“Downtown location detracts from service”
Review of Hilton Knoxville

Hilton Knoxville
Ranked #22 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 4, 2011

This hotel was fine. When I travel, my litmus test for a hotel is cleanliness. And the hotel was clean. So, on that count, this hotel is a haven among all the grimy, seedy hotels out there in the world. However, the downtown location has both pros and cons. On the plus side, the hotel is right next to Market Square. You can skip the overpriced, $14-a-head, processed-food breakfast and take a short walk to a handful of Knoxville's best restaurants. Also, if you are planning on enjoying downtown Knoxville's drinking establishments, you can save yourself the cabfare at the end of the night.
That being said, the hotel houses the only Starbucks in downtown Knoxville, which is located in the lobby. Once the coffee stash in the room is used up, your only choice is to go downstairs and stand in line with people off the street to buy a coffee for $1.50. There is not complimentary coffee in the lobby.
Also, the night I checked in the staff was distracted by a wedding taking place in the ballroom. They neglected to point out that as a Hilton Honors member I would receive a free Starbucks coffee and half off breakfast. They also failed to adequately explain where exactly my room was. The hotel has 18 floors. Between answering the phone and directing the hotel guests to the ballroom, I would have liked the hotel staff to explain to me where the elevator was. Was it travel exhaustion that made it hard for me to find the elevator or just my own ditziness? Not sure. But I am sure that I'm not the first person to feel turned around in the lobby.
Bottom line: training for customer service staff should include pointing out the discounts awarded Hilton Honors customers and where the elevator is located--especially as we are sometimes travel weary and need some guidance. Other bottom line: the hallway light shone through all night. Be sure to close the gap with the decorative pillow if you are light sensitive.
I will stay here again, especially now that I know what to expect. It is a nice hotel. It was just the nitpicky things that caused me minor frustrations.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank annemidd
pjordan2024, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for giving valuable feed back regarding your experience at the Hilton Knoxville Hotel. We are grateful when guests choose our hotel for their travel needs when traveling to our city. Although you pointed out some positive attributes and characteristics of our hotel I certainly took note of the interaction that you had with our staff upon check in. As a team we strive daily to execute our guest service at a high level. Like you we believe that we should interact with out guests in a proactive manner in an effort to give the guest the needed information about the hotel so they can fully enjoy their stay. We clearly could have done better in this case. As the General Manager of the Hotel I assume responsibility for such oversights and will take proactive steps with our staff to address and correct the issues. I am pleased that you seemed to have enjoyed your stay in the great city of Knoxville and we look forward to serving you at the level we both expect in the future. Thank you again and have a wonderful day.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Knoxville

Reviewed May 1, 2011

room was decent, but i only paid $99 per night. Self-Parking is reasonable ($10) and is basically next door. Would i recommend? If you can get the good price it is probably worth it for a downtown hotel. Overall I am satisfied! it had a nice view! One complaint ... pool was closed in late April ... it was 85 degrees!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
pjordan2024, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Knoxville for your recent hotel needs. I am pleased to hear that your stay was positive. I also noticed that you voiced some concern over the pool not being open during your visit. Based on the uncertainty of the weather we do not open our pool for operation until mid to late May. However, based on your experience we will review the time table to ensure that it still makes sense in our ever changing weather patterns. One thing that will not change is that we never want a guest to have a disappointing stay. I am truly sorry that you were unable to enjoy both our pool area and the great weather in Knoxville. I trust that we will have another opportunity to serve you in the future. Thank you again for your business.

Reviewed April 13, 2011

I stayed here one night on business in April, 2011 and left the hotel impressed. The hotel was in great condition -- it appeared to have been renovated recently. All of the decor was updated and very pleasant. The lobby, hallways, and room all looked good without any visible wear and tear. The room had a comfortable bed, nice desk, and small couch.

