“Found something I could find anywhere else”
Review of Mast General Store

Mast General Store
Ranked #1 of 39 Shopping in Knoxville
Grand Rapids, Michigan
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Found something I could find anywhere else”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This store just looked like another one of those tourist trap stores, but I went in to see what it looked like. Big surprise. Yes, there are tourist things available, but also some very well-stocked supplies of clothing and outdoor gear. I found a buckle for my backpack that I have not been able to find anywhere else, including online and from the manufacturer. This place had a jar full of them (along with a lot of other sizes).

The candy store portion of the store is interesting, but I've seen that same setup in many different places in the country (Charlevoix, MI; Monterey, CA; Virginia City, NV). But there was a LOT more in the store. I'd go there just to explore to see what else they might have.

Visited September 2013

East Coast
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Love this store !”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The other day a friend and I went to Market Square for the Farmers Market and we always stop at Mast General. This store has a little bit of everything. Scored myself a pair of new shoes on sale like 70% off. Due to the change of season they were having a wonderful sale with 40% off the last marked price on tons of items. I was hoping to find a UT BIG ORANGE shirt I like but nothing tripped my trigger. I love their candy section and always check out the kitchen section. This is a great place to visit. They have a wonderful cookbook too !

Visited September 2013
Blacksburg, Virginia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Kid in a candy store...”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was visiting a Knoxville friend and she took me to Market Square and what a nice surprise to find this store. I've been to the original Mast store in Val Cruces, NC and the one in Boone - but years ago. I live in a more rural community in VA with limited shopping so going to place like this was really fun and I spent a few hours there. Two floors of all kinds of things - everything from old-timey muscle liniment to candy to hiking gear, clothing and shoes. I liked the clothing and found some hiking shorts. They have a nice hiking gear area but not as comprehensive as some other outfitters I have been to (but I also think online sales for some gear items has made stores like this cut back on what they offer).

I don't go to Cracker Barrels so I wouldn't know the comparison on another review but it might mean I would like a Cracker Barrel! The clerk (complete with chigger bites from a recent camping trip) in the hiking gear section was knowledgable and showed me the newest stove gadget they had on display. The folks who checked me out were very nice.

Visited August 2013
Virginia Beach
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Cracker Barrel without the food”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Many well-deserved kudos to Mast for opening a store in a revitalized area of Knoxville. However, I was quite disappointed. It feels like a Cracker Barrel store, which certainly doesn't distinguish it in a town where there are numerous Cracker Barrels! Having been to the Mast in Boone several years ago, I guess I was expecting this one to be more unique to the Smoky Mountain area or Tennessee generally. It would have been nice to find local products showcased. There may have been some, but they were not featured prominently. There is a good selection of outdoor goods such as North Face and Columbia. But the prices are pretty high for a city with access to good shopping and outlets 30 minutes away.

Visited July 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Horrible place”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Dont buy here! Very unfriendly customer service. I am extremely unhappy with shopping here. Impossible to make returns after shopping. People are very rude and unfriendly. Very very expensive.

Visited June 2013