“Best Hotel stay ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn World's Fair Park-Knoxville

Holiday Inn World's Fair Park-Knoxville
Ranked #14 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Tampa, Florida
“Best Hotel stay ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

Let me start by saying this was the most pleasurable hotel experience I have had in a verrrrry long time. I have been traveling for the past 2.5 months at stayed at many nationally renowned, top-notch hotels in addition to some local favorites across the eastern seaboard, the Northeast, the south, and even the Midwest – none them came close to this Holiday Inn. Recently, I graduated from medical school, and like all young doctors in the United States, I am currently going through an arduous process called “the Match” which is a highly regulated, regimented process in which new doctors find their first jobs in residencies across the country. To make a long story short, in going through the match process I have had to go on approximately 20 interviews around the country at different hospitals/universities. Every university gives recommendations as to which nearby hotel to stay at (and they typically coordinate a shuttle and meeting spot with that hotel, so in a sense you are obligated to stay at the hotel they recommend). Naturally they always pick one of the fanciest hotels around (e.g. Radisson, Marriott, Hilton, Hilton Doubletree, Hyatt, or some specialty famed local historic hotel). It seems they do this by design to enhance the interview experience and increase the likelihood that you will remember your trip as a positive experience (even you hated the hospital, the city, etc.). Thus, I have stayed at some very wonderful hotels over the past 2.5 months and have always been extremely satisfied with my accommodations. With that said, the Holiday Inn World's Fair Park was by far the most pleasant experience yet during my entire 2.5 month adventure. It was the cleanest hotel, the absolute friendliest staff, the most helpful staff, the most technologically advanced, and had ALL of the little extra amenities that even the very best hotels sometimes forget to include or deliberately neglect. In order to enumerate all the reasons why this hotel was the greatest I’ve ever been in would take a 35 page dissertation. To spare you the details I’ll just give a few small examples of this hotel’s advanced amenities and painstaking attention to detail. One salient feature was their completely digitized air conditioning and electricity which is card operated and something I have never seen before, not to mention their “card wave” entry (no balancing act of holding your luggage in one hand while holding your room key in the other in an effort to try to swipe you card through a tiny slot). Additionally, ALL bathroom toiletries are already available to you in the bathroom and placed where you would expect to find them. Another small yet important feature that even the very best hotels don’t have is the number of available electrical sockets. Every single portable light in the room has electrical sockets embedded in light’s platform (this is a feature typically seen in many hotels) however, each light in this hotel has multiple sockets per platform. Not only that, but they are spaced out in such a many that even the bulkiest cell phone charger or laptop plug adaptor can fit in the charger. Nothing is more annoying than a great hotel with sockets your cell phone charger cannot plug into because there isn’t enough space, (for those of you who travel a lot you know exactly what I am talking about!). And finally, the staff was so very accommodating. Claire at the front desk took a great deal of time helping me find the very best restaurants in the city. Additionally, my rental car’s battery died while the car was parked in the garage, so the keyless entry audible “beep” was not functional. As a result, I did not know which car in the lot was mine as I couldn’t recall where I had last parked after having made numerous trips in and out of the hotel’s garage. I did know the car’s license plate number as it was listed on the keys’ keychain. So not one, or two, but 3 hotel employees stopped what they were doing and walked up and down the entire garage with me in, the cold, searching for the license plate of the car. When we finally found the car it would not start and the rental company agreed to send a tow truck to pick it up several hours later. Overhearing my dilemma, one of the individuals working for the hotel owner agreed to travel out of his way to take me to the airport in his own personal car. I gladly took the offer. Before going through my entire rental car ordeal and experiencing the “bend over backwards to help” mentality of the hotel’s staff, I had already felt this Holiday Inn was the greatest hotel ever. However, after interacting with almost every hotel employee on staff that day, I was more and more impressed with each encounter – simply icing on the cake, so to speak. Anyone traveling to Knoxville must stay at this hotel, it was my best hotel experience ever.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

When I called the hotel two months before our visit, I was sent to the 1-800 number because I needed the rate associated with an event we were to attend in Knoxville. I made the reservation and received a confirmation number over the phone. When I called to confirm two days before our arrival, I was told that my confirmation number was for a different reservation for a different person... in New Orleans! After an hour and a half on the phone with two different people, I was told that they had no record of my reservation and there were no more rooms available. Then I was told that there were no more rooms at ANHY of the hotels in the downtown area and my best option was a Holiday Inn 10 miles away. Yeah, right.

Fortunately, I found a room .25 miles away - but for $30 more per night and not right at the convention center where we would be spending our time and where all of our friends would be.

Although the customer service reps on the phone were very nice and apologized, I am very disappointed that my confirmation was not honored in any way.

