“Perfect For A Swim Meet or a StopOver”

Red Roof PLUS+ & Suites Knoxville West - Cedar Bluff
Ranked #32 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family and I have been to Knoxville for several swim meets and have tried all the hotels in the area. When class is in session at the university, things can be a bit congested downtown, but we've found that the hotels in at exit 378 off Interstate 40 offer everything a family would need to get their day started and have a restful sleep.
We've stayed at the Red Roof Inn - no issues
We've stayed at the Holiday Inn - no issues
This time we stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites - near a Baymont Inn and Suites and SEVERAL restaurants rangin from Famous Dave's, to Carabba's, to Outback, to Cracker Barrel and fast food from McDonalds, to Burger King, to Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks.

The next exit east (380) has a large mall, so that area gets congested and the traffic isn't good, so we find that 378 is perfect for us - close enough to town and just off the interstate.

The Comfort Inn was clean and restful. We had a queen/queen room and they had all the amenties you would want in a hotel including a hot breakfast in the morning with eggs and sausge.

The workout room was small and the treadmill didn't work, but they had an eliptical and a bike and some type of weight machine, but enough for you to do a workout.

They even had washers/dryers - so if you're traveling, great place to stop over.

I would recommend if you're a swim family and heading this way, you can walk to Carabba's and Outback and get your breakfast and hit the pool.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Great rate and a great continental breakfast to boot!! What more could you ask ? Well a updated room would be nice. Room just didn't seem to match the lobby/front desk area. Room was clean and we did get a good nights sleep. It's just that the room looked tired. The pool area looked good but was closed for the season. Lots of choices for a good dinner in this area.I would stay at this Hotel again for a one nighter.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here as a stop over from a long drive. The lobby is well done, but when I got to the room it did not live up to the lobby standards. The room was old and outdated. Beds were hard and uncomfortable. The first room I got, you could not pick up any wireless signal so the front desk moved me closer to the lobby and then I had no issue. Thanks for doing that.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I would like to give this place a 2.5 and not a 2 because I do not feel like it really deserves a rating that is labeled as "poor" because it is not "poor." In fact, there are many nice things about this hotel. Unfortunately, many of them end once you exit the main lobby. The hotel is in a nice location for travelers, and offers a reasonable rate for the night. The hotel exterior is nice and updated with ample parking. The hotel staff seemed very friendly at check in, and upon looking around the main lobby area, I got my hopes up that the rooms would match the efforts that had been put into the lobby/exterior. It looked like it had been recently updated with nice furnishings, up to date decor, and no evidence of the aging that would soon be seen in the rooms. There was a lovely looking office area that seemed stocked with books, a computer, and a printer, and though we did not have breakfast at the hotel, the breakfast area also looked very nice and up to date. The hotel also had a nice outdoors area, with a pool (though it was not open at the time of our travel due to it being winter) and a very nice BBQ. It is clear that they have put in time, effort, and money in bringing these locations up to date. That all being said, once we left the lobby and entered the hallway that contained the rooms, it felt like we were in an entirely different hotel. The lighting was dim, the carpeting looked run down, and it was just kind of depressing. The room was a similar mismatch of up to date items paired with old, run down ones. The refrigerator, microwave, and TV were all new and great to have, and the hotel boasted full cable... I'm not talking about 50 channels with a couple in HD, I'm talking digital cable, complete with a guide, and lots of HD channels to choose from. This was something I have never seen at a hotel before, and was a sign that some of the money they have invested in their lobby area is going towards the rooms too. That being said, much more work is needed. The furniture, such as the bed frame, was run down, dented, and scratched up. The lights all flickered as they turned on (energy efficient bulbs perhaps, but unless that can be confirmed, it comes across as dingy), the bathroom, especially the bathtub was pretty disgusting, with significant rust around the drain. The door to the room also showed significant wear and looked dirty. Additionally, though the walls insulated sound quite well, the door totally failed to do so. Every time someone went in or out of their room, we could hear a loud SLAM, or we could hear crystal clear conversations going on in the hallway. This was particularly troublesome as people started waking up in the early morning, and would wake us up. As for sleep quality, the bed was actually quite comfortable, but as some other hotels seem to be doing nowadays, they provide lots of small pillows, about the size of a throw pillow, rather than just a few larger sized pillows. Maybe some people like that, but I for one do not care for it.

In looking at all of the other reviews, there is a pretty clear consensus. Nice lobby, good location, decent price, outdated rooms. I agree on every single one of those counts. The lobby and common areas around it are very nice and have been updated recently. The location is ideal for travelers and there are lots of stores and restaurants near the hotel. The price for the night was more than fair, especially when you consider that you get free parking, wifi, and breakfast. If only the hotel put the same money that they put into their common areas into their rooms. I hope that the presence of nice, name brand, HDTVs along with digital cable are a sign of things to come for their rooms rather than being the extent of their in room improvements.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

The price and location are excellent. The lobby and breakfast are wonderful. The room however was average. The bathroom was very outdated and mold was growing on the ceiling. I would stay here again because of the central location to everything we wanted to do in the Knoxville area.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at this location (once per year for the past 3 years). Based upon the previous two stays, I would have given this location 4/5 instead, however this stay showed some issues that have popped up that need to be addressed by the hotel so that it can again be better than "average."

The lobby area of the hotel is nice and very well maintained. Check-in was quick, however the clerk at the desk complained to me about the previous guest that she had helped check out and called the guest "stupid" and "mean." Now, while the guest may have been those things (I have no idea), the clerk should not really be complaining about a guest like that in the open lobby.

We received a room right next door to the one that we stayed in last year. There were two queen beds in the bedroom with a separate living area with a pullout sofa, a chair, a small table and chairs, and a kitchenette area with microwave, fridge, and sink. The vanity is outside of the bathroom, which is nice for more than one person getting ready at the same time. This room was a little smaller than similar rooms we had in the past at this hotel, but it did have a small private balcony (which the past ones did not have), so that was nice. The room was clean and well-stocked, but the furnishings are in definite need of an upgrade. The chairs that went with the table were scratched and missing paint all over. The large chair and ottoman were frayed so badly that I am surprised the stuffing was not already coming out. And the mattress for the pullout was so worn that it would have been almost as comfortable to sleep directly on the springs. The beds and pillows were very comfortable just like we have experienced at this location before.

Breakfast is good with biscuits, gravy, eggs, sausage, waffles, yogurt, fruit, cereals, and pastries. Everything was kept stocked. It would be nice if there was a little more seating in the breakfast area. We were there on a fairly slow night and there were only a few groups at the breakfast area when we were there but it was still difficult to find seating.

Location is very good with easy access off of/onto I-40 and close to plenty of shopping and good restaurants (it is in Cedar Bluff area, between Turkey Creek and West Hills). If your primary reason for visiting Knoxville is something downtown or in east or north Knoxville, there are other similar options closer to those areas (especially if you are not comfortable getting around the city).

Next year when the time comes again, I am certain that we will come back, but I do hope that they pay attention to their aging furnishings and work on customer service skills. As I mentioned, if they dealt with those two things, I would easily give this location 4/5 instead of 3.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We've been living out if hotels for the past few weeks paying around $70 per night but this one was the dingiest. Our room had furniture that looked like a dog had been chewing on it, a wobbly lamp, smashed bugs on the wall, and worst of all a moldy grimy shower head. You can tell they spent all their money on the lobby and forgot about updating the rooms. The blankets looked like they where from the 70's and ours had wax drops all over them. It's like we got the out of towner special or something. They wouldn't even give us a late check out. They also make the coffee and hot water once a day, so they complimentary lobby coffee is pretty rancid by noon. They also don't keep the hot water full if you want to chill by the huge lobby fire place in the evening and want to enjoy a cup of cocoa. Not well managed or maintained.

• Stayed: January 2013