“Those Minnesota Guys somehow know BBQ”
Review of Famous Dave's

Famous Dave's
Ranked #53 of 1,187 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Loudon, Tennessee
“Those Minnesota Guys somehow know BBQ”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I grew up in Memphis, supposedly (and I believe it) the home of the best BBQ anywhere (I know...I know...there's Kansas City, Owensboro, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas). But somehow this chain started by peeps in Minnesota of all places knows BBQ too. The Tennessee-based franchise does it right. This restaurant and the one in Chattanooga are teriffic. And here's a hint: try the rib tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visited November 2012

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Some of the best BBQ ever!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We love Famous Dave's!! They have the BEST ribs I've ever had! Great pulled pork too! Fantastic mac n cheese, baked beans and cornbread that is to die for!! The only negative thing about this restaurant is the service, it may be just bad timing but we always get crap service, however we love the food so we keep putting up with it.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Offended”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

First we had to wait longer while we could clearly see 5 open tables. Second, our server offered us chips for the table, when she brought them out it was about seven potato chips for five people! Frankly it was offensive.
The food we ordered was good and arrived promptly. It's a good thing because one and a half chips seemed to elevated our hunger rather than pacify while waiting for our entree.
I usually really enjoy this place. I think the server and potato debacle spoiled the experience. Otherwise, food was good.

“Impressive Que for a chain...”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

This was our first visit to a Famous Dave's location. I tend to avoid chain barbecue restaurant because I have a smoker and cook barbecue quite often at home. I had the rib tips and hot link platter and both were very good. If you like sauce, they have a great assorment of strong offerings that's bound to please everyone. However, the dry rub is delicious all by itself. My son had the ultimate barbecue burger that comes with pulled pork and jalapeño bacon on top. A day later and he's still talking about the great flavor of that bacon and is asking when we're going back to a Famous Dave's. Our waitress was excellent and knowledgable about the food and the menu. They bring you a small bowl of homemade fried potato chips with rub on them as a small teaser. We ended up getting a full order and trying the different sauces on them. For a chain, I was very impressed with the food quality and complex flavors.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Do not know why they are famous”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This has to be the worst BBQ place I have ever been. Everything was too dry and chewy even covered in sauce. Sides were so so. Prices were a little high for BBQ. The only reason I did not give it lower rating is because the server and others were really nice and sweet. The only asset is their people. Still need to go out of state for really good BBQ. The best ones here are either closed or just pick up stands.

Visited October 2012