Lesson: Be sure to get a written/digital confirmation!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
mitch1kim, General Manager at Holiday Inn World's Fair Park-Knoxville, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Thanks you for the comments on your recent interaction with our front office team. While I am glad they were friendly and courteous, I apologize for our inability to accommodate your needs during your planned trip to Knoxville. Please give us another chance to earn your business on your next visit to the area. When planning your next visit, please contact me directly to arrange your accommodations. I would be happy to book your reservation, personally. Thanks again for your comments. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Mitch Holloway
Roanoke, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

This is a beautiful property located on the site of the 1982 World's Fair. The hotel's staff was friendly and accommodating, and our room was extremely clean and beautifully decorated. Actually, the entire hotel was extremely well maintained, clean and beautifully decorated. We ate at the hotel restaurant several times during our stay and the food was tasty and nicely prepared. Even the dinner buffet was good. Two of the wait staff in particular, Sean and Siler, were excellent and made our dining experiences even more enjoyable.

This is also an eco-friendly hotel which requires a little getting use to. You have to use your room key to get the heating/air conditioning unit to operate. Initially, our unit would not operate but the maintainence staff was very quick to come up to our room and reset the unit. After that, everything worked fine.

On the negative side, our bathroom, while nicely appointed, was extremely small and tight. Also, the hotel bar closed at 11:00 pm and did so by turning on harsh bright lights to chase the patrons away. The Sunday breakfast buffet had a nice assortment, but the food was not very hot.

Lastly, we were there as part of a group using the Convention Center facilities which were very nice, but because of the parking restrictions, the unloading and loading was very inconvenient. For a facility of this size, you would think they would have better accommodations for unloading and loading. Other than that, I liked the Convention Center.

Overall, this is a nice property and despite the few negaitves, I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VA_Cameo
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

I was responsible to find a different location for our quarterly meeting, normal location was not available. We met in one of their board rooms on the second floor. The entire staff was extremely helpful form the initial reservation process through the actual meeting period. The room was very comfortable and the chairs were extremely comfortable. The room was prepared for our meeting and parking was no issue for downtown as they have their own parking garage. Food provided was much better than our normal site and regularly serviced with out need to call. The other executives found this to be a very good experience, commenting that it was much better than expected. Again, I cannot thank the staff enough for the wonderful service they provided the two days that we met, lunch was very good with an expanded limited menu that had something for everyone. A very special thanks to the Holiday Inn for making this a very good experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

I was there for a week-long business trip. The staff was wonderful, not only friendly but also very knowledgeable. The business center was excellent. I needed legal paper and it was brought to me in seconds. Anything I asked for was done promptly and with a smile. Room was very clean. Bed was very comfortable. Excellent location. Restaurant food was awesome I had steak and it was done to perfection. Pool was warm and very clean. Everything was like a 5 star hotel. I will stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Susan M
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

We had an office Christmas party at their new banquet facilities, and we were all very impressed with the treatment received. The food was great and the service flawless.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

Its Thanksgiving weekend and our family wanted to go see the festival of trees in Knoxville at the convention center, we decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Worlds Fair hotel.WOW is the only word i can use, it felt like a five star resort. We are no small family to say the least we have 5 boys(12,8,3,2,1) and had two nieces(12,8) and grandparents with us for this holiday trip.

The hotel put us in a great corner suite with a living area and kitchenet, we had three full bathrooms which was much needed to say the least and then the grandparents got their own room away from the children to relax. Each room had it own large flat screen so there wee plenty of space to watch football for me and papaw while the kids got to watch their shows.

Room service was very fast and even brought us breakfast after they were onto the lunch menu one morning, the hotel was able to get me tickets to the festival of trees and have them waiting on me at the hotel when we arrived, breakfast on the last day was fit for royalty over looking the worlds fair park on a winter morning(all that was missing was the snow). Management was amazing, when we left the room with one key to a door and accidentially left the safety lock on that door(went out another door) they happily created another key for us and offered to go up and remove the safety lock from that door. When we needed directions to local restaurants the staff at the front desk had maps and gave easy directions to go to all of Knoxville's best restaurants downtown which all are within walking distance!

There was a ice ring at market square(where there is 10-15 AWESOME restaurants) with live music that the kids went crazy for that was only a couple blocks from the hotel. And the main reason for the trip, the festival of trees, AMAZING the activites, trees, and lights that were there. If you have children then this trip and staying at the Holiday Inn Worlds Fair right beside the convention center is one you need to put on your bucket list, it was truely memories that we all will cherish for a lifetime! Thank you so much to everyone that made our Thanksgiving so memoriable at the Holiday Inn Worlds Fair, your hotel truely represents the best in hospitality!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family