I had a late arrival (after midnight) and was pleased to find the front desk staffed upon my arrival, with a very fast and polite check-in. (So often, you arrive late to a hotel and wait several minutes for a night manager to leave the office and discover someone's waiting at the desk.) The valet was not present when I arrived, so the front desk took my key and took care of the car. The only minor glitch was that the front desk attendant told me he'd put the valet tag under my door so I could call in the morning. He never did -- although, thankfully, the front desk staff member in the morning quickly owned the issue and my car was retrieved without issue. So, no big deal.

Didn't get a great feel for the hotel's location because of the late arrival and early departure, but it was right in downtown and not far from the University, around which there are lots of restaurants.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if business takes me back to Knoxville!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank brmusicman
pjordan2024, General Manager at Hilton Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Hilton Knoxville Hotel. I am delighted that you had such a positive experience. I of course will thank the people responsible for making that happen (my valued associates) and let them know of your kind words. We will be continuing to improve the hotel and would welcome the opportunity to be your hotel of choice in the future. As for the location of the hotel, it is a fantastic location connected to an extremely enjoyable and relaxing downtown. Please allow yourself to enjoy the city and surrounding area on your next trip to the great city of Knoxville, TN.

Reviewed April 10, 2011

This is a nice hotel for a business trip. The room was quiet and comfortable. I stayed on the club floor and have to say the breakfast and hors d'oeurves weren't all that great in quality, but there was sufficient quantity. The staff is very nice.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Knoxville hotel for your travel needs, and for your feedback. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and the experience with our associates. As a team we take great pride in the fact that we strive to be a leader in the industry in the area of guest service. This is only possible if we listen to valued guests such as you. I assure you that both I and our talented Executive Chef will take the time to review our offerings provided in the Concierge Lounge and make any necessary adjustments. I am confident that we can make the improvements that will bring that area of the hotel up to meet your expectations. Thank you again for choosing our hotel and I look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2011

The comfortable rooms, large, luxurious lobby, and welcoming staff have made this a favorite place to stop on our way to visit friends in the West. All staff was outstanding- alert, friendly, and competent, they made us feel at home. Very comfortable bed, well laid-out rooms, although the decor in our room this time was a bit shabby - wall covering pealing in places especially the bathroom, and the shower controller was difficult to use - probably overdue for the renovations which had already graced our previous rooms. As usual, we had a wonderful dinner at the lobby gourmet restaurant, Marty's Cafe, and a breakfast buffet with a wide selection of quality foods and made-to-order omelets, among the best we've encountered. Love this hotel. Easy on and off the highway, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up view of the river.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feed back on the Hilton Knoxville hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We take great pride in our hotel and the service that we provide. You will be pleased to know that we will begin further renovations this year and will continue the project into the coming year as we work to maintain the level expected by our valued clients. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed March 27, 2011

I would never stay at this hotel again. We requested a NON SMOKING ROOM and did not get what we reserved. We had prepaid so we had to stay and the management was not helptul AT ALL. I would NEVER stay at this property again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feed back on our hotel. Although we do not enjoy hearing of negative experiences, guest feed back is vital to our industry and appreciated in all cases by our hotel. Allow me to sincerely apologize for the experience you had. I fully understand that being in a smoking room when it is not your desired choice does have impact on your ability to enjoy your stay. It is always our desire to accommodate guest room type preference since it is so vital to their travel needs. We will review our preparation for coming arrivals to ensure we are doing all that we can do to allow our guests to enjoy the room type that fits their needs. Please rest assured that we are committed guest service and strive to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is clear that we did not achieve this goal in your experience and for that I again offer my sincere apology. I trust that we have another opportunity to serve you on your future visits to Knoxville, TN.

Paul Jordan

Reviewed February 22, 2011

Gym has a full set of weight machines, free weights, and of course tredmill/elipticals.
Also great fast wifi for free.
Great staff too!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
HiltonKnoxville, Director of Sales at Hilton Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2011

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at the Hilton Knoxville. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the fitness center and your stay with us! We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Knoxville! Please call me if I can be of assistance.

Fran Owen, CHSP / Director of Sales & Marketing / Hilton Knoxville