“Very nice”

Ranked #39 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
athens, ga
“Very nice”
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I was here as part of a conference in April 2007. I found it very nice for a conference hotel. Nothing overally exciting, but a good, comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank accbiker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Racine, Ohio
Reviewed August 6, 2007

This Marriott Hotel was very unusual as far as architecture goes. It reminds me of a Mayan temple or a pyramid. We were there for 7 nights in July during Junior Olympics. Upon a late arrival, we were given a room with 2 double beds as booked. The room was extremely small, with 2 beds, a desk, and one chair stuffed in the corner. There was no balcony and you could not open the window. There were 4 of us and I felt instantly claustrophopic! I called the front desk twice that night and asked to be moved, and I was told that the entire hotel was booked (no suprise with all the athletes and their families in town). The next morning, I called the front desk again and spoke with a very nice and helpful lady who managed to find us a 2 bed "junior suite". It was larger and had a sleeper sofa and "living area" adjacent to the beds (not a seperate room). The room also had a nice size balcony, but there were no chairs outside. It was absolutely heaven compared to the other room. I do not recommend the smaller rooms, but the junior suite was pretty nice. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. However, the wallpaper was peeling off the walls in certain areas, there were water stains on the ceiling, and the decor was worn and dated. Beautiful lobby with glass elevators, but a lot of wasted space. The restaurant had a fantastic breakfast buffet at a reasonable price. During our stay, we got a really hard rainstorm and some guests had to be moved becaused of leaky rooms. My only complaint was that they never gave us 4 washcloths (3 every time) and I had to go ask for one more every day. Knoxville is a boring town with nothing to do. The Chocolate Factory does have great chocolate. The trolleys that run about every 15 minutes into downtown are free, however, they are one of the primary sources of transportation for local indigents. The only store worth seeing in downtown is Mast General Store (kind of like Cracker Barrell on steriods without the restaurant). This hotel is not close to anything except the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame. There are no restaurants within walking distance. Calhoun's is about 1/2 mile away. There is a lengthy walkway to the Knoxville Civic Colleseum just outside the hotel lobby, but the numerous flights of stairs are KILLER, and there are no elevators. The escalators are broken (not on the Marriott's property).

• Liked — Comfortable beds, close proximity to sporting event
  • Disliked — Worn and dated decor, regular rooms too small
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank GinaDRacine
Tennessee
Reviewed July 25, 2007

This is mine and my husband's hotel of choice for University of Tennessee football games. Always a very friendly staff and they go out of their way to make your weekend enjoyable. Super clean rooms and decorated very lovely. They have a shuttle to take you to the game or you may walk as we normally do. Excellent food in the bar area and restaurant. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming into town for a game.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank volfam
Reno, Nv.
Reviewed May 14, 2007

I stay in numerous Marriotts across the country. I would rate this one below the national average for Marriotts. It's OK ,but nothing else. During my three day stay one of two main elevators was broken and never repaired. This property is older, very used, and somewhat tired.

Some of the Courtyard properties in the area are newer, cleaner, better maintained, and overall a much better "bang for your buck" than this property. I will stay at the local Courtyards in the future.

I hope this helps.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — maintence
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brucer22
Midlands, SC
Reviewed January 20, 2007

We just returned from a short trip to Knoxville for an event with my daughter 's sports team. We had a slight surprise when the exit given on the Marriott website to reach the hotel was closed per construction. No problem, the next exit took us to the convention center area which we needed to know anyhow. A quick phone call to the hotel and we had good? directions. Knoxville has many one way streets, be alert. We checked in with no problem. The room was a bit small but decent. We had an ugly black door to the balcony ( which you share with the room next door) The two double beds were comfortable but next time I will ask for foam pillows. My eyes seemed to be irritated from the pillows. I would have called the desk but my daughter and husband were already asleep so I used my robe for a pillow. Another warning is the towels. Could they make them any scratchier! I have never come across such rough feeling fabric. My daughter took at least two showers that day and she said they made her feel like her skin was rubbed raw. I experienced the same. I don't know of any other Marriott where we have had that problem. (even Holiday Inn has softer towels) All in all our stay was alright. The service was good, the people were polite and friendly, the room was clean - (except for the one trash can they forgot to empty.) The rest was par for this hotel. I would probably stay at a Marriott again but, next time I take a trip to Knoxville, I will stay in a hotel a little closer to the convention center.

• Liked — food, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — bath linens
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Gymclubmom
Placencia, Belize
Reviewed June 27, 2006

I had a view of the Tennesse River from my room on the 6th floor. The room was average size but the decor was nice. My king size bed was sooooo comfortable with down comforters and 7 down pillows. I had no trouble at all with noise and that was when the Honda Hoot was in town - motorcycles everywhere. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank TavellingTammy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 4, 2006

Just completed a 2-nights stay at the Marriott Knoxville. We were there with a large group. Rooms were clean and beds were extremely comfortable. They put our family on the 2nd floor - very quiet. Outdoor pool was nice.

Most impressive was the wait staff at the Hillside Cafe (inside the Marriott). There was a huge baseball tournament that weekend, so there were a lot of children in the hotel. The staff was very patient, professional, and accommodating. 5-stars to the staff!

• Stayed June 2006