“So-so.. reserved online... hard to determine places that way”

Value Inn Motel - Knoxville / Chilhowie
Value Inn Motel - Knoxville / Chilhowie
Ranked #82 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
North Carolina
“So-so.. reserved online... hard to determine places that way”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We took a little weekend getaway for Father's Day. I found this hotel online with only 2 other reviews, both were simple and seemed positive enough.
Our visit:

Pros.......
Smelled very clean when we walked in. In fact the furniture was “slick” with polish residue. We had to wipe it all down (including the headboard) with toilet tissue (there was not a box of tissues in the tissue holder) because the residue left stains on my paperwork that I placed on top of the desk, and my purse left a “spot” where it soaked up the moisture. I think they polished it just minutes before we arrived.
No bugs. In a way surprising (but also a GREAT relief) as the outside of the place is a bit run down, and they allow people to “live” there for weekly rentals.
Housekeeper was polite enough and attentive.
There was a refrigerator in the room (when I called to ask about refrigerators, I was told not all rooms have refrigerators, but they would be sure to have one in our room if there was not one already).
Shower was good and hot (but the tub had no safety measure to avoid slipping, a little uncomfortable feeling).
It is on the KAT bus route, with a bus stop just a few steps away.

Cons.......
The toilet paper holder was falling off the wall. I just took the roll of paper and left it on the back of the toilet, or side of tub.
No tissues in the tissue area of the vanity.
No (working) exhaust fan for the shower/toilet room.
No soap dish or shelf in the shower area (again, the tub was slick, no mat or texture strips to avoid falls).
No coffee maker or alarm clock in the room. Coffee available only in the office.
The bed was not very comfortable, you could feel some of the springs.
The remote for the TV was so basic, no buttons to make an actual channel selection, just up and down channel and up and down volume.
No phone book in the room whatsoever.. so much for calling delivery for food if you desire that.
The WiFi was so intermittent that you might as well not even try. We called the office one night to report it being out, the night office worker said he would tell the owner; upon check out my husband talked to the owner about the wifi and he said he was never told that the internet was down. Reliable staff?
Location is not that great. Not in the slums but definitely a rough area of town. No sense of quiet. It is on a busy road, and the road noises make their way into your room. Sound retardant it is not.
With “residents” living in the hotel, I guess they feel it is "THEIR" place, and have no regards for the visitors. At 5 AM, there was some screaming outside, and what sounded like skate boarding going on in the parking lot. People are really noisy there. Just people talking infiltrates your room.

Absolutely no frills:
So if you don’t NEED sleep... or just don’t mind more than a place to shower and to rest a little bit, then this place is for you.
If you need to really sleep well.. then find another spot. Booking places online is a convenience, but I believe that you really need to call around and ask a LOT OF questions about the places.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
knoxchil, Manager at Value Inn Motel - Knoxville / Chilhowie, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We use comments like these to improve our facility. All of the issues you informed us about have been addressed with our staff. Thank you for sharing the positive comments about the cleanliness and staff. As you know we strive to provide the best value for your dollar.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Porto Alegre
Reviewed November 10, 2010

The place is simple. The group of people who attend ther can help you to find places and ways to hit them. There is a bus stop close to the hotel (on the corner). They attend the hosted very well.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
maryland
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I stay at the hotel for 4 nights.It is very quiet , clean ,safe and cheap . The server are very friendly.They help me to find somewhere I want to go.Tell me something I should pay more attention on.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business