“Need to make a little more effort.”

Best Western Plus Strawberry Inn & Suites
Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Knoxville
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Need to make a little more effort.”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here on our way to Memphis as a drive by. At first glance, it seemed like a very nice place to stay. We were please to see that there was an indoor pool and hot tub. However, the pool was 75 degrees (on the thermometer--too cold for me to swim at 9:00 PM) and the hot tub was just that, there were jets, but you couldn't turn them up or direct them at your back. Other than that, there were just little things like the frick and frack show at the front desk, I asked for a rewards card and never got one, badly repaired rug right off the lobby, very noisy unit A/C and dirty carpet in the room. Breakfast was OK, the attendant was very nice and talkative, but she let everyone know that her helper had called in that day and she was very busy. She should have talked less and made sure the serving dishes and coffee dispensers were full.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Lafayette, IN
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My family and I were exhausted last night. We checked in around 11pm. The staff was professional and courteous. We would have settled for most rooms. This one reeked from smoke. I cannot begin to convey the degree of stench. They said that there were no others available. We did not stay five minutes even though we had paid for the room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I can not even give this hotel a rating! We stayed here for a D.I. Function going on in Knoxville. Held there every year! We had reserved a non-smoking room. We arrived very late and apparently got the bottom barrel rooms left over. We were on the smoking floor. It reaked smoke like I have never smelled before in my life. I am pretty sure the staff took their smoke break in our room. Requested to be changed with no effort shown at even trying to do so. Unfortunately this is what we will remember from our vacation. We needed to do a nicotine patch to kick this second hand exposure!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank Husker591
Florida
Reviewed October 4, 2012

After driving all day, we decided to use a hotel room auction website to find a decent place to sleep for a reasonable price, since we'd be there only a few hours. We ended up with this Best Western and arrived at 1:00 a.m.
I was very surprised when the desk clerk treated us like second class citizens because we'd booked through an auction site. He tried to put us in smoking room. When I asked for non-smoking, he informed us that we could expect to stay in what he classified as bottom of the barrel type rooms, when we book through auction websites. However, I've booked dozens of 3-4 star hotel rooms for short stays via auction sites over the past five years, and NEVER have I been treated any differently than a full-paying guest anywhere else.
The clerk thought he was being especially benevolent when he decided to award us a non-smoking room after all since, at this late hour, it was unlikely that people would be pouring through the front door demanding non-smoking hotel rooms. We weren't off to a very good start.
The clerk informed us that free breakfast (including scrambled eggs and sausage) was served from 6-9 a.m. and that free wi-fi was available in the room with no security code. The wi-fi signal was totally non-existent though and I wasn't able to connect at all, despite several attempts.
The hallway absolutely reeked of smoke when we got off the elevator on the 3rd floor. Our room fortunately did not have any cigarette odor ... just kind of a musty smell, which we remedied by immediately turning on the fan to import some outside air.
This 'PLUS' room had two double beds (not queens) with four pillows on each, a flat screen TV with a remote that did not work, a microwave, refridge, hair dryer, coffee maker, iron and board, lots of decent size towels, shampoo, conditioner, and bar soap.
The room seemed clean until I took a bath, at which time I carefully avoided touching the wall sides of the tub, which were lined with black mildew growing all along the ridge where the fiberglass tub meets the fiberglass wall (where there's supposed to be caulking - not mildew). I made my bath a quick one.
If you make coffee in the room, measure your cup with only half-full water to pour in the brewer so you end up with a drink that tastes like actual coffee. Otherwise it's so weak after being brewed with a full cup of water that it literally tastes like hot water instead of coffee. And there isn't a Starbucks or coffee shop within miles.
The bed was comfortable and the very effective room-darkening curtains allowed us to sleep well past daylight. We ended up missing breakfast, so can't comment on that. Check out is 11:00 a.m.
A final thought ... if Best Western Strawberry doesn't like auction website customers, then don't offer your vacant rooms on those sites. Leave them empty and forfeit the extra dollars you'd otherwise lose on empty rooms. But if you're going to accept auction customers, how dare you think you can treat them differently than any other customer? Shame on management here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FancyFree55
Jackson, La
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have stayed here twice and enjoyed both visits. The hotel is just off the interstate and amid several restaurants and fast food establishments. My room was clean, and I had plenty of room to relax. The breakfast makes the stay which a total complement of choices - eggs, cereal, sweet rolls, coffee, and juices. The breakfast hostess is outstanding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We've stayed in this hotel in August 2012. 1st floor (ground level) is very clean. However, upper floor hallways smell cigarette everywhere. It's horrible & awful. Our room was neat & organized. Bathroom is very clean. There were no mildew anywhere, which is a huge plus. We had 2 queen beds in our room, and sheets on top of them had stains all over them. We were very disappointed for having dirty sheets. The location of this hotel is great, it's right next to I-40. There are several fast-food chains around the hotel. Other than horrible & awful cigarette smell inside the upper floor hallways and the dirty sheets on the bed, this hotel is ok. The lady who prepares the breakfast is really nice & fun. Great breakfast. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Deli B
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was visiting my mother who came in town and we checked out the breakfast which was so good. I didnt have any interaction with any of the clerks when my mother checked in so i cant comment on that, but elizabeth who was the breakfast hostess was wonderful. She made us feel welcome. Meanwhile after leaving the breakfast area i went to the clerk's desk to get some change and it took at least 3 three minutes for front desk to finish up what was going on behind the counter for her to get to me. I wouldve preferred "ill be right with you" to let me know that she acknowledged me. I thought that was rude especially since ive been in the hospitality industry for almost 15 years and know that is not how i would treat a guest. Front desk needs to be more responsive, every one else was pleasant and the rooms were nice and clean. We also got to check out the pool and spa for my son and that i enjoyed as well. Kudos to elizabeth though.

• Stayed September 2012