“Nice for business travel”

Holiday Inn World's Fair Park-Knoxville
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The even-numbered rooms give a nice view of the Sun-sphere and park. My room on the 8th floor was clean and spacious, with a nice view of the park. The heat register was a bit noisy whenever it kicked on, but not so loud as to be annoying.
The bed and pillows were both comfortable, and the room had several extra electric outlets, which I appreciate. I always carry an extension cord with me when I travel, so I can plug up my ipad, iPhone, laptop, etc. and in lots of hotels, there are never enough outlets.
The walls in the room are a pretty shade of green and beige, and the wall art consists of framed photos of downtown Knoxville, which is nicer than generic paintings. :0)

The staff was friendly, and the check-in was fast. The parking garage is creepy, as they always are for me traveling alone, but it is connected by an elevator to the hotel lobby, which I appreciate.

I wish the room had an enclosed closet instead of open hanging rack. I just like being able to put my luggage out of sight in a closet.

I've stayed here before on business, and look forward to staying again. Friendly, efficient staff, a clean and comfortable bed, and a quiet room. What more do you need? :0)

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms and higher floors give a good view of the park and sun-sphere.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Having stayed at hotels for business and pleasure in the US and around the world, this Holiday Inn ranks among the top hotels. It is clean, fresh (a place can be clean yet seem worn), and without exception everyone who works there is friendly and helpful. The food, both in presentation and taste, in the restaurant (I understand they have a new chef) is worthy of a restaurant not just good “hotel” food.

Ask at the front desk about where to eat and they will provide you with a map with about 30 restaurants within about three blocks. One suggestion would be to have this map and list available on the hotel’s website.

Aside from having the map on the website a few minor ways they could improve:
1. Get better music in the restaurant/elevators, etc. It is the most eclectic mix of music I have ever heard. (I was told that the CD’s are sent by corporate headquarters.)
2. Put signs in the hallway indicating where to turn for the elevators.
3. Inform people that when you check out you should keep your electronic room key so you can get out of the parking lot. (A typically friendly attendant let us out with no problem.)

As I stated, I have stayed at numerous hotels around the world and would be happy if every time my biggest issue was the selection of music.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

If you need to go to the Convention Center (just across the road) or the stadium (just down the street), then this is the place for you. Downtown is two blocks away, and consists of a square block of boutiques and restaurants. If, however, you don’t absolutely have to be downtown, or you want any kind of fast food, or anything to do after 6pm, then get a hotel in the Cedar Bluff area, two miles down the road. The mountains are two hours away by car.
The hotel itself is good, clean and newish, with underground parking. The staff are friendly and helpful, and there’s even one OK restaurant and one coffee bar in the hotel. The rooms are 3-4 star, but I was surprised to find no safe in the room. There is also no fridge, but there is nowhere nearby to buy anything to put in it. The hotel runs a shuttle service to anywhere within 3 miles, and I can see why it needs to. I didn’t try it out.
The hotel itself is good, but be warned about the location. The same goes for the other hotels downtown.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel during a game weekend and received some of the worst bar service I've ever had. Especially in a hotel. We first sat down for happy hour at the hotel bar and were given great service by a server named Sam and then a server named Alexandra came in and stood behind the bar talking about her new "plum" lipstick while we were waiting for drinks. Sam was busy with the other customers and setting up for the night and this girl Alexandra refused to do anything productive or help anyone. She was leaning against the counter behind the bar with her arms crossed. Another person joined our group and waited 20 minutes for a drink when there were only two other people at the bar besides us. When we asked her a question about the local area we were basically sassed and made to feel stupid for asking.
Then a couple next to us asked for potato chips, Alexandra filled their bowl, tossed it on the bar, then filled her mouth with chips from the same bag, and put the bag back in the cabinet behind the bar.
We felt that we were singled out, being that we were younger than most people at the hotel this weekend, (being in our early 30s,) but we are IHG Rewards Club Members who are very well traveled and this was absolutely unacceptable

We spent two nights at the hotel and both nights were the same thing with this girl. The other bartenders were even talking about her behind her back TO the customers at the bar.

If it weren't for this experience, I would absolutely recommend this hotel to other people. It was clean, convenient, and the location is great. If Alexandra were not there, this weekend would have been MUCH better.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn World's Fair Park-Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear katie p,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We went for a football this past weekend and really loved the location. It was close enough to the stadium yet far enough away; the UT campus starts just a block away. This hotel has a nice buffet or order off the menu breakfast and a convenient nick nack store if you need anything. If you want to walk down to the river it's only about 4-5 blocks. Downtown is just as easy and the Market Place area is recommended with many stores and eateries, they even have outdoor shows and concerts.
The hotel has on premise parking which is an easy in and out and a nice bar area that has seating inside and out. We really enjoyed our wekend and the Hotel exceeded our expectations. Check in was quick and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We booked this hotel through Hotels.com a month or two in advance. We were able to get a GREAT deal by doing so. We decided to stay here because of its close location to Neyland Stadium. It's just a short walk away. There is also shuttle service available if you choose. We chose to ride to the stadium then walk back. Our driver that morning could have been a bit more cheerful & personable. I'm not sure he cracked a smile the entire time. We also decided to take the shuttle to Calhoun's on the River that evening & our driver that time was a delight. He was very friendly & a delight to talk to. I wish I would have gotten his name. Everyone at the hotel was helpful & pleasant to deal with even while being swamped because of football game. Our room had what they called a "city view". & oh what a view it was. It was toward Henley & yes we could hear all of the traffic & firetrucks that ran all night, but for the view, it was worth it. Every morning you could see the most beautiful sunrise.

The bed was extremely comfortable & the pillows were amazing. I instantly missed them upon our return home. The only real "complaint" I would have is that we were in a handicap room which meant it had a "roll in" shower. This was nice because of the openness, but also bad because of the same. No matter what we tried to do to prevent it, water would flood the bathroom floor every time we showered. Not too big of a deal because we'd just clean it up with the extra towels, but with the hotel pushing being "Green" & reusing towels, this didn't seem to work with that plan. Oh, & this may seem silly, but the toilets are incredibly...loud. I kept hearing strange noises in the night, then we determined that we could hear our neighbors flushing. Strange, but true.

Overall, we loved our experience at this hotel & have decided that when we come back to Knoxville, we will definitely being staying here again!

Room Tip: If you want a room with a beautiful view of the city & don't mind street noise, ask for a ro...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here for a football game and really enjoyed the stay. Probably a 10-15 minute leisurely walk to the stadium (maybe another extra 5 minutes if you wanted to go to the basketball arena). You are also very close to the Market Square District (5-7 minute walk). Staff were very attentive and very responsive to a customer wanting to get checked in quickly and get to the game. Rooms were clean and well appointed, though nothing extraordinary. Indoor pool nice. If you have time, a good option is to stroll the World's Fair Park adjacent to the facility.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple