“Local Favorite”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wasabi is one of my favorites and has been for years. We enjoy it everytime we go. I always set at the grill where I can see my food being cooked. The service has slightly went down hill, I hope they get back on track I love this place!

1  Thank luvsmygirls
There are newer reviews for Wasabi Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Went to wasabi tonight to celebrate my sisters and my birthday and the food was good but the service overall was lacking. Also felt rushed to leave the table upon paying for the meal.

Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Wasabi has always been my favorite restaurant in Knoxville, but I now have to amend my expectations. We arrived early enough for the EarlyBird Special; you have to check in before 5:30. Seated promptly, but our waitress didn't notice that one of our party had no plate or utensils as everyone else did. She had to be told then picked up an extra setting from in front of another party's child, apparently not caring that the child could have touched it.

On to the show, which is part of the fun: our chef muttered his way thru the program and didn't perform half his tricks. Yes, he altered somewhat after the smallest child was startled by the first flame-up, but he had three other eagerly watching children as well as the adults and didn't try to amuse them.

Soup was excellent, but salad was seriously lacking. Ginger dressing runny; big chunks of the white part of the lettuce head.

On to the cooking: we found shrimp tails in the rice, which the cook didn't flavor well. More salt or more soy or both would have helped. He kept screwing up who ordered this or that.

The meat just wasnot as flavorful as it could have been:: that could be the fault of the kitchen in buying the cuts for the evening. The kitchen also faulted on our favorite sauces: shrimp and ginger and mustard sauces were much runnier than usual; red pepper sauce didnot set you on fire as in the past. Teriyaki sauce was still praised.

So, from the waitress to the show to the cooking to the kitchen responsibilities, last night was not on par with many other experiences at Wasabi.

I will give them another try, but if the next is the same overall bad experience, then not a third.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I come here all the time and I am always impressed. They have great food that they cook right in front of you (and they make it exciting too!) and they also have great sushi. The service is usually very good. I recommend the filet mignon and shrimp (the filet is delicious and very tender and is not much more expensive than the ribeye and shrimp). I love it here and they give you a large helping of vegetables, rice, meat, carrots, salad, and soup. The rice is delicious! I could eat a huge bowl of rice just by itself!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have been several times, but don't go too often. The place is so popular that seating and service have become a bit chaotic, but I guess that's the price of success.

I would go more often, but I can get the same excellent quality food elsewhere for a much lower price. I don't need the fancy Oriental decor, hanging plants, nor the wait!

1  Thank stepchile