“Cinders” 1 of 5 bubbles

Downtown Grill & Brewery
Ranked #21 of 1,160 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Grill, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Cinders”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Only restaurant ever where I was served a meal I could not eat. Ordered a steak, medium or medium well, and it came burned. I don't mean well done, I mean burned! The outside was literally a cinder and when I cut it off to get to the unburned inner portion I couldn't eat that either. The burned taste had permeated the meat. It was nauseating. And the server couldn't have cared less. I should have sent it back and called attention to the inedibility of the food, but we had tickets to an opening at the Tennessee Theater and did not have time to do anything but eat and run. I have never gone back and never will. A couple of times friends have suggested eating there and I always say "no thanks". Any place that can bring something like that to the table is not a place I'm entering!

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Sydney, Australia
“Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

A very good, moderately priced menu with good food. They have their own microbrewery with decent beers. A bit noisy near the bar, and upstairs near the other bar, but is a fun place to go.

Visited December 2012
“Great Beer”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stopped by the Downtown Grill & Brewery before a UT basketball game. The atmosphere downstairs appeared fun, but the upstairs bar area was a disappointment. We had just a little time to kill and decided to stick it out to try a new place. The beer was very good and our bartender was very helpful. The appetizers we tried were just average however. I did see some others being served with dinner and the food looked great, so I would be willing to give it another try.

Visited December 2012
Belpre, Ohio
“Great food, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Had dinner with my wife in July. This is THE place to eat in downtown Knoxville. Lots to see, great brew and wonderful meals. The place was packed, but it didn't take too long to get seated. As busy as it was our dinner was ready rather quickly. I really enjoy seeing the beer making equipment in the middle of the restaurant. Our waitress was great and had our drink refills even before we could ask. Excellent service and good prices.

Visited July 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Thouroghly enjoyed but felt old surrounded by young couples”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Place was recommended by driver of courtesy van. The main floor was mostly tall tables while the balcony surrounding it had most of the dinner tables. That's where we sat. Very quaint place. Wall was lined with old photos of the "woodruff" a furniture store that the bldg use to be. Waiter was very helpfull. We had the fish and chips which was plentiful and good. The dessert, recommended by our waiter was fabulous - Empenadas. I highly recommend you save room for desert.

The beer, I had a stout, was so so. It probably is not fair to compare it to a Guieness.

All and all we enjoyed it and recommend it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles