“Good hangout spot...but get there early”

Downtown Grill & Brewery
Ranked #19 of 1,200 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Grill
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Lots of people, decent food, and drinks. Loud but fun. Local favorite for college kids. Be patient and have lots of time. Always packed on the weekends.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Visited in April for the Orange and White game. I would recommend this this restaurant to anyone visiting Knoxville. We visited a couple of times ate in the restaurant on the first time and had drinks on the front patio the second night. $2.00 drafts during their happy hour would keep you coming back.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have to agree with my fellow traveller lucky_town; the food here is over-rated. Here's my humble opinion when you enter Downtown - go upstairs and I mean go straight upstairs. The wait-staff up there are friendlier, more attentive, and even the bathrooms are cleaner. You get the same menu, the same choice of beers but the service up there is what you are looking for.
A couple of the bartenders downstairs should be trained about using cell phones at work and taking care of customers.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were in town to see a show at the Bijou and had dinner here based upon the rave reviews on TripAdvisor. Clearly this is a local fave, but for foodies it's only mediocre. We had a "Surf & Turf" special, which was puzzling as it was skewered shrimp and ahi tuna or maybe swordfish. No "turf." Whatever it was, it wasn't worth finishing. And the Sunsphere Scampi, while the shrimp were properly cooked, was flavorless as well. The cinnamon apple-stuffed empanada was average. I asked for a side of caramel sauce which the server promptly honored and that definitely improved the dish. The banana split was vanilla ice cream only, not the triple flavors of ice cream we've enjoyed in other places. It was serviceable. Since we were driving, we unfortunately weren't drinking and cannot comment on their microbrews. It was early on a Saturday evening and our reservation was unnecessary as there were plenty of open tables. Service was average, and we could tell the fun atmosphere probably escalated as the night unfolded. Despite the disappointing meals we certainly enjoyed ourselves! The decor is attractive, and the patrons are obviously there to have a good time. If you don't like noisy restaurants this place isn't for you. It's wide open and there's no quiet seating areas. There is some outdoor seating which is charming. The noise level didn't bother us at all and in fact fueled our fun. Bottom line, probably great for drinks and meeting up with friends, but if you love good food - don't bother with dinner here.

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We live close to the area & frequently dine in Knoxville. This visit was our third in a year and probably our final. Waitress forgot about our appetizers & finally brought them just minutes before our meals. Could not keep our drinks (wether it was coke product or alcohol) full. At one point a few of the men in our group went to the bar to purchase drinks after sitting without them & the bartender was extremely rude. I ordered a shrimp dish & some of my shrimp were undercooked. I understand that they were busy but rudeness & undercooked food is never acceptable to me. Atmosphere was great but I don't see us returning.