“Nice Find”

Cuisines: Grill
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Knoxville was a stop over heading back to Jersey. Decided to drive around the college area looking for a sports bar and stumbled into the Downtown. Our luck, good food, very good service and good beer (White Mule). Didn't notice the noise like other reviewers. Had a great time.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Others have commented but I will repeat. When we say loud we mean really can't hear anyone talk, heart pounding LOUD! To try to escape the racket we opted to sit in an open outside area at the back of the restaurant (you have to go past the restrooms and through a couple of unmarked doors to find it). Unfortunately for us that is also a smoking area. Adjacent to our table two gentlemen were enjoying their beer and lots of cigarettes. More unfortunately, there was a rotating fan that in cycles blew the smoke and air right to our table. Second hand smoke and cooling food is not a recipe for enjoyment. We tried to get the fan turned off, which turned out to be difficult and took perhaps 20 minutes. Finally we gave up, packaged our food and took it back to the hotel which came with microwave. I think the food might have actually been pretty good fresh, which is why we gave an average rating. But we would not go back.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Agree fully with other reviewers who loved the food and marveled at the noise level. It's not that loud for a large bar, but definitely very loud if you judge by restaurant standards. Have eaten there several times, and everyone in my party has always liked the food, although some don't find it a pleasant setting for breakfast (depends how much you like eating breakfast in a bar--doesn't bother me).

If you go in the evening and want to talk, it's best to try to get a table outside. These can be hard to get, but my more experienced companions told me that the tables in back are open to whomever can grab them, so you might want to try entering from the parking ramp in back. The view isn't fantastic, unless you're a great fan of parking lots, but it's shaded and very cool when they have the large fans going.

Service wasn't too bad, especially considering that our poor server was covering all the back patio tables. Food came in an acceptable time, considering how big and full the place was. Server was very good.

Reasonable prices. Dinners tend to run in the $10-15 range. Beer selection is adequate. Not large by today's standards, but they usually have some decent choices.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I prefer quiet restaurants but we went to the Downtown Grill by recommendation. The food was very good even though it was loud. I would say this restaurant is for a younger age ( we are approaching 60ish)

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This restaurant is loud, hot, and can be somewhat cramped. The menu is broad and the food seems to be very good, more home-made style. I'd definitely go back for sure, but maybe on a cooler evening.

1  Thank confidentbranch