a lot of options for the business traveler in Knoxville and I do hope this changes soon).

Nonetheless, the experience at this hotel typically begins looking for a valet to park the car. It is promptly followed by checking in with someone who cannot spell your name (regardless of how frequently you are a guest) and being given a room without any of one's requests). For expample we travel with children and always request a small refrigerator (a ten dollare per day charge) and two cribs. They have never once been in the room upon arrival and on two separate occasions the hotel ran out of cribs forcing us to put our kids in the bed with us. No one ever apologized for the confusion or made any attempt to remedy the situation.

The hotel rooms themselves are smallish but usually fairly clean. Ocasionally the shower curtains are moldy which isn't pleasant but this is why I prefer hotels that use glass doors on the shower. All rooms smell of smoke. I suspect this is just the way it goes when smoking rooms are mixed on the same floor as non smoking rooms rather than being separated by floors.

Room service is poor. The food is never very good, it takes ages to arrive and service is awful. One time we wanted to have a bottle of white wine with dinner and were told that the "hotel was out of white wine." The entire hotel!

Wake up calls do not happen. I have never stayed in a room that did not have either a broken telephone, television or both. Also please do not park with the valet. The boy whose job it is to retrieve cars is frequently hung over on weekend mornings and it will take them hours to find your keys to allow you to get your car yourself.

Once, upon arrival back to the hotel in the afternoon I called the manager to let them know housekeeping hadn't come and ask if someone could clean up as their was still breakfast food in the room. They sent a man up to clean. He picked up the room service tray and when I pointed out the trash and food around it he informed me it "wasn't his job to clean as they clean in the morning not the afternoon." Granted the manager did apologize for this but I mean.. come on.

All of the above, while not great, can be put up with. It is the clientele that sometimes come in with groups and their behavior which really prove to be the proverbial "straw on the camel's back."

The last time we stayed there was a convention of God only knows what. At ten PM several people started making a great deal of noise directly outside our room. A problem as we had two children with us. Even more of a problem as these people were quite liberal with their use of profanities and vulgarities. This continued until 2 Am. I called the front desk FIVE times and spoke to Jared the night manager. Nothing was done. Finally at 2 am when it bacame clear that the party in the hallway was not going to stop we checked out of the hotel and moved to another. As I passed Jared and asked if he was responsible for the incidents that had occured he nonchalantly said yes. No apology. No regrets. I do not need to tell anyone with children what it was like to move a two and three year old at 2 AM. Luckily the Hilton Homewood Suites at Turkey Creek had room. Please do yourself a favor and stay there if travel time permits.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank kiwikid
Arizona
Reviewed June 16, 2006

Because of the lack of hospitality, overall cleanliness, and service that we received from this Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza, we ended up checking out the same day we checked in, and switched to another hotel.
When we checked in, the front desk clerk was looking down and never acknowledged us. I looked over the front desk and saw that she was 'surfing' the internet! Then, when we got to our room, we turned the lamp on and a cockroach scurried by. I called down to ask to change rooms and they said they would not have another room clean for another hour. We had to sit in the lobby and wait on another room to become available, and we waited over an hour. We did not receive an apology.
The ladies' restroom on the lobby level was also lacking in cleanliness.
We checked out and went to another downtown hotel. This is our first trip to Knoxville, and I can easily say if we are back, we will never stay at the Crowne Plaza again.

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 28, 2006

Extremely comfortable bed and pillows. Nice white sheets. I had great view of city plaza across street. Easy walk to Old City. Helpful front desk, friendly bar staff, coffee maker in room. Only complaint was that I was there on Friday nite and could hear noisey street traffic and nest door neighbor snoring if the heat wasn't running.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed December 24, 2005

This is my third time at this hotel - all during a large church convention, where we literally took up 90% of all the rooms, and most families with 5 or more children and renting two rooms each. I love the staff, I love how friendly they were, and this place is very family friendly.

I love that for the price, I felt like I was in a fancy hotel.

The breakfast buffet was good, and most nights we were up late in some of the conference rooms and children playing and they seemed to enjoy having us.

We left big tips for our housekeeping lady - she did an exceptional job with a messy room!

Thanks for the good time

• Stayed: December 2004