TripAdvisor

Cuisines: Grill
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Debated between Not Watsons and Downtown Grille for lunch before a movie for our group of six. Definitely made the wrong choice. We were seated promptly and from there it went down hill. One of our party wanted the kabobs minus onions but was told not possible since they are premade. Seriously, you can't remove onions from a skewer before grilling? One ordered nachos minus jalapenos. They came with jalapenos. Ordered the game day prime rib sandwich. It was less than stellar. Our drinks were never refilled throughout the entire meal. Lastly, we had to hunt the waitress for our check. This was my first bad experience at this restaurant so I will try again. Hope it's better next time.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (810)

Reviewed September 14, 2019

Minimal wait on a VERY busy Saturday night, post game in a college town that had just won... Great window table, prompt service by Fred and was very pleased with the various selections. Check out the website, the menu is varied and extensive. I decided upon the capered chicken with sides of vegetable medley, the mushrooms and onions and I asked for extra capers. I truly enjoyed the flavors that were combined and complemented.

Reviewed September 12, 2019

This place was a suggested stop for dinner and I'm glad we went. Having never spent any time downtown Knoxville we were pleasantly surprised! Lively bar and grill with two floors. It offers more that just "bar food" as we enjoyed a GREAT fresh salmon fish dish.

Reviewed September 10, 2019

We have been stopping at the Downtown Grill and Brewery for supper ever time we attend an event at the Tennessee Theater. This time we scored Boz Scaggs tickets for the Tennessee Theater and stopped in for drinks, appetizers, and supper prior to the event.

This restaurant has been around awhile and a Knoxville tradition from past years. There are neat pictures on the walls that show “old” Knoxville. The Downtown Grill and Brewery is setup for a large capacity with an abundance of tables and booths on two floors. The menu is pretty basic with what I would call classic American food - offering burgers, fish and chips, salads, steaks and most important fine craft beers - always fresh. They also offer some Mexican dishes.

The portions are generous, the food is very good and they are well staffed to handle spikes in business. They always seem very busy from happy hour until 8 PM. I ordered fish and chips and my wife ordered a burger with appetizers and we had a few beers and wine. Service was spot on and prices for everything we ordered were very reasonable. No complaints-very consistent in all aspects and we will return.

Reviewed September 7, 2019

Be careful so you don't get ripped off here if you are paying with a card. After waiting for 30 minutes to be seated, LOUSY service from our waitress, we had to keep asking for things that she should have brought to the table already, for food that was okay at best, our waitress "accidentally" added someone else's ticket to ours. Our bill should have been $27 but came up like $60+. (The waitress kept looking at our table when we were reviewing the ticket, the ONLY time she was attentive to us the whole night) Talked to the manager on duty and he said it would take 3-4 days to take the overcharges off. (Almost any place else it can be done immediately) I talked with general manager a few days later and he kept defending the waitress and that she has been there a while and she wouldn't do something like this. (First time for everything) Four days later the overcharge was finally off (We still had to pay our original ticket) But the waitress WROTE IN HER OWN TIP! We did not put a tip on the ticket, we put a big zero on it, but she went ahead and wrote herself one anyway. I don't know if she thought we were a tourist and we would not notice or say something about it. But the way this was handled by everybody involved was unprofessional and I will not be back. That is why I said be careful when you pay with a card, that you don't get ripped off.

Date of visit: August 2019