“Not like it use to be”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Strawberry Plains, Tennessee
“Not like it use to be”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I have been getting the spaghetti lunch/dinner for years and in the last year and a half or so the spaghetti sauce has gotten worse. The last time and probably final time was July 24, 2012, you could tell that they had JUST added water in the sauce and had no taste at all and was very runny. When we first started eating there the sauce use to be very thick...now the sauce is more watered down than the last time we order. I started to call them and complain this last time (it was a to go order) but I kept putting it off. They use to have really good spaghetti but not anymore! They call it garlic bread but 99 of 100 times there is no garlic...just melted butter spread over bread. Our order total was $23.93 for 2 very bad dinners (I have the receipt hanging on the fridge). I hate this....it use to be a place we would call in a spaghetti order and look forward to. Sorry Louis..maybe someday you will go back to making the sauce as good as it use to be.

Andersonville, Tennessee
“The BEST spaghetti ever!!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I always order the spaghetti dinner with meat sauce. It is unbelievable!! It has a little kick to it which makes it extra special. Order extra sauce, small up charge so you can dip your bread in it. You are served a bread basket that is refillable. Also ask for the parmesan cheese. It is not the think grated kind you get in the grocery store it is the small chunky kind. A small green salad with homemade dressings and crackers are also served with your dinner.As for appetizers, the onion rings hand cut and deep fried are stacked high and are so so good. Homemade desserts too but I can never seem to make it that far. Portions are large, I usually take about a third of mine home but my husband has no problem finishing his. They have great service. If there on a weekend there may be a wait but it never takes that long. If in a hurry they have a carry out carhop service on the side of the building. You can even call your order ahead to pick up there as well. A good family restaurant or even couples, moderately priced.

Visited July 2012
volsfan12
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Too pricey for ok food”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Took my family to Louis. I got the chopped tenderloin steak and spaghetti and it was good. My wife and 12 year old daughter both got the lasagna. We ordered the cheese pizza from the kids menu for our 4 year old. The pizza was ok at best and the lasagna was good but very small portion for the money. My salad was just shredded lettuce, a couple grape tomatoes, two cucumber slices and a piece of onion. Many in our party got the lasagna too and commented on the small sized portion. When we got our bill it was $65.00. (2 adults and 2 kids) We could have went to Carrabba's and got a great appetizer, entree and dessert for what we paid here. Staff was nice.

Atlanta, GA
“Overpriced terrible food! Tastes like Chef Boyardee.”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband, who is originally from Knoxville, suggested we visit this restaurant because of their long-standing reputation in the Knoxville area. Upon looking at the menu, I noticed that their Italian choices were fairly limited. Their non-meat choices were very limited. Not that I am a vegetarian, but I tend to prefer non-meat pasta dishes. My husband ordered the fettuccini alfredo, and I ordered the ravioli/manicotti combo. Thinking that the salad would be like a typical Italian restaurant, I was shocked to see that our salad was a bowl of shredded lettuce that you would find on a sandwich. Your only choices of items on your salad were: tomatoes, cucumbers, and onion; cheese was an extra cost. Really, an extra cost for cheese when my meal cost $11.95? When our entrees arrived, the first thing I noticed was the small portion that I received. My 2 different pastas were not separated; they were mixed together in a small dish. After tasting it, I then realized that it really tasted like what you would get in a can of Chef boyardee pasta. The noodles and sauce were both very bland. I really thought that maybe it was just my dish. I tasted my husband's alfredo and realized it wasn't just mine. His dish was very bland as well. There was no evidence whatsoever of any fresh garlic on anything. His sauce was like what you would find on a grocery store shelf. Stouffer's frozen pasta would have even tastier!! The bread that was served with the meal was soft. I believe it was the BBQ bread that you find at the grocery store with butter and garlic powder on it. Again, there was no fresh garlic....I looked. We ended up paying almost 35 dollars for a meal that we could have picked up at the grocery store for 10-12 dollars. Please, please go and explore more restaurants that serve good Italian food.

“Overpriced Canned Itialian”
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

There is a reason why Chief Boyardee is mentioned in other reviews. Also shredded iceberg lettuce is NOT a salad.
I really dislike leaving negative reviews but Louis' does not appear to even be trying to serve good food. That being said I know some people like it.